Polish whistle maker

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Feaorn
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Re: Polish whistle maker

Post by Feaorn »

breqwas wrote:Soundclips are nice. The Every whistle, (you were copying its design, right?) had only one problem (for me): the 2nd octave D sounded only with "vented" fingering, oxx xxx. When played as xxx xxx, it was seriously out of tune. That's OK for most players, but not for me - I don't vent that note :) Does your whistle share the same feature?
Believe me or not, but we didn't really know Every whistle's design before. :) That shape works just fine, if You ask me. :) To be honest, I believe that Water Weasel was kind of most inspiring to us in our work, as the legend itself.

The second octave D works perfectly on xxx xxx, as I play it myself that way. :) The oxx xxx is about 5 cents above, but can be compensated with slight breath control.

We're planning to run a Chiff and Fipple world tour soon, if You are interested, in order to avoid painful translation of our oh-so-melodic-and-simple language and let You know how does it whistle. ;) Your opinions and experience are invaluable to us!
benbrad

Post by benbrad »

How about doing a US whistle tour with a couple of your whistles so that they can be tried out here?
Ben
Feaorn

Post by Feaorn »

I guess It'll just depend on the number of participants. We won't avoid US for sure, don't worry! ;)

Soon we'll run a new thread concerning Goldfinch Whistle Tour... Stay tuned! ;)
Daniel_Bingamon
antispam: No

Re:

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:I wish those Nigerian scammers would quit trying to sell me tin to use for making whistles. :o

I wish people wouldn't make xenophobic comments.
[/quote]

I think I need to get something straight here. My comments were never meant to be Xenophobic in any way shape or form. I received a real email from some trading outfit in Nigeria that wanted to sell me "Tin" for making Tin Whistles. Apparently they didn't know much about tin whistles.
Email - YouTube - Ebay - Website $28 Low-D
bigskybri

Post by bigskybri »

When I had my used bookstore open, I would get orders on the phone every couple of weeks for multiple copies of expensive new books to ship to Nigeria (mostly medical texts and bibles). They would get phone numbers by buying lists of bookstores and book dealers. They would also try to order them through my website. All phony, of course, using stolen credit cards. The biggest order they sent via e-mail was for $25,000. That one I had to print out and show a few friends....
Daniel_Bingamon

I got an order once from Spain for 50,000 Slide Whistles - it was a scam.

Just so that folks reading late into this message don't get confused, this has nothing to do with the main topic, it has to do with an earlier supply.

From one whistle maker to another (one in Poland), I wish the best blessings to your new business - especially in this world's economy.
My Grandmother on my mother's side is Polish - I'm a typical Appalachian American with about nine different nations in my blood. Her parents came from Mlawa and second one I can't get the spelling quite right, Proewshnitz? (not too far from Mlawa).
Mack.Hoover
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by Mack.Hoover »

"we reclassified 'grease nipple' as..."
zerk "go to the barn and fill the grease gun from that tin bucket and hit all them zerks... specially on the wheels and pittman.
Pump it in till it squeezes out around them bushings. Don't miss any or I'll dock your pay!"
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Grease_fitting

Hi Jakub, gratulacje!

From another worker in CPVC and acetal.
I was also inspired by the late Glenn Schultz and departed from his design for lack of a machine lathe.
You have some great looking whistles and I know by the design they are great players. Accept my encouragement!
Mack
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

painful translation of our oh-so-melodic-and-simple language
"Poland is a place west from Ukraine where people speak Russian without vowels" same (c) :D
Feaorn

Post by Feaorn »

Thank You kindly, Mr Bingamon! I guess the place near Mława You've mentioned is Przasnysz. ;) (That's a hell of a consonant pile, isn't it? ;))

And big thanks to You, Mr Hoover, as well! Your astonishing works are, indeed, inspiring!

Dear breqwas - About linguistic matters... That's not true we don't use vowels. Not every word is "Przasnysz" after all. :) We even have got some very unique ones, as ą and ę. And about accurate geographical placement... It's the proud geometrical center of Europe, after all. ;) (By the way - I truly admire a music group named Moscow Art Trio - a great piece of music, if You ask me!)

All right! From now on, let us, please, leave linguistics, geography, ethinc goups and other non-whistle related topics for a while, okay? ;) Just several more days and our Goldfinch Whistle will be ready to travel the world! :)
Daniel_Bingamon

Feaorn wrote:Thank You kindly, Mr Bingamon! I guess the place near Mława You've mentioned is Przasnysz. ;) (That's a hell of a consonant pile, isn't it? ;))
Yes, that's it. I couldn't remember the spelling of that for my life. Whew!
Maybe someday I'll visit the place that I can't spell nor pronounce.
Dave Parkhurst

Post by Dave Parkhurst »

If it's based on the Water Weasel and done properly, it will be a good whistle. Glenn would have wanted others to keep using his design, I bet... it was a fine design. More power to ya, goldfinch gang :)
"Fear of the Lord is the beginning of wisdom..."
Mitch
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Mitch »

From an engineering standpoint, it makes a ton of sense to use the basic design that Glenn presented in the Thin Weasel. It is a method that presents a minimum of parts, while allowing the production of an instrument that can be superlative if done right.

I can think at least 8 makers who use this approach to very good effect.

It is not the only way. Think of the rolled shim model of the Clarke original, Shaw etc .. the injection molded head/metal tube body of the Generation stlye, the tube and die-press method of Overton/Chieftain, the metal tube and fold of Hohner, the ream and rose of the recorder style in wood ...

All of these methods produce a viable way of producing the physics required to end up with a whistle that plays in tune and costs way less than any guitar worth mangling your hands on.

Musical instruments (including whistles) are very special. No matter what method you use, the result will reflect the personality of the maker. It takes a very special calling to be inspired to undertake such an enterprise. Very few will be rich in money - most will be rich in Life.

However you do it - make whistles - it will enrich your life - you will go the next step. After that is a goat of the color you are ;)

It can't get better than that :)

(edited to say: No maker will give you his soul .. if you have what it takes to go the distance, you will succeed, if you do not .. you will go the next step into what is needed to prevail .. maybe selling tin cladding untill you learn respect .. maybe jail .. who knows your goat better than you?)
All the best!

mitch
http://www.ozwhistles.com
RVC

Post by RVC »

Dave Parkhurst wrote:If it's based on the Water Weasel and done properly, it will be a good whistle. Glenn would have wanted others to keep using his design, I bet... it was a fine design.
For those interested, Mr. Shultz wrote an excellent article (Pennywhistle by The Thin Weasle) in the 8th issue of The Woodwind Quarterly. It's a good description of how he made his whistles. It's also copyrighted material so you need to buy a copy. Here's a link. Scroll down to issue 8 and there's a phone number to call.

http://www.musictrader.com/wwqindex.html

It costs $14 for a copy of the original magazine. His article is 4 - 5" x 8" pages, very much worth the price to me.

RVC
Feaorn

Post by Feaorn »

For those, who haven't noticed yet, or will search for info about our instrument in the future... Reviews of Goldfinch Whistle will appear in the Goldfinch Whistle World Tour thread:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=67881

Merry whistling, lads!