Help me pick a whistle??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Fyndhorn-Kroog
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Fyndhorn-Kroog »

Hello all,

I bought my first whistle, a tweaked Clarke in 99 but had to but it down for a few years due to health issues (asthma). Well with the help of my doctor I found that the asthma was caused by the house cat so I found the cat a new home an am now looking for a new whistle.

Within the last 6 months I have purchased a sweetone D and Susato D and like both of them but I am looking for something with the volume of the Susato but not so shrillish in the upper B.

Is there such an animal?
Bloomfield
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Bloomfield »

You need an Overton.
/Bloomfield
avanutria
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Hush, Bloo.

Have you considered a Dixon pvc? You can get them at http://www.thewhistleshop.com or http://www.tonydixonmusic.co.uk . There are some current threads comparing susatos to dixon, check them out. I think one has a sound clip, too.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

In fact, you need TWO Overtons.

So there, Ava.
/Bloomfield
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

A couple of things come to mind:

A Clare 2-piece has good volume (though less than Susato), and has a very sweet upper octave, and is very forgiving on breath control. It has a very traditional whistle sound.

A Susato VSB has the volume of its original counterpart, but a much easier, sweeter upper octave. A Dixon is very similar; both are great whistles.

Finally, for more money but MUCH more volume without a harsh upper register, Michael Cronnolly is now making whistles. There are two options, a Really Loud head which takes only moderate air, and an Ungodly Horribly Loud head which takes the air of a flute. The Really Loud head is slightly louder than a Susato, the Ungodly Horribly Loud head is about twice as loud as a Susato. (The names for the replaceable heads are mine, by the way, not Michael's!)

Best wishes, whatever you choose,

--James
http://www.flutesite.com
skywatcher

Post by skywatcher »

You need 3 Overtons!
"Watchin' the sky, ready to fly!"
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

i have had a water weasel which i thought was very good for the money. loud, but not shrill, clear and dead on tuning.
tomcat
Tell us something.: Used to live in Gilbert, AZ which is a suburb of Phoenix. Recently moved to Portland OR. Argh. Not sure if this is meeting the requirement of number of characters, but I'm trying.

Post by tomcat »

but i can't even spell oventon
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Nope - at LEAST 4 Overtons.

Or, assuming the questioner isn't as rich as Bloomfield, a Dixon or Water Weasel should do nicely.
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

I am rich because I have love in my heart and a smile on my lips.

And anyway, an Overton is cheaper than a Silkstone, go figure. And louder.
/Bloomfield
Jens_Hoppe

Post by Jens_Hoppe »

Much as I like Overtons, I have found the high D whistles to have as shrill a high B as any whistle out there...
nickt

Post by nickt »

If you've had asthma you may not need an Overton - the upper register takes some blowing (good as they are).

What's your budget? For lower price go for Dixon, mid price go for Burke, high end price go for Rose (all IMHO of course, no writs please).
mike.r

Post by mike.r »

On 2002-10-22 21:06, Fyndhorn-Kroog wrote:
Hello all,

I bought my first whistle, a tweaked Clarke in 99 but had to but it down for a few years due to health issues (asthma). Well with the help of my doctor I found that the asthma was caused by the house cat so I found the cat a new home an am now looking for a new whistle.

Within the last 6 months I have purchased a sweetone D and Susato D and like both of them but I am looking for something with the volume of the Susato but not so shrillish in the upper B.

Is there such an animal?
Yes there is,but it,s a C whistle.A generation C whistle exhibits a very even range in both octaves and has a very good sounding fipple.Susato C whistles are also more ear friendly and even on the top end.I think we forget how piercing any loud sound produced in this octave is...a fiddle is loud but actually plays an octave lower than a high d whistle and is more tolerable to the human ear.Many of us prefer Generations for the simple reason they have that `just right´volume on the high notes.:smile: Mike
Fyndhorn-Kroog

Post by Fyndhorn-Kroog »

On 2002-10-23 04:33, nickt wrote:
If you've had asthma you may not need an Overton - the upper register takes some blowing (good as they are).

What's your budget? For lower price go for Dixon, mid price go for Burke, high end price go for Rose (all IMHO of course, no writs please).
I heard the Rose lastnight and fell in love with it's sound. I am not above spending 200.00 for a good quality whistle if it is what I want.

<font size=-1>[ This Message was edited by: Fyndhorn-Kroog on 2002-10-23 09:03 ]</font>
madguy

Post by madguy »

I'd say a Silkstone!