Where's the nicest place you have whistled?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
caitlin ruadh
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Where's the nicest place you have whistled?

Post by caitlin ruadh »

squidgirl wrote::) Great pics, blackhawk :) . For whatever reason, it just tickled me pink to see you right there with your whistle in all those awesome locations. :lol:

Ditto!

Caitlin
blackhawk
antispam: No

Post by blackhawk »

caitlin ruadh wrote:
squidgirl wrote::) Great pics, blackhawk :) . For whatever reason, it just tickled me pink to see you right there with your whistle in all those awesome locations. :lol:

Ditto!

Caitlin
Thank you, Caitlin, Squidgirl and Whistlecollector. Just for you three, here are a few more:

in the background, the famous India Gate, in New Delhi:

they wouldn't allow me into the Taj Mahal with a whistle, so I had to go a mile or two away, to Fort Agra and take this pic from there:

and Fort Agra wasn't half bad itself:

then there was the famous Red Fort of New Delhi:

and atop a Mayan temple named Xunantunich, in Belize, with the ancient city and jungle down below:

and Chichen Itza in Mexico:

and one of my all time favorite places, Piper's Stones, County Wicklow, Ireland:

and now you have all suffered enough. :D
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
Infernaltootler

Post by Infernaltootler »

Fantastic pictures - reminded me of the bloke who dances all over the world on You Tube
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kcFq0z26V3w

You should set the photos to whistle music and slide show them on YouTube - that would be great.

P.S. You beat my castle.
Finally feel like I'm getting somewhere. It's only taken 6 years.
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

Though not nearly as visually stunning as the places Blackhawk and others have played, one was when I was still with the band SlipJig and opened a Gaelic Storm concert at Work Play in Birmingham, AL. THAT was a magical evening all around and the crowd was amazing. http://www.slipjigband.com/SlipJig%20Ba ... llery.html. Scroll down to large photo of the band with caption "A Celtic Evening" - Birmingham, AL Feb 26, 2005". I'm on guitar in the photo but played whistle on three tunes that night. All the instruments behind us are Gaelic Storm's.

Another was being asked by Grammy nominee Claire Lynch to play whistle with her band in a special Christmas concert a few years ago. Another memorable evening. No photos from that night but Claire's web site is: http://www.clairelynch.com/

Trust me, when I get to Ireland I plan to play whistle in all the places I've only dreamed about.
blackhawk

Post by blackhawk »

Infernaltootler wrote:Fantastic pictures - reminded me of the bloke who dances all over the world on You Tube

You should set the photos to whistle music and slide show them on YouTube - that would be great.

P.S. You beat my castle.
Your castle is very cool, Tootler. I didn't beat anything because it's not a contest. It's just a bunch of us having fun sharing the experience of whistling in fun places. I travel a lot and photography is a hobby of mine, and I carry a whistle in my backpack, so it's only natural for me to say to someone "Hey, get a pic of me over there, okay?" I didn't mean to hijack your thread, my friend, I just wanted to share a little of what I've been doing the last few years.
Nothing is so firmly believed as that which is least known--Montaigne

We can easily forgive a child who is afraid of the dark. The real tragedy of life is when men are afraid of the light
--Plato
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Singing up the sun at the Grand Canyon will be hard for me to top for sheer niceness. The ravens seemed to enjoy it, too. They even sang along a bit. And the acoustics were extraordinary. :)

Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

OK, speaking of pics.

The Voron'ya bay, shore of Arctic ocean, the world's end. Here.
We had a real session there - tinwhistle, fiddle and guitar.

Also played on the top roof of Moscow University building, biggest of "stalin's skyscrapers". Half of moscow seen from there.
(sorry, no pic of mine)

Also the abandoned limestone mines under moscow. Nooo, not tourist stuff - you get there with your own light on your own risk, crawling in mud.

The very nice thing about these places is that you can't just pay money to get there.
DCrom

Post by DCrom »

blackhawk wrote: Your castle is very cool, Tootler. I didn't beat anything because it's not a contest. It's just a bunch of us having fun sharing the experience of whistling in fun places. I travel a lot and photography is a hobby of mine, and I carry a whistle in my backpack, so it's only natural for me to say to someone "Hey, get a pic of me over there, okay?" I didn't mean to hijack your thread, my friend, I just wanted to share a little of what I've been doing the last few years.
Are you going to share the Almaden cougar story? Even if you don't have pictures?
Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

Infernaltootler wrote:Fantastic pictures - reminded me of the bloke who dances all over the world on You Tube
That guy stole a dev kit from my company...
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

This is one of my favorite places on the planet. Big man-made lake, clean, fresh, green water. (It's West Virginia, not the Bahamas.) Close to home, only reachable by boat. On a lake that only permits less than 10hp motors. In a part of the lake that boats with motors can't reach. We canoe. Right behind that stand of trees is a wide secluded cove with a narrow inlet. Get there early in the morning and it's yours alone all day. Water that gets chest deep in the middle, sandy bottom, great bass and catfish fishing. Plenty of other wildlife. This is where they take the nuisance bears that make it into the cities. It's almost time.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Aw, have mercy, mp--I already have spring on the brain as it is!!!

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

Oops, sorry. I know how you feel though. My best friend is a real weinie-butt about cold water. I have learned a long time ago I just have to wait for him to be ready. There are other folks who will go canoeing with me in early Spring. Anyway, he told me the other day that he has had problems sleeping lately because he keeps dreaming that I keep waking him telling him that it's time to go canoeing and swimming. So he dreams that he gets up, gets dressed, and goes canoeing. The ice has barely melted off the water.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
khl
Tell us something.: Longtime member of Chiff and Fipple. I own/have owned more whistles than a person should, I think. But I’m not complaining.

Post by khl »

WyoBadger wrote:Aw, have mercy, mp--I already have spring on the brain as it is!!!

T
As I remember, you're still in Grad school. Get's tough this time of year, but hang in there.
Keith
talasiga

Post by talasiga »

I would paddle out into the uninhabited sides of a tropical lagoon with my Sweetheart D whistle
and improvise whatever the beauty directed me too.
Mangroves, gnarled and ponderous fig trees, shimmering by the brine,
volcanic mountains blue against the sullen humidity.
Multicoloured fish and mysterious birds of prey.

Fisherfolk would sometimes drift by,
a lull in their singing for to listen to my whistle
and to smile those gleaming smiles
Then take up their song
in a deeper strain
my whistle could never reach
qui jure suo utitur neminem laedit
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

this thread is great! I love Blackhawk's stuff!

It seems that I usually don't have a whistle with me when I travel.

I did take my Burke Low D when I visited my grandfather at the "cabin" he built in the 1920's situated on the banks of the beautiful Greenbriar River in deepest West Virginia.

This place is very remote and unspoiled and takes hours to get to.

Here he is doing what he likes best- sitting on the porch enjoying the view. He was 97 years young at the time.

Here I am on the porch with him. Earlier I had stood on the banks of the Greenbriar and played My Laggan Love. My grandfather's comment:
"That sounds Injun."

I guess bagpipes don't count, but here I am, later that July, on the ramparts of Stirling Castle on the way to the 2007 Bridge of Allan Highland Games. The village of Bridge of Allan is in the valley below.

Later that week we performed in George Square, Glasgow:

Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle