Need help - Recommend a Polishing Cloth for Brass Whistles

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Grexrell
antispam: No

Need help - Recommend a Polishing Cloth for Brass Whistles

Post by Grexrell »

Hi

I have a Burke Whistle in Brass, and I've decided to keep it shiny.
(Tried it both ways)

Anyway, out of the various methods to keep your Whistle shiny, It looks like polishing cloths are the most hassle free,
and are better suited for frequent use. (at least to me)

But...

Where should I get them?
I checked the local music stores, and they only have cloths for Lacquered Brass instruments, not unlacquered.
(which according to my research, is what the Burke whistles are)

Looks like the internet is my only hope.

So can you recommend a good website to get them from?
Maybe a particular brand of polishing cloth?
I'm in Canada, so a site willing to ship here is appreciated.

Once I get an answer I'll post it here, as well as how well the cloth I get works.
(For future reference to some unknown Whistler who wants to know years from now etc..)
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Need help - Recommend a Polishing Cloth for Brass Whistles

Post by MTGuru »

I've had glowing recommendations from friends I trust for Sunshine Cloths. Available from Vera's Fashion Jewelry on eBay, in quantities from 1 to 25:

http://stores.shop.ebay.com/Veras-Fashi ... ubZ6111365

I'll be getting some of these as soon as my current rouge cloth is depleted. I guess you can inquire about shipment to Canada.

Blitz Cloths for unlacquered are probably good, too, but seem to be harder to find.

For the occasional, once-a-year super shining, I really like German-made Simichrome Polish. The tiniest bit does an entire whistle, and the 50 gram tube lasts forever.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Grexrell

Post by Grexrell »

They sound like what I'm looking for, so I put through an order for them late last night.

Bought 6 for $11.85 plus 50¢ shipping to Canada (USD)

Thanks again.
I find it alot easier to purchase something when it's recommended, especially by those using it for the same purpose.
Grexrell

Post by Grexrell »

Status report.

I got the cloths in the mail, and have had the opportunity to use them twice.

They work well.
They are 2 sided, and should last a while.
They don't take off ALL the patina. (There is some heavier stuff on the head, that is a bit thicker)
But it does get most of it clean and shiny. I'll throw some Brass cleaner on the head soon, to catch it up with the body, and then I should be able to use the cloths more effectively on the head a well.

So far they work well, and make it alot easier to shine up the whistle just before I head to Friends/Relatives to play for them.
(Takes way too long when using liquid brass cleaner)

Thanks for the recommendation!
tucson_whistler

Post by tucson_whistler »

i love this website; i searched for "brass cleaner" and found this article; it's exactly what i needed to know. :)

cheers,
eric
Sindt D | Gene Milligan blackwood D | Burke low D | Olwell keyless blackwood Eb/D/C flute
http://shakespeareanreview.com/
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

vinegar and salt
eskin
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by eskin »

For years, I've been using the "Cape Cod" polishing cloths for brass:

http://www.capecodpolish.com/products/main_index.php
slowair

Post by slowair »

kkrell wrote:vinegar and salt
I absolutely agree. Looks good, tastes great!

Mike

For those who missed it and don't want to search... (It's been so long, I can't remember the original author)

Heat a glass or two of vinegar in a pan, bring it to boiling while dissolving kitchen salt in it to saturation. I.e. keep adding salt and stirring until the salt doesn't seem to dissolve any more. It does take a lot, like half-a-glass of salt.

Watch out, do this soup in a well ventilated kitchen: there's chlorine evaporating.

Let it cool outside. Pour in a bottle, slowly to leave the salt deposit in the pan. Stopper the bottle for storage.

This liquid is non toxic, use it on a rag to remove stains on brass/copper whistles (I clean my Sindt with it). Wipe dry. If you dislike the faint vinegar smell remaining, wash with soapy water before drying.
kkrell
Tell us something.: Mostly producer of the Wooden Flute Obsession 3-volume 6-CD 7-hour set of mostly player's choice of Irish tunes, played mostly solo, on mostly wooden flutes by approximately 120 different mostly highly-rated traditional flute players & are mostly...

Post by kkrell »

actually, for very grungy bits, wet a strong paper towel or cloth with a bit of vinegar, shake on a little salt, and scrub away the gook. Use just straight vinegar to brighten. This gets the whistle clean, but doesn't overdo. To get a good sparkle, then perhaps one of the polishing cloths is a better way to really bring on the shine.