Susato Very Small Bore in D : what a nice surprise.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
gerardo1000

Susato Very Small Bore in D : what a nice surprise.

Post by gerardo1000 »

Just got one today and personally I find it the best among the soprano d whistles I have or I had (Dixon, Generation, Clarke original, Sweetone tweaked by Freeman, Susato Dublin).
First, it sounds very well. Especially the high notes are sublime and clear.
I do not hear a "recorder" tone at all. Perhaps the very small bore makes a difference.
Second, it is very responsive. Third, it is loud ! Fourth, it is so easy to play that makes a beginner like me look better than I am.
Negatives? For me, only one: the first octave D note breaks easily into the high octave if you are not careful (or if you are not a good player, like me).
This is a negative that I noticed also in the Dixon polymer whistles.
But in my humble opinion the Susato sounds better.
Of course I have not been able to compare it to high-end whistles like Burke, Overton etc... because I do not own any of them. But I believe that this Susato is well worth the money (under $ 40).
tegea
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by tegea »

Thanks for the review. This whistle sounds very interresting to me. Concerning the bell note, I have a Bb Susato and noticed exactly the same thing. When you are used to play this particular whistle, this is OK, but when you use several whistles, I find it difficult to pick this whistle on the pile and play correctly the bell note.
On my whistle, I bevelled a little the top and low parts of the windway exit, and it helped to stabilize the bell note. But it is still not perfect, and there is a risk to ruin the whistle by doing this.
Thierry