First whistle recommendation

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
tabbyfl55

First whistle recommendation

Post by tabbyfl55 »

I'm an experienced woodwind player, but have never played a penny whistle. Now I'm looking to give it a go, and would like your recommendations for a beginner's whistle that will have a bright sound with lots of overtones in it. I'm not looking for a "pure" or "mellow" sound at all. I want a more whimsical sound. I've already got a well sound-proofed practice room, so volume...is good.

Appreciate any recommendations...thanks!
Thomaston
antispam: No

Post by Thomaston »

Sounds like a Clarke Sweetone would work well for you.

EDIT: On second thought, I'm not sure I'd consider the Sweetone whimsical. Or all that loud.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

The whistle you need then is a ''Generation'' brand. High D.
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Adrian
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Adrian »

Feadog nickel D would fit the bill very nicely . They are similar to the Gen D that Tommy recommended but much more consistent and without the 'lucky dip' aspect that there is when you buy a Gen D.
jemtheflute
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

Of you're an experienced wind player, you'll probably find the dodgy intonation of Sweetone and Feadog off-putting - better to insist at the music shop on going through a box of D Generations and finding a good one that plays with a clean, round tone and responsively across the 2+ 8ve range - it should at least be in tune with itself (so far as a diatonic instrument can be). Or get a Susato or Dixon or (search this forum) a GG. They're in the next price bracket up but still won't break the bank. Welcome and good luck!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
tabbyfl55

hmm

Post by tabbyfl55 »

Thanks for all the good info so far.

Unfortunately, I don't expect to have the luxury of being able to try a lot of penny whistles at my local music stores, and will probably have to buy online. I had heard that the Generation whistles were inconsistent, though for the price, I suppose I could afford to take a chance. The price of the Dixon and Susato don't put me off either. I think I'd prefer the feel of tin over plastic, but that's just a guess. A lot of sites seem to recommend the Dixon trad, but I'm concerned that the sound might be warmer than I want.

Anybody got a link to a sound file of a Dixon trad being played? That'd be a great resource.
Cayden

Re: hmm

Post by Cayden »

tabbyfl55 wrote:. A lot of sites seem to recommend the Dixon trad, but I'm concerned that the sound might be warmer than I want.

Anybody got a link to a sound file of a Dixon trad being played? That'd be a great resource.
Like any whistle, not every Trad is like the next one. You'll find clips like this one on WhistleThis if you dig around a bit.
rance

Post by rance »

Tony Hinnigan reviews/plays one (Dixon Trad) on his Old Grey Whistle Test. http://www.tonyhinnigan.com/moviedl.php?group=29

You can also hear a Susato as well.

Rance
charlie_butterworth

Post by charlie_butterworth »

I just got a Dixon Trad in nickel. It's good value for the money (I think). Compared with my other whistles, it doesn't seem very mellow.

Charlie
breqwas

Post by breqwas »

One more "tell me your favorite whistle" thread. I love them :)

P.S. Mine favorites are Granite Falls Manufacturing and Busman :)
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Didn't see anyone recommend a Clarke Original yet. It's my favorite right behind my Dixon Trad. :)
Kenny A. Chaffin
Photos: http://www.kacweb.com/cgibin/emAlbum.cgi
Art: http://www.kacweb.com/pencil.html
"Strive on with Awareness" - Siddhartha Gautama
Henke
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Henke »

kennychaffin wrote:Didn't see anyone recommend a Clarke Original yet. It's my favorite right behind my Dixon Trad. :)
Because he specifically requested a whistle which is not soft and mellow.
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

Henke wrote:
kennychaffin wrote:Didn't see anyone recommend a Clarke Original yet. It's my favorite right behind my Dixon Trad. :)
Because he specifically requested a whistle which is not soft and mellow.
Ah, well, you can play it harshly. :)

And as far as whimsical I'd agree with Casey, my Sweetone sounds very whimsical to me followed by my Susatos

KAC
Kenny A. Chaffin
tabbyfl55

Post by tabbyfl55 »

Just thought I'd let you all know that after listening to Hinnigan go through a whole bunch of high-D whistles, I really liked the Harper and Fred Rose whistles, but don't want to drop that much on a first whistle, so I ordered a Sweetone.

After I've decided that I want to stick with it, I'll go for the upgrade. Besides, I'll need other keys eventually.

Cheers to all, and thanks for the advice!
kennychaffin

Post by kennychaffin »

tabbyfl55 wrote:Just thought I'd let you all know that after listening to Hinnigan go through a whole bunch of high-D whistles, I really liked the Harper and Fred Rose whistles, but don't want to drop that much on a first whistle, so I ordered a Sweetone.

After I've decided that I want to stick with it, I'll go for the upgrade. Besides, I'll need other keys eventually.

Cheers to all, and thanks for the advice!
Cool!
Kenny A. Chaffin