Howard vs. Burke Viper

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
The Laughing Imp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Howard vs. Burke Viper

Post by The Laughing Imp »

Can someone point me to a photo of the Howard Low D side by side with a Burke Viper? Maybe there's a website out there that's done a comparison? I have a Howard and I'd like to compare the finger span between the two. I'm finding the Howard difficult to make a seal with my fingers. After two years of the ol' college try I'm ready to concede defeat. (Especially since I might be hurting myself.)

If you've had a chance to play the two, I'd love your comments as well. I'm thinking of trading in my Howard for a Viper, but need to do some research before plunking down $300.

Thanks in advance.

D
Lovin' life with my Burke DBS

Looking for a Clarke Enchanted Tinwhistle (http://is.gd/1nPK). PM me if you have one for sale...
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Re: Howard vs. Burke Viper

Post by plunk111 »

I've owned both (don't any more since I've gone to the dark side - flute) and can't really remember and finger-spread issues with either, but I did have to use pipers' grip on both. However, playing-wise, there is a huge difference. The Viper (IMHO) is superior in almost every respect. The Viper is easier to play, nicer tone, nicer on the lips, etc... An added benefit to the Viper is the ability to adjust the lower three finger hole alignment. I've owned both the aluminum and brass versions of the Viper, BTW, and like the brass better.

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

The Viper also has a rotatable bottom hole which can make your life easier.

Mike also makes an EZE Low D which is quite manageable stretch-wise with very little loss of amazingly wonderfulness.

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

Oops just noticed that Pat had already mentioned the rotatability of the Viper holes.

Doc

PS Did I mention that the Viper's bottom hole could be rotated?

Doc's Website

plunk111
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Oops - forgot to mention that you can adjust your right hand position on the Viper by rotating the lower part of the whistle :wink:

Pat

P.S. Doc - which do YOU like better (or is that uncool to say for a dealer of both)?
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Greg Connor
Tell us something.: I'm facinated by the simplicity and the ability of the irish whistle. I use it mainly for accent while recording music.

Post by Greg Connor »

I have the Aluminum Low D Burke Viper. It's a great whistle that is easy to play!

There have been a few comments about the tone on this site, and it really does have a unique "Burke" tone. Some like it and some don't.

In my opinion, it's well worth the money they're asking.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

plunk111 wrote:Oops - forgot to mention that you can adjust your right hand position on the Viper by rotating the lower part of the whistle :wink:

Pat

P.S. Doc - which do YOU like better (or is that uncool to say for a dealer of both)?
I've only played one or two pre-owned Howards and can't speak for his current work. The Burke is quite fantastic.

Doc

Doc's Website

A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

Years ago I had a Howard Low D, but found, after a lengthy trial, that I couldn't cover the holes adequately. Too bad...I really liked the "foggy" sound of it!

I've had a Burke Viper for some time, and it's much easier to handle...for me. Mike's whistles are very "ergonomically correct," in my humble opinion.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
The Laughing Imp

Post by The Laughing Imp »

A-Musing wrote:Years ago I had a Howard Low D, but found, after a lengthy trial, that I couldn't cover the holes adequately. Too bad...I really liked the "foggy" sound of it!

I've had a Burke Viper for some time, and it's much easier to handle...for me. Mike's whistles are very "ergonomically correct," in my humble opinion.
That's exactly the same problem I am having with the Howard Low D. I love the sound—and you can't beat its shiny metallic green coloring :D—but I can't cover the holes adequately without great strain. I just can't seem to find a balance between death grip with seal and relaxed grip with no seal.

I love my Burke brass session in D. That's what's made me eye the Viper. You say it's easier to handle. Are the holes smaller? If so, is the instrument longer, requiring a wider piper's grip? Can you recall? Thanks!

Thanks for everyone's feedback. I'd still love to see a photo of the two whistles side by side… Even better would be to find someone in the Salt Lake area with a Viper which I can hold my Howard up next to for comparison.
Lovin' life with my Burke DBS

Looking for a Clarke Enchanted Tinwhistle (http://is.gd/1nPK). PM me if you have one for sale...
RonKiley

Post by RonKiley »

I had trouble with the Howard and couldn't always seal the holes. I found two things that helped. First I used a hand cream on my hands. Second a friend gave me a Dixon low D which I found to be easier to seal. It helped me to finger the Howard properly. It worked for me. Your mileage may vary.

Ron
I've never met a whistle I didn't want.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

RonKiley wrote:I had trouble with the Howard and couldn't always seal the holes. I found two things that helped. First I used a hand cream on my hands. Second a friend gave me a Dixon low D which I found to be easier to seal. It helped me to finger the Howard properly. It worked for me. Your mileage may vary.

Ron
I will second the suggestion of a hand cream to soften the skin to seal whistle holes. I went through the same thing years ago with an old Howard low D. Long story short is I tried ''Corn Huskers'' hand lotion. It was like magic. Sealed the holes, and also gives a little friction to help hang on.
I did sell that Howard to board a member in Hawaii along with a C tube I made for it. I bought an Overton low D and am keeping it. But as Amusing said about the foggy growl of the Howard, after years without one I had a chance to trade a whistle someone else wanted.
So now I have an Overton low D for cosmic growl, and a new style Howard low C for foggy growl. The other neat thing about the Howard is it accepts a 1'' aluminum tube. So I will be making some other tubes for it.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086