Thinking of getting another whistle

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
rap4th
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Thinking of getting another whistle

Post by rap4th »

Hello all!!

I recently started playing the tin whistle using a Walton whistle (the non mellow one). I like it pretty well except when I play a C-natural. It sounds so airy and....well....blah. I am using the 0xx000 method of playing the C-natural. I use that method only because it is much easier then trying to half-cover the top hole. Also, the 2nd octave G, A & B really sound shrill and sharp.

I was thinking about getting a Susato Kildare S Series Pennywhistle in High D as my next whistle. I would like to hear anyone's comments on this whistle and do you think it is a good whistle for a beginner.

Also, I love the sound of the low whistle and would not mind giving that a whirl as well. Should I wait until I get better at the regular tin whistle before trying the low whistle?

Just to let you know some history of me...I played the trumpet for 10 years and I know how to read music. I am taking lessons from a tin whistle player every other week. I just had my 2nd lesson and I know all the basics as far as fingering for the tin whistle and I was just shown how to do my first ornamentation: hits. So I have been practicing that recently.

Rob
Welshman

Post by Welshman »

Aaah I see the dreaded Acquisition Syndrom has already struck - it affects all of us, so welcome aboard.

With regard to the Susato, I am afraid I tend to be a bit of a purist and favour metal over plastic any day. Having said that, if you are likely to play in a variety of different environments the Susato will be easier to keep in tune. Given how much you are going to spend, have you thought about a tweaked Freeman? Or even a little cheaper - a Dixon brass. Both are within your budget and sound ridiclously sweet.

As for the low whistle, well there will be people on here who will tell you to wait .. and wait .. and wait. At one level their argument makes sense - learn the basics on the high D and then transpose what you have learned onto the bigger baby. Having said that, you are already a practiced musician so you are no red raw beginner. In that event, I am likely to go along with the argument that was given to me - if the baby is calling to you then you have only one response ... "Come to Daddy/ Mummy." Unfortunately I waited months before taking this advice and I do regret it. I could have been enjoying the low whistle years ago, so now I tend to always advocate the adage - dodn't do what I did - do what I say. Go and get your low whistle - and have a ball. Just one tip - check out the market as there is a vast difference in both the handling and tone of these babies and you might find the grip on some easier than others.
dryer

Post by dryer »

I was thinking about getting a Susato Kildare S Series Pennywhistle in High D as my next whistle.
I did that and ended up with four Susatos. I'm an "ok" whistle player but I'm running into seriously good players that play 'em too. For the price, they are pretty hard to beat. You are dealing with injection molded plastic, so there's not much art there.
dryer

Post by dryer »

I was thinking about getting a Susato Kildare S Series Pennywhistle in High D as my next whistle.
I did that and ended up with four Susatos. I'm an "ok" whistle player but I'm running into seriously good players that play 'em too. For the price, they are pretty hard to beat. You are dealing with injection molded plastic, so there's not much art there.
Silvano

Re: Thinking of getting another whistle

Post by Silvano »

rap4th wrote:Thinking of getting another whistle
Really only one? :wink:

Welcome to the forum
Silvano
--- A whistle a day keeps bad thoughts away ---
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

Interesting approach... thinking before getting...

I think most of us had at least a handful of whistles before we started thinking first. :lol:

Jason
Skyclad01
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

For high D whistles, I love all of mine except for the Feadog (as it will not play in tune at all no matter what I do). As a matter of thier sounds go (breathy/airy or pure and sweet), it all vairys on what tune im playing and what im in the mood for.

My recommendations (as I own all these)

Generation Nickle
Oak Nickle
Acorn Brass
Waltons Little Black Whistle (aluminum)
Sweetone and Meg (tin)
Susato Kildare

And thier attributes to sound, I would say that the Sweetone, Meg, Acorn and Walton have a bit of a breathy sound. The Generation and Oak have more of a pure sound, and the Susato has a very sweet sound (being made out of PVC)

They each take different amounts of breath control as well. For me, it seems like the breathy whistles take more breath to play, but are more forgiving. Whereas the pure sounding whistles take less breath control and take slightly more getting used to thier playing style as they tend to be a little more sensitive getting into your octave's.
Last edited by Skyclad01 on Tue Oct 21, 2008 12:30 am, edited 2 times in total.
West

Post by West »

Skyclad01 wrote:Waltons Little Black Whistle (plastic)
The LBW is made of aluminum, no? At least mine is...
Trying is the first step towards failure -- Homer Simpson
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

West wrote:The LBW is made of aluminum, no?
Yep!
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Skyclad01
Tell us something.: I'm just telling you something here so the 'Tell us something ' field can be completed.

Post by Skyclad01 »

My bad. The paint gives a thin plastic sound when tapped.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Skyclad01 wrote:My bad. The paint gives a thin plastic sound when tapped.
Ah, you're making the beginners' mistake of tapping whistles rather than blowing them. ;-)

Stay hoopy,
Mike
rap4th

Post by rap4th »

Thanks for the replies guys!!

Well I think after my next paycheck I will go out and get the Susato Kildare S Series Pennywhistle in High D.

However, the Low whistle....I will have to save up for a while.....unless....Christmas and my birthday (3 days later) are coming up. Hmmmm......

One more quick question....and it may be silly: I take it the low whistle is the same fingering as the high...but does it play in the treble cleff or the bass cleff? If it is in the bass cleff....I am in trouble. I have always played in the treble cleff (I know....I know....you are supposed to play using your ear....not sheet music. I am not that talented...I have to start with the sheet music...and then I memorize it).

Rob
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Yes the low is the same fingering as is the Irish Flute. :)

For my money the Dixon Traditional is the best bang for the buck.

I love my Clark Original as well though.

:)
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Tikva

Post by Tikva »

rap4th wrote:However, the Low whistle....I will have to save up for a while.....unless....Christmas and my birthday (3 days later) are coming up. Hmmmm......
My thoughts exactly. :lol:
Unfortunately that would throw me back a zillion years from eventually buying a digital SLR... da**.