My New Custom Flute/Whistle Stand!! Edited for better pics!

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
whistlegal
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

My New Custom Flute/Whistle Stand!! Edited for better pics!

Post by whistlegal »

Here's my new flute/whistle stand! It was built by Greg Smith of Bare Foot Bay, Florida. Some of you may be familiar with his work via EBAY. There has been some talk here about the small circular stands he builds for penny whistles. I actually purchased one of those and liked it so much that I contacted him to see if he could build a stand that would accomodate my penny whistles, low whistles, and flutes. We colloborated on the project and this is the end result. I am completely thrilled with the finished product.

This particular stand holds 8 large instruments on the side racks - anything from a Boehm system flute down to an Alto A whistle. The top circular section holds 12 penny whistles - will accomodate D, C, Bb, A, etc. He also built in a hinged box where I can store my small percussion instruments. The workmanship on this stand is nothing short of spectacular. All the instrument contact points are lined with quality felt. The woodworking is perfectly sanded and smooth. The stand is lightweight, yet incredibly stable. Greg is a creative, friendly, and responsible person to work with. I've been in great need for quite some time for a "do it all" type stand. I'm so glad I contacted him.

Greg has recently begun work on a new website to showcase his handy work. It is currently under construction: www.whistlestands.com.
You can also email him at whistlestands@gmail.com. If you are in the market for a new stand built to your specifications, I'd reccommend Greg without reservation.
Last edited by whistlegal on Sun Sep 07, 2008 9:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wilsing

Resly

Post by Wilsing »

SWEET! Beautiful woodworking! Congratulations!

James

A Stor Mo Chroi.....
crookedtune
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

I want one for the rear window of my pickup truck!
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Really neat. Can you say something, however rough,
about the price you paid?
rodfish

Post by rodfish »

Very nice! (The stand is beautiful too!) :)
"A word aptly spoken is like apples of gold in settings of silver."
whistlegal

Post by whistlegal »

Hehe - Rodfish!

Jim, I sent you a PM.

Greg will be marketing this particular stand for $175.00 plus shipping and handling, less than the cost of one high end whistle, relatively speaking. Again, I can't say enough about the quality of the construction. It is an extremely attractive piece if you chose to display your instruments in the home. It is also a workhorse of a stand if you are using it for gigging/concerts. It is extremely sturdy (tipping is not a concern). It is extremely easy to make instruments changes quickly. I've also found that I have fewer clogging problems because the instruments are drying in an upright position between uses. It also looks great on stage. way prettier than me, in fact. Upstaged by a piece of wood!! Aaarrgghh! Hehe! Seriously, I have had several nice comments on it.

I'm so very pleased with my purchase. I'd been searching high and low for a piece like this to no avail for quite some time.
tubafor

Post by tubafor »

YEOW!! That thing is amazing!!! I'm going to definitely look into it - I'm thinking something like this would make a great performance stand, especially for someone (like me) who carries a lot of whistles to a gig - no more laying them out on my portable projector table. :lol:
"Vocatus, atque non vocatus, Deus aderit..."
------------------------------------------
Cal Olson
Whistles, Windsynth and other toys...
Hear samples from my CD "Angelica's Waltz" at:
www.myspace.com/praisewhistler
NoMattch

Post by NoMattch »

That is the most attractive whistle/flute stand I've seen! Congrats!
WARD1066

Post by WARD1066 »

thats a nice stand and a nice collection of whistles too.

Im curious, which of those whistles (not flute) do you find yourself playing most?

and for the bonus prize, :) what ARE those two whistles on the left of the picture?

Colin.
ahogrelius
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

WARD1066 wrote:thats a nice stand and a nice collection of whistles too.

Im curious, which of those whistles (not flute) do you find yourself playing most?

and for the bonus prize, :) what ARE those two whistles on the left of the picture?

Colin.
I could be wrong but they look like a Burke Black Tip and a Copeland to me... :)
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
whistlegal

Post by whistlegal »

Good eye! To the far left is my Brass Burke in G, and just to the right, is my Copeland Low D.

Which one do I find myself playing the most? Actually, that's a difficult question. I favor both my Copeland and Overton low D's and play them equally, I think. It just depends on the characteristics of the tune, I think. The two are very different tonally speaking, but each with equal merit.

The alto whistles are recent purchases. I've been playing them a lot lately, too. To be perfectly honest, I don't have an instrument that doesn't get a good bit of playing time. I just love them all! I think I might be a serious junkee. :o
benbrad

whistle stand

Post by benbrad »

For those of you who like the looks of this whistle stand but think it a little pricey, check out the stands at Parks Whistles http://www.parkswhistles.com/
They look very similar and are much less expensive. I do like the whistle stand shown in this thread very much but it is a bit out of my price range.
Ben
TheSpoonMan

Post by TheSpoonMan »

Beautiful! What's your Boehm?
whistlegal

Post by whistlegal »

Hey, thanks! It's a Gemeinhardt Special.
whistlegal

Post by whistlegal »

Hi!

I got some better (or at least I think so) pics this week and thought I'd edit my original post to include those. NOW! - if I could just come up with a combination flute bag/whistle roll! I'm working on it. I'm glad my mother taught me to sew a little!!