Please help...whistle buying problems

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Habo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Please help...whistle buying problems

Post by Habo »

I own a Dixon Traditional high "D" whitle ...which I have given to my wife to play.

Today I received in the post a Chieftan high D whistle. AND I AM A BIT DISAPPOINTED.

The Chieftain sounds better than the Dixon in the low octive, BUT while I have no problem getting a full upper octive out of the Dixon I am having real trouble getting the second octive out of the Chieftain.

I am thinking about sending the Chieftain back (the seller is good and I am sure they will take it back) ... and buy something else...even another Dixon.

Is it most likely that my trouble with the Cheiftain is me? Could there be something wrong with my Chieftain.

I want a whistle that plays mellow and sweet.

HELP!
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

Sounds like it might be you... On the other hand, most whistles will not play "mellow and sweet" in the second octave, at least at and above the G. I recently got an Everywhistle from Carey Park and the mute allows the second octave to be a lot less strident. The only whistle I have played that isn't fairly loud in the second octave is the Burke DAN...

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
Thomaston

Post by Thomaston »

The Dixon Trad has an easier blowing 2nd octave than most whistles. If the Trad is your basis for whistle playing, I think you'll find that most other whistles are gonna need more of a push to get the higher notes. It sounds like this is likely your problem, although there is still the possibility of a faulty whistle.
When I first progressed beyond the Trad, I went through a lot of perfectly good whistles because the air requirements were more than what I was comfortable with. Even a Burke DAN felt like a lot by comparison. And I still regret that I ever got rid of my Busman cocobolo for the same reason.
And initially, I was unhappy with my Mellow Dog because of it, but stuck with it, and now I consider one of the best whistles I've ever played.
Now, I'm so used to it, I actually squeak in the lower octave on the Trad.
ahogrelius
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I'm just trying to update my profile. I need to change my location since I no longer is living in Sweden. I'm still playing the whistle though for the most time I'm just a lurker on the Chiff and Fipple board.

Post by ahogrelius »

Yep, I agree too. It's probably not the Chieftain that's the problem per se. They are well known for their high requirements especially in the second octave. I believe you have two options, either sending it back and getting another whistle or; -And I believe this is the better option, sticking with the Chieftain and learn how to deal with its special requirements.

Once you learn how to play it the Chieftain is a wonderful whistle. Recently I bought a Chieftain Mezzo D and I truly love it though it does need a LOT of air. On the other hand I've played a lot on my low D Chieftain lately and I was already used to the high air requirements necessary so adjusting to it wasn't that hard.

I can tell you that going from a Dixon Alu low D to the Chieftain low D was a similar experience to what you've had with your high whistles. Though the Dixon is pretty good I don't want to switch back to it from the Chieftain though...:)

Cheers,
Anders
If tin whistles are made of tin, what are foghorns made of?
arnie

Post by arnie »

You're looking for a Burke: very sweet sound, strong in the first octave, easy to blow in the second octave. Known to be a very easy player. I recognize the problems you have with both the Dixon (weak bellnote and weaker in first octave) and the Chieftain (very hard to blow in the second octave and too loud).
Bob the Whistler

Post by Bob the Whistler »

This is SO easy. www.burkewhistles.com Nothing more must be said. Listen to Arnie. He has the knowledge.
Bob Pegritz
Pittsburgh, PA
Habo

Post by Habo »

I want to thank you folk for your advise. I am going to do one of two things:
Keep the Chieftain whistle ...or
Ask for a replacement Cheiftain whistle ...just in case.

It does sound like I just need to work harder at the higher octive.

I have played several instruments over the years, trumpet, guitar, and bagpipe

I am teaching myself to play using books, so I am suffering from not having anyone to learn from.

