My first session - a real humbling experiece

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
space cadet
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

My first session - a real humbling experiece

Post by space cadet »

Hi, everyone, I had the opportunity a couple of weeks ago to be invited to my first session. It was held in a private home, very impressive and a lot of fun. I don't know when I have been in one room with so much talent. I have been playing less than a year, didn't know a soul except for my brother (who brought me), and sat there shyly holding my little Sweet tone while everyone else played like a runaway freight train. It was so wonderful - I at least was familiar with the tunes they played, but no way could I keep up. One of the whistle players was so sweet, she came and sat next to me. She said that they needed to play at least one song I could join in on and asked me what I knew really well. I asked for Star of the County Down. The fiddler kicked it off; I joined in, but it just wasnt right. About half way through the song I realized why - I play that tune in 3/4 time in a slow waltz tempo. They were playing it in 2/4, painfully slow. I so wanted to speak out and ask for a do-over, if we are going to play it in 2/4, lets do it up to tempo and do it right. Also, I squeaked and cracked on the opening notes. I felt so sad; my one big chance and I blew it. What would have been the correct thing to have done? I hope someday I get another chance to play in a group of people; where I live is whistle desert.
Linda
john17

Re: My first session - a real humbling experiece

Post by john17 »

Linda,

How great that you had the opportunity to play with others. Especially in a private setting rather than a noisy pub. Even so, I bet you were nervous. I know I would be.

I live in the Milwaukee area, and have yet to play with anyone else. I've been playing off and on for about a year and a half. I know if I had the opportunity, I'd botch it really good. I always get nervous performing in front of others.

I sang in my church choir for about 6 years, and every time I had a solo part, my heart would race a million miles an hour and my breath would get shaky. I laugh about it because I was singing to a congregation of half-deaf old people. lol

I'm not sure what you could have done differently, and I don't know if session etiquette allows for "do-overs" ;) Did the nice lady who sat next to you comment after Star of the County Down? Does your brother play an instrument? I would suggest getting back on that horse, but maybe your brother (if he's more accustomed to this group) could work with you on a couple tunes he knows they play. I bet if you got really, really good at playing just one song with them, a big weight would be lifted from your shoulders.

Whatever you end up doing, keep practicing and keep inserting yourself into those groups. It'll help you grow in your abilities. Then, when you report back with good news, maybe I'll get up the guts to try it someday!! :)

Take care,

John
Belgian_Waffle

Post by Belgian_Waffle »

I know how that feels. I've recently started attending sessions and I'm nowhere near good enough to play at the speed required. It's like trying to drive a car, stalling on the intersection and not finding the right gear (yes, I'm European). Meanwhile, everyone speeding of in the distance and by the time I'm back on track, everyone's gone...

But then after a session or three, I managed to play along with one tune, for one repition and boy, did my heart soar...

Next time 'round, I play the full tune !

So keep at !!! Practice !!!
Makar
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Makar »

I play with just a few other folk every week and although I can play some of the tunes reasonably on my own, I often fail to deliver in the group. I have been told it improves and I believe everybody has been there before you so you are not alone. It is really good experience though for sure. Do the group thing as much as you can I would say!

cheers
Stephen
There is no such uncertainty as a sure thing!
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

You didn't "blow it".

:)

Everyone has to start somewhere.

That you had the guts to step up and play in front of everyone is quite an accomplishment!

Next time will be a little easier.... and even more so after that.

If this is something that is done regularly try and go.

Get yourself a digital recorder of some sort.

You can then later "take home" your session and learn the tunes in the settings your group knows... at your own pace.

Its what I do and its been a big help.

There is no rush... only that you enjoy what you are doing.

Learn a standard tune a bring it with you to share.

The skill of playing with others is only learned one way really.

It seems you have a friendly group.

Very cool.... good times.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Post by colomon »

space cadet wrote:It was so wonderful - I at least was familiar with the tunes they played, but no way could I keep up.
You're actually lucky there. I still vividly remember the time I happened to be in Toronto and popped by the Dora Keogh session for an hour. I'd been playing at sessions for a year or so then -- thought I was getting pretty good at it -- but I didn't recognize anything they played during that hour.
About half way through the song I realized why - I play that tune in 3/4 time in a slow waltz tempo. They were playing it in 2/4, painfully slow. I so wanted to speak out and ask for a do-over, if we are going to play it in 2/4, lets do it up to tempo and do it right. Also, I squeaked and cracked on the opening notes. I felt so sad; my one big chance and I blew it. What would have been the correct thing to have done?
Once they are done, "I know it like this" and play a bit of it (or maybe once through) your way would be my suggestion. This sort of confusion happens fairly often in traditional music.
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Keep at it! Many sessions are very newbie friendly: everyone was a beginner once.
Go as often as you can, even if you don't play much. Just absorb the music and the atmosphere.
Silently "finger along" with the tunes if you don't know them well.
Work up one or two tunes to the point that you are REALLY confident in them and keep them in you bag of tricks
for when you're invited to start a tune.
Most of all, just have fun.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
buddhu

Post by buddhu »

Aanvil wrote:You didn't "blow it".

:)

Everyone has to start somewhere.

That you had the guts to step up and play in front of everyone is quite an accomplishment!

Next time will be a little easier.... and even more so after that.

If this is something that is done regularly try and go.

Get yourself a digital recorder of some sort.

You can then later "take home" your session and learn the tunes in the settings your group knows... at your own pace.

Its what I do and its been a big help.

There is no rush... only that you enjoy what you are doing.

Learn a standard tune a bring it with you to share.

The skill of playing with others is only learned one way really.

It seems you have a friendly group.

Very cool.... good times.
Very sound advice, and Aanvil is right - you didn't blow it. You did great to have a go. :party:

So, well done and don't be discouraged. You even recognised what the problem was with the tune you tried - and it was a simple misunderstanding. You spotting the problem seems like a good sign to me. Next time you'll be in with a better chance.
And whether the blood be highland, lowland or no.
And whether the skin be black or white as the snow.
Of kith and of kin we are one, be it right, be it wrong.
As long as our hearts beat true to the lilt of a song.
iwanttotoot

Post by iwanttotoot »

Linda,

My heart goes out to you. Don't feel discouraged, it takes time to get to the point where those wonderful folks are.

I speak from experience as a pianist and beginner tooter :love: I often felt that way when I was learning the piano but I would never let it get me down because I knew someday with practice and experience I'd be able to do the same thing. The same thing applies to the whistle. The more you practice the more fluent and natural you will get.

If it were me in your situation, I would have stopped when they got ahead of me and just listened. After it was all over I probably would have asked for another round a bit slower in order to keep up. The one thing I've learned about music is that the people are so wonderful and supporting of the common love we share of making music.
whistleman922

Post by whistleman922 »

Congrats on your first session!! The greatest lesson I ever took (and still take) from sessions is what I can do well and what I do poorly. I'll never forget one session about 4 years ago (which means I'd been sessioning for...6 years?) it was the first time I had sessioned outside my own town. I went to Chicago for a full day of sessions and spent 2 1/2 hours listening to tunes that I didn't even recognize. the only tunes I played all night were the ones that they asked me to start. It was still an amazing night. and it helped me realize that I really needed to work on my abilities to pick up tunes on the fly during a session. at this point (I may be flattering myself in saying this) I think I could pick up just about any tune by the 3rd or 4th repeat, and that wouldn't have happened if I hadn't had that wake up call :poke:
Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Light a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.~terry pratchett
MusicalADD

Post by MusicalADD »

Yeah, the "rough start" -- I think most of us have experienced that. I sure did... more than once.

I think the only way to avoid having that first session be a rough start would be to practice, practice, practice, practice..... before doing any sessions. But, if you do that, if you refrain from going to sessions till you're really skilled, well then you're missing out on the social interaction for a long time. So I think it's better to go to sessions sooner, rather than waiting till you feel you're "good enough" whatever that means.

One tip: When you're practicing, at home, practice along with a recording, as often as you can. Or, practice with a metronome. I find that's very helpful, it helps me identify which part of the tune I'm having the most trouble with.
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

First time is always the hardest, I have some bad stories from my first time, but it only gets easier :D . Good luck in the future.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Keep in mind that a session for a beginner should be just as much (if not more) about listening than playing along. If you attend a session and don't know a single tune, don't see that as a failure but take the chance to soak it up and learn from the experience. Never let your playing abilities (perceived or actual) keep you from going and listening and enjoying the craic.
The only way of moving on in terms of mistakes in public is to make them and just let it roll off your shoulder. It gets easier with time. If you are a beginner then folks will expect you to sound like one and so long as you are respectful and know your place within the group there is no shame in that. I've been playing in sessions for almost three years now and my nerves still get the best of me when I play solo or kick a tune on my own. The more you do it the easier it gets though, especially if you stick around the same crowd.
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

There's some very good advice here. Sessions like this are also a great opportunity to ask questions and get help from experienced players either during a break or after the session. Some may be willing to do a bit of teaching on the side if you ask. One of the experienced whistlers/pipers in our weekly session group is currently teaching both whistle and pipes to a couple people who were coming to the sessions and expressed an interest in learning...and simply asked if someone would be willing to teach them. One of our experienced fiddle players is teaching a beginner who had come to a few sessions and asked if he'd be willing to teach her.

I've done many sessions over many years, and have found most experienced session players to be friendly and willing to share their knowledge, and this one-on-one time can be invaluable, even if it's only 10 or 15 minutes. If you hear someone playing a tune the way you want to play it, or using ornamentation you want to learn, ask them (at an appropriate time without interrupting the flow of the session) if they'd mind showing you what they're doing. I've done my share of brain-picking and I've yet to have anyone flatly say, "No!" I'm always flattered anytime someone asks me to show them something I'm doing on whistle at a session and I enjoy sharing. There have been many nights I'd planned on getting home at a decent hour, but after the session some of us would trade licks and work with newbies for another hour or so. It's all good. It's especially satisfying to see a newbie pick up on something new that he/she can take home, work on, and contribute at the next session.

Don't be afraid to ask.
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

BTW-- do you read music?
Bring a note pad to sessions and write down the names to tunes you like. Then, you can look them up at home and learn them.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!