Low Whistle Recommendations

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Mason

Low Whistle Recommendations

Post by Mason »

I'm really wanting to get a low whistle. I can't afford to purchase one I don't like so I thought I would get some advice.

I don't particularly like the sound of even tweaked Generations or Mellow Dogs (It's sound too "tin" like - which is the whole point. It's a tin whistle. So the problem isn't with the whistle, just my taste). I sort of like the sound of a Clarke, particularly the airy sound (although I don't like passing out from all of the breath needed!). I tried to make a pvc whistle, and I actually really like the sound. My Burke (A) is simply beautiful (someone gave it - I could never afford one!).

Can anyone untangle the above and give a recommendation for a low whistle?

Thank you - as always - for your help!

Mason
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Low Whistle Recommendations

Post by MTGuru »

FWIW, I think it's hard to compare high whistle and low whistle tone. The characteristics that make a particular high whistle sing for you are not necessarily the same that make a low (D) whistle shine. So I think you're better off starting from a clean slate of expectations.

I consider the Overton/Goldie low D the reference instrument against which others can be compared. And I think describing tone in words is ultimately futile. You just have to try the different instruments yourself. One's personal background - taste, breath training (e.g flute), favorite music, etc. - chiefly determines whether a particular whistle will suit. Overton, MK, Chieftain, Burke, Copeland, Dixon, Howard, Susato, all have their charms for someone. :-)
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
gerardo1000

Post by gerardo1000 »

My favorite low D is Overton. But if you like the airy sound of your Clarke, I would suggest you to try either a Chieftain V3 or an Alba Vibe.
By the way, they both cost considerably less than an Overton.
A-Musing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by A-Musing »

Another "airy," non-harsh-sounding Low D is Michael Burke's Brass Viper. (DLBVP)

It's a big brass beauty, IMHO. Gentle, yet powerful enough.

Experience with different lows, whilst being time and money-consuming...seems to be the most promising route to one you'll really love.

Good luck.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
Guidus

Post by Guidus »

Shamelessly blowing my trumpet... You could consider a GG Low D. It's made of PVC, it sounds airy (but not too much), and it's pretty inexpensive. I make them :-)
gerardo1000

Post by gerardo1000 »

I had a Burke Viper low D in aluminum and it did not seem airy at all to me, if airy means "breathy".
Perhaps the brass version sounds different ?
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I've played most of the low D's out there and MTGuru's advice is right on the money.

Asking for recommendations can't replace the experience of actually playing the things.

Every low D is different, and each make has its proponents and detractors. Only you can decide, by actually trying them, what is right for you.

I went out and spent, at one go, around $1500 on low D's, played them all extensively, and sold all the ones I didn't care for.

Really, this is the best way. Yes you have to put out the money, but you can always quickly sell off whatever whistles you don't want to keep, so in the end it's no more expensive than just buying one whistle and hoping you'll just happen to get the best kind for you.
Richard Cook
c1980 Quinn uilleann pipes
1945 Starck Highland pipes
Goldie Low D whistle
Makar

Post by Makar »

You've got to try a few as others say. Wish I could get round to selling some that I don't use - so far I have given two away, a Ralph Cook and a Dixon low d. One to a good friend (a piper) with a surname of Cook - it just seemed right! I gravitate towards the Overton and Burke Proviper on nearly every occasion. Although the Alba and Chieftain do get aired.

Good luck - and enjoy the fun of trying.

Stephen
Last edited by Makar on Tue Feb 17, 2009 9:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
There is no such uncertainty as a sure thing!
mcurtiss
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

since you like the Clarkes, what about a Shaw Low D? They sell for about $120 and seem to have that breathiness you enjoy (at least from the reviews I've read)
gerardo1000

Post by gerardo1000 »

I went out and spent, at one go, around $1500 on low D's, played them all extensively, and sold all the ones I didn't care for.
Really, this is the best way. Yes you have to put out the money, but you can always quickly sell off whatever whistles you don't want to keep, so in the end it's no more expensive than just buying one whistle and hoping you'll just happen to get the best kind for yo
I agree with Pancelticpiper. I also bought almost any low d available in a period of one year and compared them. I re-sold most of them and kept only a couples that I prefer according to my personal taste.
In total, I have probably lost a small amount of money in the process of buying and re-selling, but I consider it a good price to pay to reach "peace of mind" regarding which is the best whistle for my taste.
A-Musing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by A-Musing »

gerardo1000...

Yes. The Brass Viper sounds much more "breathy," "airy," and "diffused," than the Older Aluminum Vipers, anyway. (Mine is a 2006)

I've heard that the latest Aluminum Vipers may sound more like the Brass.
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
gerardo1000

Post by gerardo1000 »

I have an aluminum Viper made two months ago and its sound is loud, clean and pure, however I cannot define it "breathing" or airy, if for airy we intend a bit of "noise" in the sound or a bit of turbulence.
To me, the Burke Viper low D (at least the aluminum one) even in its recent incarnation, is very different from
"breathy" low Ds like the Chieftain, the Alba Vibe, and also very different from Overtons.
If you like the sound of the original Clarke D because of its "breathiness", I am not sure that the Burke would be the right choice for a low D. Unless, as already said, the brass one is very different from the aluminum one.