Again, thank you for the advise
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I'd bet that most of us here are teaching ourselves with books, so you're not alone. :)

Jason
Bob the Whistler

Post by Bob the Whistler »

Well, you can lead a horse to water..... It has always been my understanding that the basics of the whistle should be taught. (I never had that luxury) Then, you learn more by listening to as many songs and tunes that have whistles in them. Then, by playing along. Oh sure, I'll probably start another hornet's nest, but I do know what works. If you do not practice regularly by LISTENING and playing, you should tape up the whistle holes and use it as a straw.
Bob Pegritz
Pittsburgh, PA
Paul

Post by Paul »

I'll bet your Chieftan is fine. Just spend some time with it. Like the others have said it takes some getting used to. The first time I ever tried to play a low whistle was on an Overton. I had the same sort of problems at first.

Low whistles are different animals. They just take getting used to.
Habo

Post by Habo »

If you do not practice regularly by LISTENING and playing, you should tape up the whistle holes and use it as a straw.

I got a real laugh from that.

By the way, my Chieftain is a high D alloy model.

I am going to call the music store today and talk the situation over with them. I don't have money to spend on one whistle after another.

Just for my information, which high D whistle do you prefer. As I live in Scotland I am very interested in the views of those here in the UK.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I don't have money to spend on one whistle after another.
Not to be slagging you but, in the light of the above maybe you should consider NOT buying whistles you have never tried through the post.

The only thing for it is to go out and try whistles you come across and buy the one you like. Asking for recommendations here will only tell you what other people have, not what is a good whistle or what you will like. No whistle is perfect, some are bland and expensive, some are lively and cheap, some are in tune and some are not and you'll find them all recommended here but there's only one person who can decide which one does the things you want it to do.
Sober Sam

Post by Sober Sam »

Why buy a Chieftain if you can buy an Overton from Colin?
Why do people use aluminum to put beer in it, if you can make whistles out of it?
riverman

Post by riverman »

arnie wrote:You're looking for a Burke: very sweet sound, strong in the first octave, easy to blow in the second octave. Known to be a very easy player. I recognize the problems you have with both the Dixon (weak bellnote and weaker in first octave) and the Chieftain (very hard to blow in the second octave and too loud).
Good advice. Burkes sound great and are not touchy on the bell note or rough in the second octave (though the high B is still loud for me--on any D whistle). They're easy players.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Ballyshannon

Post by Ballyshannon »

Hate to enter this thread late, but I have both whistles mentioned and it's comparing two entirely different instruments...both with their own personalities and uses.

The Dixon Trad follows the tradition of whistles like Generations that are very easy-blowing, requiring very little push or they're easily over-blown. With the Dixon trad you need to back off and control your tendency to push. It's not exactly a session whistle. The one I have is extremely touchy in both octaves and requires a lot of restraint to play reasonably well.

The Chieftain, on the other hand, is made by low whistle player Phil Hardy, and is meant to be loud, fat and full, requiring a completely different approach to playing. It's a whole other animal and a wonderful whistle for the right situations. The MOST IMPORTANT thing about the Chieftain is to make sure it's nice and warm before playing. It's amazing how difficult it is to play cold as opposed to warm. When it's warm, the sound comes into its own and the second octave that's nearly impossible when cold, becomes clear, strong, and pretty easy to play with some push. When it's cold, you'll get screeching, double notes, and raspy high G, A, and B notes. Once warm, you don't need as strong a push to hit those upper second octave notes clearly and they sing out. But you still need to maintain a good concentrated push of air. I had issues with it at first and contacted Phil for some help. He told me to make sure it's warm and maintain a good push of air from the belly. In his words, "If you've been used to easy-blowers, you have your work cut out for you but it'll be worth it." With some practice, I finally got the hang of it and love the whistle for loud sessions, outdoor gigs, etc. I was just so used to playing my Burkes, Sindt, and Reyburn for so long (easy blowers), I had to learn how to play the Chieftain.

As has been mentioned, I doubt there's anything wrong with your Chieftain. It just takes getting used to. If you haven't already done so, it'll help to soak it in water and some dish washing liquid like Dawn to make sure the airway is clean and void of any debris and/or oils from manufacturing. I got mine new, and to my disappointment discovered it contained a lot of metal shavings and fragments in the tube and some in the airway. After removing all that junk, it was much easier to play! Sure glad I didn't ingest any of it. I contacted Phil to let him know and he apologized profusely, saying it must have been one that slipped through final inspection.