Mic for whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Rhadge

Mic for whistle?

Post by Rhadge »

Going to buy a mic to record whistle, guitar and mandolin.
About 100 euros is what I'm thinking of paying, max.

From what I understand, there's a significant difference between "large membrane" and "small membrane" mics, the former having their own sound while the latter are entirely "natural".

When it comes to small membrane mics, I already know a good one, so I'm asking here if there is any large membraner that I should consider buying instead?
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Re: Mic for whistle?

Post by MTGuru »

Here are a few threads about whistle microphones:

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=63734
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=52065

The Shure SM57 or SM58 (dynamic mikes, basically identical) is a commonly used whistle mike for both recording and live performance. It works well as an all-purpose mike, and the price is exactly in your range.
From what I understand, there's a significant difference between "large membrane" and "small membrane" mics, the former having their own sound while the latter are entirely "natural".
I would think the opposite is true, though I'm no expert.

I've used small condenser mikes like the AKG C1000S (around 150 Euros), which is particularly nice for guitar and mando but maybe more "crisp" than needed for high whistles. My only experience with large condensers is in the studio. But I doubt you'd find a good large diaphragm condenser like the AKG 414 - a studio standard - for much less than 600 Euros.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Rhadge

Post by Rhadge »

Thanks.

From what I gather from those threads though, the SM57/58 seems most fit for amplification and wind instruments?
I would love a mic that works with both guitar and whistle equally good.

I read something about a SM57 with external padding that can be removed depending on the nature of the instrument... maybe that's something for me.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Rhadge,

If you would like an example, the clips located here (playing skill aside) were done with the SM58 and a Tube MP Project Series preamp. It made for a very crisp recording with very little noise. It was also very easy to keep the high end from peaking without losing the low end.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

That's a good idea, straycat. All the clips in my signature links were recorded with an SM57 and Behringer Xenyx 802 board (preamp).
Rhadge wrote:I read something about a SM57 with external padding that can be removed depending on the nature of the instrument... maybe that's something for me.
The SM58 is a vocal mike with a built-in pop filter, but it works fine with instruments, too. The SM57 lacks the filter, which is the only real difference between the two (apart from the shape). If you like, you can get an external foam wind screen for the SM57, and use it only when you need it. I usually leave it attached, but it's not necessary for a properly miked whistle, or for string instruments.

http://store.shure.com/store/shure/en_U ... .105905200

Rhadge

Post by Rhadge »

I see, then I guess the SM57 without filter is all I need, since I'm going to record indoors, without background noise or any wind blowing.
I guess it's partly from your excellent playing, but still the sound in those clips is very good. Goes to you too, straycat.

Now, as long as it works with guitar, mando and bodhran too (when I get one late next year), I will buy one.

The only side-effect I can see with it is that it doesn't pick-up as many high and low frequencies compared to condenser mics.
Don't know if that makes a very noticeable difference though? It would be nice if it could pick-up the bass from bodhran or guitar.
Ballyshannon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ballyshannon »

Hey MT....

What whistle did you use for Gallagher's Frolics and Flowers of Edinburgh on the GG Clips link?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Ballyshannon wrote:What whistle did you use for Gallagher's Frolics and Flowers of Edinburgh on the GG Clips link?
GG = Guido Gonzato. :-)

Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

MTGuru wrote:
Ballyshannon wrote:What whistle did you use for Gallagher's Frolics and Flowers of Edinburgh on the GG Clips link?
GG = Guido Gonzato. :-)
Duh. :oops: Didn't put the two together. Nice sounding whistle and great playing as always.
whistleman922
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by whistleman922 »

i've always found the SM58 to work best for me on whistle. in the studio and playing live. The 58 has a wider sound cone( \ / ) which you can use for dynamics. I've always found the the 57s are very direct( l l ) in the sound they pick up. If you move a little to the side of the mic the sound drops off completely whereas the 58 has a wider range and thus gives you more flexibility in playing dynamics and being able to back off the microphone and sort of self-compress on the really shrill notes.
I only really can make comment as regards the whistle though. I know nothing of how the 58 interacts with guitars and mandos.
Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Light a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.~terry pratchett
West

Post by West »

I wouldn't recommend SM57/58's for acoustic string instruments. It kinda works if you have a decent preamp, but the result isn't stellar. Of course, micing acoustic instruments is an entire field of science and I can't say I'm particularly good at it. It might be possible to get good results with dynamic mics (and it also depends on what kind of sound you're looking for) but to save you a lot of headaches I would recommend getting a cheap condenser mic. In fact, I have just ordered a Behringer C1 (~€50 or so) for that exact purpose.
Trying is the first step towards failure -- Homer Simpson
Rhadge

Post by Rhadge »

West wrote:I wouldn't recommend SM57/58's for acoustic string instruments. It kinda works if you have a decent preamp, but the result isn't stellar. Of course, micing acoustic instruments is an entire field of science and I can't say I'm particularly good at it. It might be possible to get good results with dynamic mics (and it also depends on what kind of sound you're looking for) but to save you a lot of headaches I would recommend getting a cheap condenser mic. In fact, I have just ordered a Behringer C1 (~€50 or so) for that exact purpose.
Thanks. That was kind of what I wanted to know, in addition to the whistle aspect.
But will a condenser mic be okay for whistle then?

Or should I just have one mic for whistle, and another for acoustic string instruments?
West

Post by West »

Rhadge wrote:Thanks. That was kind of what I wanted to know, in addition to the whistle aspect.
But will a condenser mic be okay for whistle then?

Or should I just have one mic for whistle, and another for acoustic string instruments?
Actually, I don't know (yet). Dynamic mics work fine for whistles, but I've never tried recording a whistle with a condenser. I can't see why it wouldn't work though, as long as you mind your levels. A condenser can usually pick up a yawning gnat at five hundred paces so it's probably wise to back down the input level a bit ;)
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

whistleman922 wrote:The 58 has a wider sound cone( \ / ) which you can use for dynamics. I've always found the the 57s are very direct ( | | ) in the sound they pick up.
But if you look at the published cardioid patterns from the Shure technical specifications, you see a different story:

Shure SM57:

Shure SM58:

The cardioid patterns are ... identical. For example, at 1 kHz - around 1st octave B on a high D whistle - the -5dB cutoff is ~80 degrees off-axis for both microphones. The 58 may seem subjectively like it has a wider spread because of the round ball, but it's just an illusion.

The bottom line is that either microphone is a good all-purpose mike for whistle, strings, or vocals. Apart from the pop filter, the choice of shape is just a question of personal preference.

West

Post by West »

MTGuru wrote:The 58 may seem subjectively like it has a wider spread because of the round ball, but it's just an illusion.
That's right. Remove the ball from a 58 and you get a 57, pretty much.