Whistle v.s downstairs neighbors

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Whiddler
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm really a fiddler but in Jan. '24 I finally gave a proper effort to learning to play the Tipple flute I've had lying around since '08, and now I can't stop. It's all because I had an epiphany that the flute can be played without having to get out of bed.

Post by Whiddler »

I live in an apartment building, so I feel your pain. There are a few ways to make a whistle quieter without affecting how you play. My favorite is by putting tape horizontally across the bottom side of the fipple window such that it's only open a bit on the top side. Or you could stick a small ball of clay/sticky tack on top of the fipple. Try out different positions with the clay/tape for best effect.

It'll cause the whistle's tone to become breathy and up to a half-step flatter, but it's worth it.
CrazedHavoc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by CrazedHavoc »

CrazedHavoc wrote:I'm just going to ask them if it bothers them. I already have a mute strategy with the spare hairband around the window.... and i'm not looking for another quiet whistle.
Thank you for all your help. It seems a good idea to just ask them and get it over with.
"The death of beauty is just not possible even amongst all of the ugliness that is and can be."
Whiddler
Tell us something.: I'm really a fiddler but in Jan. '24 I finally gave a proper effort to learning to play the Tipple flute I've had lying around since '08, and now I can't stop. It's all because I had an epiphany that the flute can be played without having to get out of bed.

Post by Whiddler »

Post before you think... my undying motto.
Clive Brown

Post by Clive Brown »

I just bought a Parks Everywhistle from Big Whistle. It actually has a volume control ! It reduces to a barely audible volume, fantastic and does not bother the neighbours one bit !
anniemcu
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Tikva wrote:I did address the matter of oversensitive neighbors - in my case even worse: landlords - in my newbie intro.

Daisman suggested the following to me:
buy a $2 package of sticky-tac and when you need to practice quietly put a 1/2 pea sized blob of it on top of the windway and push it towards the lip to quiet the whistle down as needed. - it sounds weird but really works.
I have not tried it yet, but we might as well give it a go, don't you think?

SBS144 has made a good point there. I don't know about your neighbors, but I don't need to ask my landlord in the first place. - Hey, he's the one who suggested I should stop typing on my laptop's keyboard by 10 p.m. seeing that the clicking noise annoyed him to no end.

Since then I did not dare to take my old (now dusty) clarinet out of its case. Then again, two weeks of solid practicing should send them to their knees kissing my feet and thanking me for switching to a (comparatively) silent whistle. :lol:
Sheesh! Sounds like the landlord needs to see to some improved insulation! If your typing bothers him so, there must be nothing much twixt your apartment and his!
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
brewerpaul

Post by brewerpaul »

I'll go along with the "ask them" crowd.
While you're at it, offer to teach them to play-- you can have some nice house sessions then.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Killaloe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Killaloe »

What you do in your own appartment is your business. So long as your not up blowing high C's at 2am I don't see the problem.

Sorry but I play my whistle in my apartment complex. Its no worse than people cranking up there hip hop at all hours.
free-feet

Post by free-feet »

One thing to bare in mind is the sound from a whistle mostly goes upwards, not so much downwards. It's the upstairs neighbours that would have the most issues not the downstairs ones in my opinion.

And you can always throw some rugs on the floor, or even add a 1 inch layer of dense board under your carpet if you're that worried. It's not so easy to do that to a ceiling.

Also, a sideways neighbour i had in London complained to the council noise officer about me playing a didgeridoo but never moaned about the whistle. Difference is that the didge is very bassy and whereas it is nowhere near as loud as a whistle the bass travels easily through floors and walls whereas the whistle doesn't do so so easily.
Tia

Post by Tia »

free-feet wrote:One thing to bare in mind is the sound from a whistle mostly goes upwards, not so much downwards. It's the upstairs neighbours that would have the most issues not the downstairs ones in my opinion.
I was going to ask about that, I live in house apartment, downstairs, but I had always thought that the sound would be more likely to travel down? it probably depends on the acoustics of the building but not sure
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
free-feet

Post by free-feet »

Tia wrote:I was going to ask about that, I live in house apartment, downstairs, but I had always thought that the sound would be more likely to travel down? it probably depends on the acoustics of the building but not sure
I've never seen anyone mic a whistle by putting the mic between their knees, have you?
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

free-feet wrote:One thing to bare [sic] in mind is the sound from a whistle mostly goes upwards, not so much downwards.
Sorry ... I'm not an acoustician, but this seems pretty silly. At any distance more than a few feet away, the whistle is going to act as a point source of sound with a spherical distribution. The orientation of the fipple window will not matter much.
free-feet wrote:I've never seen anyone mic a whistle by putting the mic between their knees, have you?
Well, I don't! Those knee mikes are very awkward. And the microphone protruding from between your legs could be mistaken for something else, and lead to profound embarrassment. :o

Seriously ... you don't mike a whistle from 4 feet overhead, either. Proximity, not orientation, is the issue. Headset mikes capture the sound up close from the side of the fipple, and do a perfectly good job. Directionality to the neighbors will have more to do with room acoustics and damped surfaces.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Tia

Post by Tia »

free-feet wrote:
Tia wrote:I was going to ask about that, I live in house apartment, downstairs, but I had always thought that the sound would be more likely to travel down? it probably depends on the acoustics of the building but not sure
I've never seen anyone mic a whistle by putting the mic between their knees, have you?
actually..... thats how they mic sax adn clairnets..but that doesnt really have to do with where sound travels more where it comes out as MT said
I think that maybe less sound in the basement goes up because the basement is more insultated then the rest of the house
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

I like a man who smiles when he fights .... now. if I had all the money I spent on drink ... I'd spend it on drink ..

Cheers
Cyril
Azalin

Post by Azalin »

When I moved in my new condo I sent my neighbors a letter saying that I was going to practice a lot and have some "house sessions" from time to time. I gave them my phone number and told them not to hesitate to let me know if there was anything that would annoy them. I think they appreciated it but after 8-9 months being there they never complained.

So yeah that's another way, you can send your neighbors letters so that they feel more comfortable to let you know if/when you're disturbing them.

Believe me, if you approach your neighbors this way, they will be much more open to you playing music than if you'd simply ignore them. It's human nature in action. People are more willing to compromise if they feel they're being respected.
Tikva

Post by Tikva »

Doc Jones wrote:Can you hear their TV?

If you can't, they can't hear your whistle.

Until they gripe, toot away. :)

Doc
Oh, dear! I'm dead before even blowing my first note! I can't only hear their TV but could also recommend a visit to a sleep lab to cure my landlord's heavy snoring. Thank goodness my bedroom is on the other side of the house... :boggle: