New whistler from Portugal

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whistler Bard
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

New whistler from Portugal

Post by Whistler Bard »

Hello there!

I wasn't sure this would be the place to introduce myself, but since I saw more topics like "new whistler from..." I tought I could give it a try!

So I'm portuguese, and I happen to love Celtic music. I play bass guitar (had a band, played a couple of gigs) but I don't play it for some months now. One beautifull day when I was listening to some Celtic music (it's one kind of music that spurs my feelings the most, be it happines or longing for something) I decided to do some search about the Irish Flute... I found the Whistle.... and here I am!

Besides the love for the tunes and the sound of both the Whistle and the Flute, I wanted a instrument I could carry around, would not make me carry lots of equipment (yup, the bass days!), and most important: that made me want to play it!

Ok, so the post is getting big, and hopefully not against the forum rules (sorry I didn't read them :P ) I want to defy you to check my new blog: http://thewhistlerbard.blogspot.com , that is a kind of journal about my new experience of learning how to play these two wonderfull instruments!

Cheers!
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: New whistler from Portugal

Post by mutepointe »

Welcome. I took a look at your blog. You seem excited. I first heard the song Suo-Gân in the movie, "Empire of the Sun." I was so captivated by that song, I watched the credits and had to figure out what song it was. Then I went to our music store to ask for the sheet music. I had thought is was an Asian song.

Keep us up on how your progress goes.

I went to your country when I was a teenager, a very very long time ago to see Fatima and Coimbra. You live in a very nice place.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Maitín

Post by Maitín »

Whistler Bard wrote:Besides the love for the tunes and the sound of both the Whistle and the Flute, I wanted a instrument I could carry around, would not make me carry lots of equipment (yup, the bass days!)
I see I'm not the only bass player who now learns to play Clarke's tin whistle. :D

BTW Suo Gân is really beautiful! I remember it from EotS (and the soundtrack itself is excellent, especially "Cadillac of the Sky", one of my favorite Williams' compositions). P.S. This is a nice version (but you cannot play your whistle along it if you don't happen to have a C whistle): http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xK2R-596FZE
Whistler Bard

Post by Whistler Bard »

Hello guys, and thank you for the replies!

mutepointe: Thank you for visiting the blog, and thank you for telling me about Suo-Gân, I admit I didn't knew it, I saw EoTS a looooooooong time ago, and didn't even recall the music. After checking it, i'll surely give it a try!
My country is beautiful yes, but it's getting worse day by day, specially where I live (Lisbon, the capital city). I long for some hills, and calm beah sides...and I not THAT old, case you all think I am :P

Maitín: Heheheh i've checked your intro post and I noticed you were a bass player too :P But are you a classical bass or a electric bass player? I play electric one, but for now it's just laying aside with the case full of dust.

BTW, using the post for some more pub :P The Whistler Bard blog is updated everyday :) (link in my signature)
ahogrelius
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

Whistler Bard wrote:Heheheh i've checked your intro post and I noticed you were a bass player too :P But are you a classical bass or a electric bass player? I play electric one, but for now it's just laying aside with the case full of dust.
Funny, it seems there are a lot of bass players that got tired of carrying all that heavy equipment around and turned to something lighter. -Yep, I belong to the same group of musicians too. My electric bass has been collecting dust for some 10 years now... :)

Cheers,
Anders
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
Whistler Bard

Post by Whistler Bard »

ahogrelius: Heheheh really? It's seems it's a destiny for bass players :P Well, the reason was more than the heavyweight, off course. I had a band, quited (it is sometimes harder than having a wife :P ) and I lost interest in it. Then when I wanted to play alone at home, I had to connect cables, find a place for the amp, turn switches, and so on and so on... so I started playing less and less. Eventually I grew bored and tired of it (and I wasn't like a great player or anything, just a casual player). It is really awesome that I can just take the whistle from where it rests and it's ready to play. Not to mention the fact that with the whistle alone you can play a song, make everyone understand it and all...with the bass sometimes it's not that easy.

