Tin Whistle Tutorials/Books

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Sweetbriar
antispam: No

Post by Sweetbriar »

IMHO, I think that the Essential Guide to Irish Flute and Tin Whistle is very much along the lines of what you're looking for. I have found the written explanations as well as the CD examples of ornamentation and articulation to be very helpful. It's a bit on the dense side but very very thorough and understandable, especially for someone who already has a background in reading and playing music.

If you go to Amazon I'm pretty sure you can do the look inside the book thing, which will help confirm whether this is the right book for you.

Maybe a forum member would be willing to buy the book for you and ship it to you for cost or near cost?
Craig Stuntz
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Craig Stuntz »

I haven't found many books that I've really liked. I agree with you that listening to recorded music is the best way to learn. I think that June McCormack's flute tutor (which works fine for a whistle, too) is one of the best in terms of having really useful audio and good discussion, but be advised that it's very narrowly focused on ornamentation. It does a great job with that, but doesn't really cover most other topics, such as breathing.

The best discussion of whistle playing I've found is Brother Steve's web site. Yes, you have to be in front of your computer to use it, but you also don't need to read it while you practice playing. There are several good web sites with slow MP3 audio which you can download and listen to what you play.

-Craig