Copeland Update

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
MusicalADD
antispam: No

Post by MusicalADD »

I'm guessing that the lack of comments is due to the fact that this sad news isn't really much of a surprise. I mean, this topic isn't so much news, as it is confirmation of what has been suspected for a while.

I am very fond of my Copeland A, and I regularly kick myself for waiting too long while someone else bought a Copeland silver D that I had my eye on. That whistle is now set in my mind as "the one that got away."

It's also hard to know what to say about Mr Copeland or his retirement, as I know nothing about him, other than his whistles. But at any rate I wish him a happy retirement.
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

:( I may never own one now. