A whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Clare Charlton
antispam: No

A whistles

Post by Clare Charlton »

Hi
I'm new to this forum and would welcome any thoughts on A whistles that are around, I am considering getting one. I have a Dixon D tuneable alloy which I enjoy but would be happy to have something with a more breathy / sweetone sound and maybe a bit louder for a change. I prefer the tuneable whistles ....any thoughts anyone?

thanks
Clare
celtic rose

Re: A whistles

Post by celtic rose »

Welcome Clare,

I have an old narrow bore Susato A that I bought off E Bay and I must say it is one of my favourite whistles. Lovely tone, easy to blow, quick response. Just a good'n.
arnie

Post by arnie »

The Black Diamond from Erle Bartlett (maker of Syn Whistles) might be a consideration. It's known to stand hold in sessions, so it's loud enough and it's known to have a traditional sound, which is more breathy. It's €83,- new on Gaelic Crossings.com.
Another traditional sounding and a little louder whistle is the Freeman tweaked Mellow Dog, US $36.50 on various shops. Lark In The Morning has a set of D/C Mellow Dog for $41,-.
Susato is very loud and maybe too loud and certainly has no traditional chiff. Also listen to Clips and Snips on this site, you hear many tunes played on many different whistles. Succes!
riverman
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by riverman »

For a long time I have been looking for the whistle that Chiff and Fipplers call their "reach for" whistle or their "cold dead fingers" whistle--the one whistle in which you find your sound and playing characteristics, the one you utterly love. I found it in the Burke low A aluminum. Such a wonderful sound, a bit husky, a bit fluty, yet high enough to sound unmistakably like a whistle. Yet it's low enough not to blow my ears out, even on the highest note. And I can play it with my fingertips (with a very slight change of angle in my right wrist). No need for a piper's grip.
I think A whistles don't get the credit they deserve!!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I concur with Riverman, the Burke aluminum A is my favorite. The Water Weasel A is another one I like a lot.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I have a blue anodized Overton by Colin Goldie, and love it. It did take me a bit of time to learn to support the upper register with my breath but once I did it's been great. The problem was me, not the whistle.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Loren
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: You just slip out the back, Jack
Make a new plan, Stan
You don't need to be coy, Roy
Just get yourself free
Hop on the bus, Gus
You don't need to discuss much
Just drop off the key, Lee
And get yourself free

Post by Loren »

I also have a Goldie A (and Low D and Low C and Soprano C and Alto F and.....) which kicks ass.

'Nuff said.

Loren
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

I have a Dixon A, in that black plastic-y composite/whatever that material is. It's nice, I'm happy with it. I assume it's not as nice as a Burke or Overton, but it's a lot more affordable.
Steve Bliven

Post by Steve Bliven »

To add to the list, I have a Sindt A that is of the same quality and style as the rest of his line of whistles - that is - outstanding. Just wish I could convince him to make a G tube that fits the head.

Best wishes.

Steve
Live your life so that, if it was a book, Florida would ban it.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

The best "bang for the buck" in A whistles is the Tommy Dion A. It's quality is far above its price range, way better than Susato, IMHO, and into the range of the high end whistles with a low end price. Same for his low G.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

Well, I don't play the higher whistles much other than low D's, but I do have a very nice Harper Classic A/G set in aluminum (bought from another Chiffer, thanks Steve) that I really like-good solid tone and playability, and with both tubes too. It has a tone similar to an Overton, and is styled much like one-though it has a few nice trim details that sets it apart, including a flare on the bell end of the whistle.

Considering how much I play it, I probably should just offer it up to you guys who do play the mid range low whistles. I just can't get my hands comfortable on the higher ones, and my ears are used to the low tones of the D too. But I can say this is one of the first A's and G's I've liked this much after trying a few others-it's a very good set to have two tubes that each sound this good. Unfortunately, there aren't many of these around to be had if you want one though, but a good play none the less.

Barry
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I like the Alba A whistle and it is not very expensive. It is a very nice sounding aluminum whistle. It is about $135.00 USD depending on the exchange rate. It fits my fingers just right. For me it is easier to play than a Gen Bb.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Duffy

Post by Duffy »

RonKiley wrote:I like the Alba A whistle and it is not very expensive. It is a very nice sounding aluminum whistle. It is about $135.00 USD depending on the exchange rate. It fits my fingers just right. For me it is easier to play than a Gen Bb.

Ron
I have to second Ron. I've just finished a week with a touring Alba A whistle. It was an easy fit for my stubby fingers and a true joy to play.
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

If you can play flute try a little A bansuri (indian bamboo flute).
I got one from Jeff Whittier, a veteran US based maker for about
45$ some years ago.
Fingerholes are excellent for sliding style.
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit