What's your favorite / least favorite key?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tikva
antispam: No

What's your favorite / least favorite key?

Post by Tikva »

West's thread on "What's your least favorite whistle?" and a recent visit to a recorder-playing friend got me wondering. The more I heard of her alto and bass recorder, the more I disliked the regular soprano one.

Would that be the same for you with whistles? What's your oppinion?

What are your favorite keys?
What are your least favorite keys?
And of course... why?
whistleman922
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by whistleman922 »

i don't know that i could say that I have a least favorite. two years ago i would have said Bb, and Eb. But now i have a wonderful Bb that is an absolute joy to play so, while i still haven't tracked down a satisfactory Eb, i'd have to say that i've accepted it for what it is because i really just judge the key by what whistle it's played on.

As for my favorite keys...well I'd have to say D, A, and my low F without doubt. No real reasons for that, they just appeal to me more than the others. I have more fun playing in those keys.
Light a man a fire and he'll be warm for a night. Light a man ON fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.~terry pratchett
bill
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by bill »

I like low F the best, it has the low whistle sound but also some of the qualities of higher pitched keys. It seems to me like a good balance between high and low keys...
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

I second that....I absolutely love my Overton Low F
Ian Wilson
"If only my skill matched my passion"
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

The only non-D whistle I have is my Gonzato alto G, and I like it a lot, for just the reasons mentioned. It has a lovely flute-like sound in the first octave, but still sounds bright and "whistly" in the second octave. The size is such that the fingering is no problem at all.
chas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by chas »

Interesting, F is my least favorite key. I've tried an Overton F; I've owned F's by Burke, Schultz, and Grinter and an F flute by Mark Hoza. I've finally decided that there's just something about a tube tuned to F that I find unappealing. I like playing in F on baroque flute, though.
Charlie
Whorfin Woods
"Our work puts heavy metal where it belongs -- as a music genre and not a pollutant in drinking water." -- Prof Ali Miserez.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I like the sound of Eb but it's too shrill for my taste on the whistle. I especially enjoy listening to Matt Molloy's early solo recordings on his Eb flute.
On the whistle D and G just feel like home (not a G whistle, but those keys played on a D whistle). I also enjoy the sound of Am and Bm on the D whistle.
I really enjoy the sound of a good C whistle. I also love playing my Gen Bb but rarely have the opportunity to outside of my own musings.
I don't much care for the sound of low whistles.
Also, some of my favorite piper recordings are played on C, B or Bb chanters.
West

Post by West »

There seems to be some confusion -- at least judging what people have posted -- as to whether we're talking about keys in general or whistles in specific keys...
Trying is the first step towards failure -- Homer Simpson
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I was confused the same so I mentioned both. The thread said "favorite/least favorite key" but folks started talking about whistle keys.
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

My favorite key is B natural. I'm also quite fond of E natural. Quite like F too.

My least favorite is C.

I have several quite excellent C whistles but C just leaves me flat for some reason, which of course is a bit odd as the key of C has no flats. :P

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

Expressing one's dis/like of a particular key signature is kind of pointless given that all twelve are musically equivalent in an even temperament context.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

Guinness wrote:Expressing one's dis/like of a particular key signature is kind of pointless given that all twelve are musically equivalent in an even temperament context.
Not really. The different keyed whistles sound different because they are higher or lower. I don't think we're talking about key sigs, but whistles in different keys.

Me, I've never met a low G I didn't like.

T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Guinness wrote:Expressing one's dis/like of a particular key signature is kind of pointless given that all twelve are musically equivalent in an even temperament context.
So they all sound the same then? All set the same mood?
Tikva

Post by Tikva »

WyoBadger wrote:Not really. The different keyed whistles sound different because they are higher or lower. I don't think we're talking about key sigs, but whistles in different keys.
That's correct. Even if the title of this thread seems to have caused some confusion, everybody got it right in the end.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

straycat82 wrote:
So they all sound the same then? All set the same mood?
I stand by my statement (notice how I had not mentioned the word whistle). Obviously whistles do not all sound (or play) the same. Gotta love value-subtracted responses.