Polish whistle maker

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

fearfaoin wrote:Should he also avoid "pennywhistle" if it costs more than a penny?
Yes. :)

Well, maybe pennywhistle is more generic, and maybe tinwhistle might be too. But offering a "CPVC tin" whistle for sale is confusing at best, and the confusion is unnecessary, no?

The only maker I know offhand that offers tinwhistles is the Clarke Tinwhistle Company (note, one word). And Clarkes are, or course, made from rolled tinplate.

I guess, IMO, offering a product for sale calls ideally for more accurate language than casual usage. In this case, English is a non-native language, so I'm just trying to save them some grief. :-)
Last edited by MTGuru on Fri Sep 19, 2008 8:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
breqwas
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by breqwas »

The only maker I know offhand that offers tinwhistles is the Clarke Tinwhistle Company
Shaw.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

From the Shaw Whistles website:
SHAW whistles are a sweet toned instrument, individually voiced to give maximum performance. The whistle is a tapered design, handmade in solid nickel silver sheet with a carved hardwood block, the lower keys having a metal lined wind way. They are assembled using lead-free solder.
http://www.daveshaw.co.uk/SHAW_Whistles ... stles.html

Feaorn

Dylema

Post by Feaorn »

MTGuru wrote:Hi Feorn, I see on your English site that you use the term "tin whistle" everywhere. If your whistles are made from CPVC, not tin, then you really can't call them tin whistles. The term is not generic when you are offering whistles for sale. The simple term "whistle" is enough, and accurate.
'Aight! I will fix that, pro arte et pro publico bono! ;) Thanks for the tip!

(By the way, that's a dylema for another huge topic! Can a PVC whistle be a TINwhistle?)
fearfaoin

Post by fearfaoin »

MTGuru wrote:The only maker I know offhand that offers tinwhistles is the Clarke Tinwhistle Company (note, one word). And Clarkes are, or course, made from rolled tinplate.
You're right. I never thought about it...
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Yeah, it's interesting that we don't really have a specific word in English for our instrument, isn't it? Whistle is pretty generic - Irish whistle, police whistle, train whistle, wolf whistle. Flageolet is too Frenchy, and often refers the older French or English type instrument with a sponge chamber and bone tip. Fipple flute sounds like a museum catalog. Pipe is accurate and historical, but tends to be confused now with (bag)pipe(s). Other languages do much better ... frula, floyera, duduk, flabiol, sopilka, etc.

falkbeer

Post by falkbeer »

MTGuru wrote:Yeah, it's interesting that we don't really have a specific word in English for our instrument, isn't it? Whistle is pretty generic - Irish whistle, police whistle, train whistle, wolf whistle. Flageolet is too Frenchy, and often refers the older French or English type instrument with a sponge chamber and bone tip. Fipple flute sounds like a museum catalog. Pipe is accurate and historical, but tends to be confused now with (bag)pipe(s). Other languages do much better ... frula, floyera, duduk, flabiol, sopilka, etc.
Ressikan flute perhaps?

A lot of people I know (myself inkluded) often refere to this instrument as "tin whistle" regardles of the material the instrument is made of. I tend to use "whistle" quite often too. Here in sweden "folkmusikflöjt" (folk music flute) or "irländsk flöjt" (irish flute) are useful expressions when speaking about an unfamiliar musical instrument. Our own variant "spilåpipa" (playing pipe) is a very old instrument tuned in a minor key. (wood, different seizes)
The future is bright - let´s buy shades!
http://www.sibeliusmusic.com/cgi-bin/wh ... usclassics
ubizmo

Post by ubizmo »