And I'm going to sell, not all but most, of my bass equipment, it's money just there in the corner with a ton of dust :P

Now...back to the whistle! Have a nice Sunday!
Maitín

Post by Maitín »

Lol, so there is another one... :D I play both electric bass and a double-bass. The electric one is Fender Precission from 1978 (heavy like hell), but a good model. The double-bass is Amati which my dad bought when he was a young, and still sounds pretty good. I won't quit playing the bass, but I'm less interested in it for some two years. I play when I'm asked to. I had a gig this saturday, and now there are two instruments that are fighting for my fingers. The bass wants hard skin, and the whistle soft skin on my fingers. :D Because of a thick skin layer, I thought I'll have more problems playing the whistle, but it seems that there aren't any problems. And it's getting better every day. I got Bill Ochs' and L. E. McCullogh's workbooks, and I'm looking forward to making progress. :thumbsup: It seems that the bass has gotten outta spotlight... :P
Whistler Bard

Post by Whistler Bard »

Maitín: are those the books you most recomend? I was thinking In buying one at some point. Even if the internet these days is a great teacher if you're into it!
Maitín

Post by Maitín »

Yup, I think those two are the best choice, but the more experienced might want to correct me. Besides that, video lessons by Ryan Duns could be useful: http://www.youtube.com/user/RyanDunsSJ if you'll ignore the repetitive "claim your voice in the Irish tradition" phrases. :D
Romulo

Post by Romulo »

Bemvindo e boa sorte com o whistle! A propósito, como vocês traduzem whistle aí em Portugal? A tradução literal para ´apito´ fica estranho... uma vez vi traduzido como ´flautim´ o que não soa muito apropriado também...
Whistler Bard

Post by Whistler Bard »

Romulo: sinceramente não sei, eu chamo Tin Whistle na mesma, porque a tradução é meio estranha sim. Há quem traduza para "flauta irlandesa" mas isso é um instrumento diferente, por isso não sei mesmo!

In English: Romulo was asking how we translated "Tin Whistle" to portuguese, and I told him that I simply didn't translate because the translations are really not accurate, and one of them is the same as "Irish flute" which would take people to thing it's the same thing.

:)
john_t

Post by john_t »

Só falo um pouco de portugues. Sou o John. Sou do País de Gales. Peco desculpa... Moro em do País de Gales. Sou da Inglaterra.

Donde é? Lisboa??

Potugal é muito bonito.

Já foi a País de Gales? Está um tempo maravilhoso(!)

Está a chover...

Gosto de morangos.

Nao sprechen die galesa....... :P

Wilkommen!
MTGuru
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Eu acho que temos o mesmo problema em espanhol. A palavra "pito" quer dizer whistle em geral, mas pra mim isso indica algo não muito sério, como um brinquedo pra bebês. Então, creio que a gente diz "whistle" (a whistle?) quando falamos da flautinha vertical irlandesa.

I think we have the same problem in Spanish. The word "pito" means whistle in general, but to me that indicates something not very serious, like a toy for children. So I think that people say "whistle" (feminine?) when we talk about the irish (vertical) flute.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Maitín

Post by Maitín »

MTGuru wrote:I think we have the same problem in Spanish. The word "pito" means whistle in general, but to me that indicates something not very serious, like a toy for children. So I think that people say "whistle" (feminine?) when we talk about the irish (vertical) flute.
It's the same in Croatian. Literal translation of whistle would be "zviždaljka" which means rather a toy or a referee's whistle, but fortunatelly, we have a word "frulica" which indicates an end blown flute (as opposed to side-blown), so we simply translate it "irska frulica" ("irish end blown flute") or more often just leave the name "tin whistle" as it is.
Romulo

Post by Romulo »

MTGuru wrote:Eu acho que temos o mesmo problema em espanhol. A palavra "pito" quer dizer whistle em geral, mas pra mim isso indica algo não muito sério, como um brinquedo pra bebês. Então, creio que a gente diz "whistle" (a whistle?) quando falamos da flautinha vertical irlandesa.
Oh my gosh :boggle:
ImageMTGuru how many languages do you know?
I had already seen your posts in Spanish and French, but Portuguese too?!!Image

Here in Japan the literal translation ホイッスル "hoissuru" (which is actually a "japanized" transliteration from the English) has the same connotation as a toy or the sports stuff. Some people simply say 笛 "fue" (flute), or 縦笛 "tatebue" (vertical flute).

Romulo (Brazilian lost in Japan)