OK everyone... I need to buy a new whistle. Suggestions?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MojoXN
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

OK everyone... I need to buy a new whistle. Suggestions?

Post by MojoXN »

My beloved Oak D, my first whistle, has developed a crack in the fipple.

:(

Anyway, the sound is terrible, and I've decided to finally buy a new whistle.

I've heard good things about the new Generations, specifically that their quality control has greatly improved, and that the majority of their whistles to come off the production line these days are outstanding instruments. Does anybody know if that is the case?

Also, with respect to buying a Generation, I'm concerned that even if their newer whistles are quality instruments, I may end up with an older model when buying from an online retailer.

Back to my original question... Does anyone have any suggestions as to what I should look into? Whatever I get will have to be a straight model (nothing conical), less than $20 (preferably around $10 - I'm quite poor) and preferably able to get to the upper notes of the 2nd octave without being excruciatingly loud.

So eveyone, let 'er rip. What should I buy?
The only thing that makes life worth living is loving others more than yourself.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: OK everyone... I need to buy a new whistle. Suggestions?

Post by MTGuru »

Why not another Oak?
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
MojoXN

Post by MojoXN »

Well, I considered getting another Oak, as I've grown quite fond of the one that I have been playing for the past two years, but in truth, it wasn't as fine an instrument as my lavish praise might make it seem.

When trying to hit the high notes in the 2nd octave, I noticed that it was entirely too loud, and that the 3rd D was unreachable. Normally, I wouldn't care so much, except that a few songs in my reportoire require playing that damnable note.

MTGuru, what would you recommend, if anything?

:-?
The only thing that makes life worth living is loving others more than yourself.
mcurtiss
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

i like my Oak, but I'm totally in love with my Dixon Trad. I'd chose it over the oak 6 days of the week.

I am somewhat underwhelmed with my generation brass D. lots of plastic bits to sand away and just not as nice to play as any my other whistles. maybe i got an "older" version, but i purchased it at a store where the should be lots of turnover.

IMO, I'd go for a Dixon Trad at $26. don't buy any capuccinos for two weeks and there's the extra $6 right there. :D
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

For cheapies, I've always like my Feadóg the best, followed by my Oak. My Generation is OK, but has some extra buzz in a few notes.

The Oak is a bit harder to play than the others, IMO.

If you can swing a few more dollars you might get a Dixon Trad. I haven't played one myself, but they've gotten some good reviews.

Another option is to save $10 more and get a Hoover Whitecap for your Oak body. I have one and it's a pretty sweet whistle. It takes more push than the cheapies.

For probably the ultimate in lower-cost whistles, there's always the option to get one of Jerry's tweaked versions. I (and many) would recommend the Mellow Dog. The Blackbird is his new one that is getting great reviews, but sound like they like better breath control (I'm imagining similar to the Oak), so that one may not be for you. You can get either one for about $40 shipped I believe. Twice your budget I know, but something to think about.

Jason
whistlegal

Post by whistlegal »

PM sent....
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Jason Paul wrote:For probably the ultimate in lower-cost whistles, there's always the option to get one of Jerry's tweaked versions.
And for the ultimate ultimate solution, make your own using Guido's method.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

MojoXN wrote:MTGuru, what would you recommend, if anything?
The Dixon Trad and Freeman Blackbird are on my short list, too. Both can easily hit your high D. :-)

My everyday whistle is a $5 brass Feadóg with the putty tweak.

BTW, if the crack in your Oak mouthpiece doesn't extend onto the fipple blade itself, just the collar ... A few turns of electrical tape around the collar, and maybe a bit of glue in the crack, should seal it as good as new. I have a cracked Feadóg C that plays just fine. And try the putty tweak to tame those high notes.

Also remember, if you get another 1/2 inch Generation-type whistle, you can try the head on your Oak body, and preserve some of the characteristic sound of the Oak tube.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
okstatepiper

Post by okstatepiper »

I really like my Dixon Trad and recomend it over my Generation. The cost is around $25.00. I play the Dixon more than any of the other whistle that I have including several "higher" dollar whistles. What about getting a Hoover head and putting that on the Oak body? I don't know if they fit a 1/2 inch tube.
KISS ME, I'M IRISH, Scotch, Dutch, Choctaw, and Okie!
billval3

Post by billval3 »

Several of you mentioned the Dixon "trad." Which one is that exactly? I've been looking at several different ones on his site and have been trying to decide which one to buy. I'm willing to spend a little extra cash to get something that will play well right out of the box.
Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

Whistle and Drum carries the Dixon Trad -- http://www.whistleanddrum.com. They're sold out of the ones in D at the moment, it seems, but at least you'll know what you're looking for if you decide to go elsewhere for them.

Specific link to the Dixon Trad is here: http://www.whistleanddrum.com/tony-dixo ... sh-whistle
billval3

Post by billval3 »

Okay, thanks. I wanted to confirm. So that's the non-tuning one. I was thinking about the one with the tuning slide. It appears to be the same thing, but with the brass tuning slide. Do people here think that it's worth it to pay extra for the tunable model?
okstatepiper

Post by okstatepiper »

I don't think you need to spend for the tunable one on the Dixon Trad. The head is moveable and take care of tuning, which you only need is playing directly with another whistle or other similar instruments. Mine is not out of tune, but other whislte are :D .
KISS ME, I'M IRISH, Scotch, Dutch, Choctaw, and Okie!
mcurtiss
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

it's not a tuning slide but a slidable (is that a word?) mouthpiece. it moves very easily but does not slip in the mouth when played.
billval3

Post by billval3 »

mcurtiss wrote:it's not a tuning slide but a slidable (is that a word?) mouthpiece. it moves very easily but does not slip in the mouth when played.
I understand what you're saying, but for what it's worth "tuning slide" is the terminology his website uses:

"Tony Dixon Manufacturing has pleasure in introducing the re-designed and improved Soprano D Whistle with an aluminium body. Back by popular demand, the return of an old friend - now renamed - the DX006 incorporates the internal tuning slide on an aluminium bodied high D."

It's model #DX006.

@ okstatepiper: So you're saying that the mouthpiece moves on the model without the "tuning slide?"