MTGuru wrote:Yeah, it's interesting that we don't really have a specific word in English for our instrument, isn't it? Whistle is pretty generic - Irish whistle, police whistle, train whistle, wolf whistle. Flageolet is too Frenchy, and often refers the older French or English type instrument with a sponge chamber and bone tip. Fipple flute sounds like a museum catalog. Pipe is accurate and historical, but tends to be confused now with (bag)pipe(s). Other languages do much better ... frula, floyera, duduk, flabiol, sopilka, etc.
I think that wikipedia says that the "penny" in "pennywhistle" refers not so much to the cost of the whistle but the fact that they were associated with "beggars," i.e., buskers, so I think "pennywhistle" is probably a good generic term.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

ubizmo wrote: I think that wikipedia says that the "penny" in "pennywhistle" refers not so much to the cost of the whistle but the fact that they were associated with "beggars," i.e., buskers, so I think "pennywhistle" is probably a good generic term.
There were also "Penny Theatres" - amature performances of plays often staged on street corners with few props. Passers by were expected to contribute a penny or thereabouts to stay and watch.

"Penny Dreadful" was a term applied to nineteenth century British fiction publications, usually lurid serial stories appearing in parts over a number of weeks, each part costing a penny. The term, however, soon came to encompass a variety of publications that featured cheap sensational fiction, such as story papers and booklet libraries, so the "penny" wasn't meant too literally there either (see also "spending a penny"). Did anyone expect to pay a penny (or slightly more) for a penny farthing?

Perhaps cheaper whistles could keep the "penny" tag, but it would be stretching it to apply the term to high-end whistles.

"Tin whistle" is probably generic too in the same way that tin cans are now made of steel or aluminium, but could lead to more confusion than "penny whistle", particularly with the plastic whistles. I don't think anyone would complain at getting an aluminium or nickle "tin whistle" but some might raise an eyebrow if they got a PVC one.

Just my two pennyworth ;-)

Stay hoopy,
Mike
Daniel_Bingamon

Post by Daniel_Bingamon »

Nobody make Tin Whistles from tin anymore.

I wish those Nigerian scammers would quit trying to sell me tin to use for making whistles. :o

Actually, I think "Irish Whistle" would be good description.
hoopy mike

Post by hoopy mike »

Daniel_Bingamon wrote:Nobody make Tin Whistles from tin anymore.

Clarke still make tin whistles from tin (see above). I'm not aware of a maker called "Nobody" though.
Daniel_Bingamon wrote:I wish those Nigerian scammers would quit trying to sell me tin to use for making whistles. :o

I wish people wouldn't make xenophobic comments.
Daniel_Bingamon wrote:Actually, I think "Irish Whistle" would be good description.
Well, Clarke's "original" tin whistles are made in England. There's a whole can of worms about who invented the tin whistle, and they aren't used exclusively for ITM, so I don't think "Irish Whistle" would go down well.

Stay hoopy,
Mike
Feaorn

Goldfinch sound samples

Post by Feaorn »

Goldfinch sound samples made by Ewelina Grygier - an outstanding flautist straight from Polish magnificent Danar band (Check out thier Myspace profile: http://www.myspace.com/danarband) are ready to download!

The link bug with "scale.wma" will be fixed tommorow (in several hours ;) )

Hope You like it! :)
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

hoopy mike wrote:...Did anyone expect to pay a penny (or slightly more) for a penny farthing?...

Maybe they thought it was really going to cost a farthing...Whatever the hell that amounted too...I must be getting (too) old! I used to know how much a farthing was! :)

Mick
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
Mick Down Under

Post by Mick Down Under »

Oops! Double posted. :x
Such is life...
Ned Kelly just before the b#sta*rds hung him!
MaryC
Tell us something.: Playing the whistle is so much easier than playing the accordion: I've never yet found an accordion which would fit into my handbag!

Post by MaryC »

MTGuru wrote:
fearfaoin wrote: ... offering a "CPVC tin" whistle for sale is confusing at best, and the confusion is unnecessary, no?

The only maker I know offhand that offers tinwhistles is the Clarke Tinwhistle Company (note, one word). And Clarkes are, or course, made from rolled tinplate.
If tin whistles are made out of tin, then what do they make fog-horns out of?