Polish whistle maker

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
mcurtiss
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am not a spammer. If I was, I'd probably like spam and egg sandwiches with a little cheddar cheese on top. Or maybe just pancakes.

Post by mcurtiss »

i'll remember this thread when I next have to buy some "baby oil" :boggle:
hoopy mike
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hoopy mike »

Many years ago I worked for a summer in the stores dept of an engineering company, sorting out their classification system. Basically they wanted to change the catalogue to make things easier to find alphabetically. So, for instance "6mm brass screws" became: "screws, brass, 6mm". This system was applied without much though, which mean we reclassified "grease nipple" as....

stay hoopy!
Mike
markbell

Post by markbell »

Ah, semantics...

"Irish Whistle" is just as problematic as any of the others, both because of origin (except for Clare, Feadog, etc), as well as the fact that a 6-hole, end-blown fipple flute isn't exclusively Irish. The basic form exists in many places all over the world, and is very ancient.

And some of us don't play a lot of Irish music on the whatchamacallit, anyway.

fwiw, I generally use "Pennywhistle." Dime stores (I guess they're dollar stores now) often sell things that cost more than a dime or a dollar, silver dollars aren't made out of silver, and economy cars can be anything but economical to own and operate.

In defense of "Tin Whistle": brass instruments often are made of silver or other metals, woodwinds aren't always wood, and tin cans are really made of steel.

In the memorable words of Pat Paulson, "Picky, picky, picky..." :D

Sometimes the terms I use to refer to my whistles are simply unprintable.

Good job on the new whistles, gentlemen, whatever they are called. I probably couldn't pronounce the name in Polish, anyway.

Mark
sibilo ergo sum
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

Hey Hoop!

Can you give me a source for that "Nipple, Grease"? :thumbsup:
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Feaorn

Whistle? Flageolet?

Post by Feaorn »

markbell wrote:Good job on the new whistles, gentlemen, whatever they are called. I probably couldn't pronounce the name in Polish, anyway.
Flażolet. (Similar to Frenchy "Flageolet"). Not that hard, huh? ;)

Anyway, thank You very much! ;)
tomk

Post by tomk »

" Be greeted " , I love that , that is awsome . :)
Feaorn

Re: Polish whistle maker

Post by Feaorn »

Greetings!

Our website has been updated! Our whistle's design has changed a bit, and it's sound qualities are even better! ;)
http://www.goldfinch.eu

There is a positive response to our whistle on Polish "Whistlowisko" site forum. If anyone's interested, feel free to decypher Polish language here: ;)
http://www.whistle.art.pl/forum/viewtopic.php?t=122
Feaorn

Post by Feaorn »

Hello again!

Our Goldfinch whistle is getting really popular here, in Poland, so we decided to put it on ebay (www.ebay.de). There were some interesting changes on our website too - I warmly invite You to listen to some great Goldfinch whistle playing by Witek Kulczycki - great whistle (and flute) player of Duan band. It's all avaiable on our site! ;)

Oh, and check out the whistle's new design!
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

feel free to decypher Polish language here
"Poland is a place where people speak some weird transliterated Russian" (c) :D

"Hi! The moment that was promised long ago has come, we officially open a thread devoted to our project with (as Perry called that beginning (initiative?)) codename Goldfinch Whistles, the whistle (flageolet) which is made in our homeland..."

Agghr. Reading texts in language you don't know is painful.

Soundclips are nice. The Every whistle, (you were copying its design, right?) had only one problem (for me): the 2nd octave D sounded only with "vented" fingering, oxx xxx. When played as xxx xxx, it was seriously out of tune. That's OK for most players, but not for me - I don't vent that note :) Does your whistle share the same feature?
Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

breqwas wrote:The Every whistle, (you were copying its design, right?)...
I noticed the striking similarity to the Every Whistle, too. The whole of the thread made me peek a bit more at the Water Weasel, and I now wonder how much of the design of the Every Whistle is derived from the Water Weasel. Not that it would be a bad thing if it were, mind you. I just got a couple of Walkabouts from Parks Whistles and I'm loving them.
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

Protean wrote:
breqwas wrote:The Every whistle, (you were copying its design, right?)...
I noticed the striking similarity to the Every Whistle, too. The whole of the thread made me peek a bit more at the Water Weasel, and I now wonder how much of the design of the Every Whistle is derived from the Water Weasel. Not that it would be a bad thing if it were, mind you. I just got a couple of Walkabouts from Parks Whistles and I'm loving them.
There's only so many ways to shape a piece of PVC to make a whistle. so there are going to be unavoidable similarities all along the chain. Each maker to some extent stands on the shoulders of their predecessors. In my case I started by making a whistle following Guido's instructions and solving issues with manufacturing and basic play from there. I'm pleased you like the result!

breqwas - I have just recently solved that issue. If I remember right you sat down with your whistle in your pocket and damaged the tuning slide. PM (or e-mail) me your current address and I'll let you have a go at a new Walkabout that you should be able to play as you wish as well as fit in your pocket.

Carey
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
Protean
Tell us something.: Amateur whistler for 14 years, amateur fiddler for 30 years. Haven't played either much in a while, looking to get back into it.

Post by Protean »

Carey wrote:There's only so many ways to shape a piece of PVC to make a whistle. so there are going to be unavoidable similarities all along the chain. Each maker to some extent stands on the shoulders of their predecessors. In my case I started by making a whistle following Guido's instructions and solving issues with manufacturing and basic play from there. I'm pleased you like the result!
Yeah, I was wondering about inspiration from Guido's guide, too. With regards to the Water Weasel, I mostly noticed that the fipple in your whistles look much more like the Water Weasel fipples than the simple fipples in Guido's guide, though I don't suppose there are too many different ways to make fipples. No matter your methods or inspirations, your whistles are great and stand on their own. No question about that. :) (It's also quite nice to have a whistle I can break down and slip into a pocket... man that's handy!)
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

PM (or e-mail) me your current address and I'll let you have a go at a new Walkabout that you should be able to play as you wish as well as fit in your pocket.
To be honest, I don't need it, for the reasons described here.
But thank you very much anyway :)
Carey
Location: In the dog house. Gone playing music too much recently.

Post by Carey »

Protean wrote:
Carey wrote:... I don't suppose there are too many different ways to make fipples.
Oh, there's LOTS of ways to make fipples, believe me! But only a few of them work real well. :lol:
When there's a huge spill of solar energy, it's just called a nice day.

http://www.parkswhistles.com
Protean

Post by Protean »

Carey wrote:Oh, there's LOTS of ways to make fipples, believe me! But only a few of them work real well. :lol:
Yes, perhaps I should have qualified that more... :P