What is a healthy number of whistles to have in any

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CrazedHavoc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by CrazedHavoc »

McHaffie wrote: I was going to say that also, if you can pick yourself up a brass Hoover, they are a pretty quiet, durable, and very nice sounding whistle. I have a Bb that is definitely one of my very favorites. I don't own a Thornton so I couldn't really compare sorry.

I have just sent an email, inquiring about them.. Thank you.

Also, to MagicSailor, i will check out a Thornton D.

Thank you all for your help!! :D :D

I do appreciate it.
"The death of beauty is just not possible even amongst all of the ugliness that is and can be."
CrazedHavoc

Post by CrazedHavoc »

i am in the process of ordering a brass Hoover. Thanks a bunch McHaffie!! :)
"The death of beauty is just not possible even amongst all of the ugliness that is and can be."
McHaffie

Post by McHaffie »

CrazedHavoc wrote:i am in the process of ordering a brass Hoover. Thanks a bunch McHaffie!! :)
No problem. You will find Mack is a wonderful person and is great to work with. You'll have to let us all know how you like it :)

Take care,
John
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai
CrazedHavoc

Post by CrazedHavoc »

hehe.. yeah, he is a great person to work with. I'm settling for that one right now, but i'm sure i'll love it. :) By that, i mean i'm just ordering one for now.
Last edited by CrazedHavoc on Tue Aug 12, 2008 10:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Here in Texas, we have a saying:

"A lot is good,
More is better,
Too much is just right."

The first whistler must have been a Texan.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
WyoBadger
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

I have sort of gotten over the Whoa thing in recent years. (talk about a statistical anamoly!) I now have one whistle in each key that I really like to play, and other than occasional experimental forays, I stick to those.

I believe it has helped my playing: Each instrument has its own personality, from the cheapies on up, and I find that it takes time to really be able to bring out the advantages and minimize the disadvantages of each. Thus I don't want 25 whistles in the key of D--just one that I can play really well.

Of course we all seem to go through the getting and spending thing, and I am just dying for a Burke Viper...but might I suggest that once you find a whistle that really sings for you, stick with it. As far as different sound qualities go, they are all just whistles afterall, and they all tend to sound like whistles. Apart from quality issues such as tuning, the differences seem to be more in the ear of the player than anything.

But above all, have fun. If owning a zillion whistles in each key is fun for you, go for it!
T
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
CrazedHavoc

Post by CrazedHavoc »

:D :D :D

My hoover whistle is in the mail.. Hehe... I can't wait for it to arrive. I'm so excited!!!
ziggysp2000
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ziggysp2000 »

Indeed....there is no doubt, I mean as I acquire whistles, some move into favor, some out of it. It's normal. Forcefully you're always going to pick up some more than others. I think that's one of the reasons WhOA is justified, it's the search for your whistle

Congrats on the Hoover Havoc :)
Ian Wilson
"If only my skill matched my passion"
CrazedHavoc

Post by CrazedHavoc »

Thanks, ziggy!

:P
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

kennychaffin wrote:42
Well said ;)
Ian Wilson
"If only my skill matched my passion"
Byll
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Long ago, I was told that I faked iTrad whistle work very well. I took that comment to heart. 20 years of private lessons - and many, many hours of rehearsal later - I certainly hope I have improved...

Post by Byll »

I think the Badger has hit upon a relatively universal truth. Those afflicted with Whoa tend to acquire - and then sell, trade, and give away those instruments that do not fit the parameters that subjectively define their needs and wants. Slowly - ever so slowly - a kind of stasis is reached, and an individual's whistle collection morphs into a set of instruments that will not be sold, traded, or given away... Whoa reaches a type of remission, which can raise its ugly head, but... the occurrences are relatively rare...

Enough philosophy for a Saturday morn.
Best to all.
Byll
'Everything Matters...'
Lisa Diane Cope 1963-1979