Probably a Dumb Question - KEYS

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Chuck_Clark
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Probably a Dumb Question - KEYS

Post by Chuck_Clark »

I love the sound of a low D or G whisle. The problem is that I can't play one anymore.

I was never worth squat with a pipers grip. Now my fingers, particularly the right hand, have become so arthritic that I can no longer span the lower holes without pain.

Does anyone know of a way to add keys to an existing whistle - WITHOUT marring the surface? Ideally, I'd like to find a removable solution. I'd be looking first at Dixon plastic low D or a Chieftain low G. Only if it worked and was provably damage-free would i try it on my big brown Overton.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
benbrad

Re: Probably a Dumb Question - KEYS

Post by benbrad »

You might try Daniel Bingamon with Jubilee Whistles. I think he has put keys on whistles. Maybe you can send him your whistle and he can install a key or two. Not sure.
Ben
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Chuck, before resorting to keys, have you tried using your built-in extender key ... namely, your pinkie? That is, use your B4 finger in place of B3. In combination with the middle joints of B1 and B2, that can be quite comfortable. Add a neck strap or thumb strap to take support tension off of your bottom hand, and you might find that you're back in business.

The Susato retrofit keys are stick-on/glue-on, I think. Don't know that they'd fit your whistles, or if they'd sell them separately. Guess you could ask Mike K. about that.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

Yeah, I didn't even realise I was using my little (pinkie) finger on the low D til someone pointed it out to me, but it works well and is very comfortable.

I am also worried about pain in my finger joints. Is it repetitive strain or arthritis? Do I have to stop whistling for a week to find out?

Having returned to whistling later in life (40 something) I worry that my new found love will be taken away from me before I get a chance to get any good.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
AvienMael
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by AvienMael »

Infernaltootler wrote:Yeah, I didn't even realise I was using my little (pinkie) finger on the low D til someone pointed it out to me, but it works well and is very comfortable.

I am also worried about pain in my finger joints. Is it repetitive strain or arthritis? Do I have to stop whistling for a week to find out?

Having returned to whistling later in life (40 something) I worry that my new found love will be taken away from me before I get a chance to get any good.

Without meaning to go too far off-topic...my father, now nearly 80, was finally able to pursue gypsy jazz guitar seriously after retiring, only to have problems with his hands like you are describing. He tried a lot of different things, and then he came across something that has worked for him. If you Google "Dyna Flex gyro ball" you will see what it is. He told me that since he got this thing and started using it he feels like he has new hands. Maybe it could help you too.
Playing, not paying.
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

To put a key on a whistle without marring the surface is a little tricky but not impossible.

One method is to mount the key using hose clamp. The key/clamp assembly could then be fitted on the whistle with a teflon tape to protect the finish. The key would be actuated using phosphor bronze leaf springs used on Clarinets and Flutes like those made by Ferree's Tools.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:To put a key on a whistle without marring the surface is a little tricky but not impossible.

One method is to mount the key using hose clamp. The key/clamp assembly could then be fitted on the whistle with a teflon tape to protect the finish. The key would be actuated using phosphor bronze leaf springs used on Clarinets and Flutes like those made by Ferree's Tools.
My high school instrument was a trombone. I never even tried a woodwind. Does pressing a key open or close the hole? Ideally, I'd think that the keys would be easier to use if pressing the key closes the hole...
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
jiminos
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by jiminos »

both.... on mine, keys on the main part of the body open holes (cause the pads closing the holes to be lifted)... on the foot (end furthest from headjoint) depressing a key causes either the C#, C or both pads to close the holes.)

the above is for a simple system keyed flute... other systems (such as Boehm) vary widely from system to system.

be well,

jim
Jim

the truth is not lost.
do not search for it.
accept it.