What is a healthy number of whistles to have in any

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CrazedHavoc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

What is a healthy number of whistles to have in any

Post by CrazedHavoc »

(given key?) Also, is it really healthy to be so into learning that one would practice nearly from the time they get home to the time they go to bed? :lol: I can't help it.
ziggysp2000
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ziggysp2000 »

Yeah you know what dude I hear ya, i got 4 Low D's alone as it stands, i and i am randomly plsying when i am home almost all the time :P It is normal, it is healthy, but only expect other whistlers to understand ;)
Ian Wilson
"If only my skill matched my passion"
CrazedHavoc

Post by CrazedHavoc »

lol. Ok, now i don't feel so bad. I've got like three high D's, and looking to get a Bb atm.
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

Yeah, though as stated in another post I have major WhOA so some may thing I am nuts, even a whistler (though i hope not ;)) I mean I just ordered 6 Overtons in the keys of D, A Bflat, F G and a Bass G just for kicks and giggles) I figure I'll end up using them eventually, why not get them all at once so Colin Goldie can make me a set that sound roughly the same tonewise, right?

What kind of High D's do you go friend?
Ian Wilson
CrazedHavoc

Post by CrazedHavoc »

well, i have a Walton's little black D for practice as i have unruly downstairs neighbors', a Walton's Mellow D and a Susato Kildare in D. I've only been playing for about a week, so i'm trying to restrain myself. I am a little bit interested in finding a quiet, durable D in case my practice one breaks. I discovered a way to mute whistles by putting an elastic band around the mouthpiece.
"The death of beauty is just not possible even amongst all of the ugliness that is and can be."
CrazedHavoc

Post by CrazedHavoc »

haha... oh goodness, i bet those 6 cost a bit. :lol:
"The death of beauty is just not possible even amongst all of the ugliness that is and can be."
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

I can't say I am familiar with the Walton or the Susato. I also don't have to keep it down though my roomate may secretly want otherwise :P

personally i got a Clarke original High D and a Dixon High D....I actually prefer the cheap Clarke, tone is much better and the second octave sounds better and isn't as loud. I am getting a Overton High D, super looking forward to that. i actually got to try brian Finnegan's after a show and I thoroughly fell in love :P A bit pricier but i can't convince myself it isn't worth it :)

As far as a quiet High D I am not sure....guess it depends on definition of quiet :P I know i can blow my carke soflty but it's way out of tune, but meh, hahaha. Either way, good luck on it.... and someday i gotta hear more about this tape trick :P
Ian Wilson
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

And yes the Overtons did cost me alot in whistling terms, but what i did pay, I don't conisder that much in the context of 6 high quality musical instruments :) And I mean....Overtons.... they are worth the money to me.....that and dealing with the Goldies is a superior experience (the makers)
Ian Wilson
CrazedHavoc

Post by CrazedHavoc »

hehe.. yeah. I'm not really into conical bores though. Maybe i should change my mind. :D
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

well I don't know....they are different... I only have the one but I wouldn't necessarily be afraid of another......problem is with copelands now virtually impossible tog et and shaws apparently being so so (I don't own one, just what i read) the conical bore option is not as diverse as the cylindrical...
Ian Wilson
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

Oh and following up with the original question, I basically have a whistle in the same key for every type tone i want, basically. Guess that all falls on your personal preferences, i seem not to be fussy....and it's expensive :P
Ian Wilson
CrazedHavoc

Post by CrazedHavoc »

Well, i was a little bit nervous about the Susato, being that it's plastic, but i'm in love with it. I'm not sure... it's not that i'm afraid of the conical whistles, it's just, i don't know... maybe i would think differently if i tried one, but they just don't appeal to me.
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

well from what i gather, they are high on the air requirement and sound as chiify as their air requirement would suggest. They are comfortable to play as well. I think I'd be scared of a low whistle in a conical (those with copelands may want my head for saying that) :P

I heard Susatos were very loud. My dixons are plastic, so far i prefer my metals, they are are higher quality as well. I know people love their composite burkes so i guess it deopends on both the craftsman and the material, not just one or the other.
Ian Wilson
CrazedHavoc

Post by CrazedHavoc »

true... susatos are very loud, especially compared to my little black D, but i'm in love with mine. Strangely enough, i decided to go with a small bore, (louder and richer) rather than the VSB (quieter). Personally, i like both of the Walton's whistles as well. Each time i play any of them, i just fall deeper and deeper into them.
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

well if your susato is loud it'll be good if you play with other people :)
I keep falling in love with my macneil low D, don't know why, I just am, and it's a canadian maker! :P
Ian Wilson