What is a healthy number of whistles to have in any

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CrazedHavoc
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by CrazedHavoc »

hehe... it will be quite a while before i can play well enough to think about playing with other people. I don't know if there are any whistle players anywhere near me, to tell you the truth. :P
"The death of beauty is just not possible even amongst all of the ugliness that is and can be."
mutepointe
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by mutepointe »

To answer you question: 0, 1, or infinity and beyond is the right number of whistles, take your pick.

Also, keep a whistle handy in your car (what a joy traffic jams and drive-thrus become, and anywhere else you may find an opportunity to play a whistle. I keep one in my fishing vest too and my suitcase.
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

I am so with mute, I always pick a high D, just in case ;) My girlfriend even reminds me to bring it :P
And yes havoc, I know your pain, frig around here varely anyone even knows what a low whistle is, let alone play either high or low whistle :P Fortunately it is an instrument that lends itself to solos :)
Ian Wilson
"If only my skill matched my passion"
CrazedHavoc

Post by CrazedHavoc »

Really? I will do that. ziggy, how long have you been playing?
"The death of beauty is just not possible even amongst all of the ugliness that is and can be."
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

Really not very long. See way back I used to play the flute, became pretty good at it. So then at some point I heard a low whistle and was just mesmorized, but at the time had no idea what the bleep it was. So 3 months ago i found out what it was, seeing one being played live. I have been practicing atleast a couple hours a day ever since :P

Anywho, alot of stuff has come back to me and my ear is being tuned again. Having said that, not been playing very long ;) I refer to signature as a defense, hahaha
Ian Wilson
CrazedHavoc

Post by CrazedHavoc »

hehe... i've been playing flute for 10 years, and i remember the day i first saw a flute, i was so taken by it. Really, i don't exactly know what caused me to look up "tin whistle," or how i found it, but i did and i love the sound of it. Plus, i wanted to change up my style of music and found the perfect opportunity. :D
Adrian

Post by Adrian »

I certainly don't think that 30 or 40 whistles in D is excessive. As for the other keys probably 4-6 will suffice.
CrazedHavoc

Post by CrazedHavoc »

30 whistles in D?? Seriously? alright. :P ok... now i definitely don't feel bad
ellenwhw

Post by ellenwhw »

Adrian wrote:I certainly don't think that 30 or 40 whistles in D is excessive. As for the other keys probably 4-6 will suffice.
I thought 3-4 is enough... :oops:

now I have to try to get 2 more... :twisted:
Ellen
ahogrelius
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

mutepointe wrote:To answer you question: 0, 1, or infinity and beyond is the right number of whistles, take your pick.

Also, keep a whistle handy in your car (what a joy traffic jams and drive-thrus become, and anywhere else you may find an opportunity to play a whistle. I keep one in my fishing vest too and my suitcase.

I consider infinity +1 the correct number... :D :D :D

Cheers,
Anders
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

Even I am feeling better about the number I have in one key, hahaha, and I just started! :P
Ian Wilson
Adrian W.

Post by Adrian W. »

ziggysp2000 wrote:well if your susato is loud it'll be good if you play with other people :)
I keep falling in love with my macneil low D, don't know why, I just am, and it's a canadian maker! :P
Cool.....I've met Ryan J., and he's a monster whistler and piper, and a really nice guy. A low D from him will be my next acquisition.....what do you like about yours? The adjustable mouthpiece is an interesting idea....do you play with yours a lot?
In Cape Breton, Nova Scotia
ziggysp2000

Post by ziggysp2000 »

Well granted I've only had my macneil low D for a few days now, i do play it alot. It's just a very simple, mellow tone. The volume can be quite soft, which makes it a nice, "lounge around and have fun" whistle. I have not experiemented too much with the adjustable mouthpeice yet but it basically changes the amount of chiff that you out of the whistle. Ryan told me there's about an eight of a inch play either way, that seems about accurate.

In terms of playability, it is a very forgiving whistle, there is no "weak hole" on this whistle, including the low D, the second register keeps the same tone as the first :) Overall very impressed, i think you will like yours.

My confession though is I am always afraid of denting it, I am used to my overton low D and as you might suspect, the beefiness of these two whistles is quite different ;)
Ian Wilson
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

CrazedHavoc wrote:well, i have a Walton's little black D for practice as i have unruly downstairs neighbors', a Walton's Mellow D and a Susato Kildare in D. I've only been playing for about a week, so i'm trying to restrain myself. I am a little bit interested in finding a quiet, durable D in case my practice one breaks. I discovered a way to mute whistles by putting an elastic band around the mouthpiece.
Thornton D is a nice whistle and relatively quiet.

Owen
McHaffie

Post by McHaffie »

MagicSailor wrote:
CrazedHavoc wrote:well, i have a Walton's little black D for practice as i have unruly downstairs neighbors', a Walton's Mellow D and a Susato Kildare in D. I've only been playing for about a week, so i'm trying to restrain myself. I am a little bit interested in finding a quiet, durable D in case my practice one breaks. I discovered a way to mute whistles by putting an elastic band around the mouthpiece.
Thornton D is a nice whistle and relatively quiet.

Owen
I was going to say that also, if you can pick yourself up a brass Hoover, they are a pretty quiet, durable, and very nice sounding whistle. I have a Bb that is definitely one of my very favorites. I don't own a Thornton so I couldn't really compare sorry.
"Remember... No matter where you go... there you are..."
-Buckaroo Banzai