Whistling outside in windy conditions - Tips requested

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Grexrell
antispam: No

Whistling outside in windy conditions - Tips requested

Post by Grexrell »

Hi

I like playing the whistle whenever opportunity rises, which is why I carry 3 whistles in my vest at all times. Why three? Different keys and well, its a long narrow pocket, what else would YOU put in there?

Anyway my question.
I find that going for a walk, or waiting outside somewhere is a good opportunity to play, but the wind keeps stealing the sound from my whistle (doesn't always take much either). I tried rotating the fipple away from the wind, but I've yet to see a good steady wind here, it just sneaks around the other side when you least expect it. And spinning around in circles trying to avoid the wind is distracting, and all too amusing for others.

So what do you suggest I do? Is there a good way to create some sort of wind shield over the fipple window?
It seems the wind is my biggest music critic so far.

I'm considering some trial busking soon, but unless I bring a canopy with me or something I doubt I'd get far.

Thanks for any help and suggestions you may have.
Learning to...
Play the Irish whistle, Harmonica, Recorder, Fife, Panpipes, Clarinet, Hand ocarina, and Piano Accordion, all within the last year :D
(Music is more fun then ever before)
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I understand that some whistles are better for playing outdoors than others. The only suggestion that I have heard is rotating the fipple so that the airway is facing upside down.
Thomas-Hastay
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

My best "Tweak" for outdoor playing is to attach a larger diameter section of cardboard or plastic tubing around the voicing area. Like a large "O" around a small "o". The outer ring should be attached at the opposite side from the voicing window (tape?).

The wind will travel around the outer tube and not disrupt the oscillations of the labium ramp but will leave enough space at the voicing to radiate sound.

Important note: There must be enough space between the window and the outer tube or the sound will be muffled and the "Tommy-screen"(snicker :wink: ) must be at least 1 inch long.

Historical note: Dolmetsch invented a "bell" for the Recorder voicing window for outdoor play and improved loudness. I'm sure it could be revived (?)
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Ballyshannon
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Ballyshannon »

I've played in windy conditions with the mouthpiece rotated upside down and although it didn't completely solve the problem, it surely helped. You'd think it'd affect the volume since the window is pointing down, but it really didn't have much of a negative effect and the whistle could still be well heard.
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

Some whistles do better in wind than others.

I've never specifically reviewed for this, as I rarely play outside, but I know Wanderer has, and could make some good suggestions.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

Sometimes turning the head upside shields the window from the breeze.
Don't worry about how that looks, only another whistle player will know. :wink:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

The patented Gurumatic Chiff-Gard™ is the answer. Select natural fibers allow the whistle's sound to penetrate and project, while blocking ambient air currents that can disrupt Von Karman vortex formation at the labium edge.

OK, OK, I never tire of dragging out this photo. :lol:
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Important Safety Tip: When using the Gurumatic Chiff-Guard, REMOVE THE SNAKE BEFORE DONNING THE CHIFF-GUARD! Failure to follow this instruction has been known to cause serious injury or death in the state of California.

OSHA Safety Bulletin #08-4693929857648
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Thomas-Hastay

Post by Thomas-Hastay »

WOW MTG! You really have an Idea there! It's also is a fine fashion statement too! (Didn't Jackie Kennedy wear one of those?) Could I substitute a 5 gal. plastic bucket?

You're correct Walrii, a "Wet Willie" from a Cobra would be detrimental to One's health! Would regulation ear plugs help?
"The difference between Genius and stupidity, is that Genius has its limits" (Albert Einstein)
thomashastay@yahoo.com
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

I play outside in windy conditions and yes, when the wind gusts, you might be spinning around. But unless it's really windy AND gusty, as long as you can feel the wind equally on both ears, you're okay.

I might try some sort of cardboard shield, though.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

Wouldn't it just be easier to get a Sweetheart whistle? Seriously, I've played my Sweetheart or over 15 years in all kinds of wind with no problem. It's one of the whistles on the list of 'Whistles to Play Outdoors'. Practically wind-proof and LOUD.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
NoMattch

Post by NoMattch »

It's a trade-off...the only way I've been able to regularly combat wind gusts is to use my wireless headset so I can turn my back to the wind when appropriate. There's a separate learning curve for using the headset though. I only use mine now at the occasional outdoor festival/concert although I think I look cooler when I'm wearing it. :D
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Good suggestions! I guess MTGuru's method works best with a "Serpent" whistle.

Another method that I have tried is to fashion organ ears with putty around the voicing window similar to what you see on Copeland's low whistles. It's the same principle as that suggested by Thomas, if I am understanding it correctly, in that it makes the depth of the window deeper which hopefully keeps the wind from disrupting the action at the labium.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
arnie

Post by arnie »

I play outside quite a lot. The whistle that always works, also on windy days, is my Impempe high D. How it's done I don't know, but any whistle suffers from wind except that one.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Thomas-Hastay wrote:My best "Tweak" for outdoor playing is to attach a larger diameter section of cardboard or plastic tubing around the voicing area. Like a large "O" around a small "o". The outer ring should be attached at the opposite side from the voicing window (tape?).
Ok, Thomas! I realized that I don't quite understand what you have described. Are you sugesting a sort of tent that covers the window? Do you have a reference or a picture that I could take a look at? I did go searching for the Dolmetsch "bell" but haven't found an example yet. I did find the Dolmetsch "Tone Projector" which was more along the lines of what I was describing though, a small megaphone type of structure that straps around the voicing window. It's meant to project the sound outward but surely would protect the window from crosswinds as well.
An example can be seen on this page:
http://www.dolmetsch.com/ouraccessories.htm
Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.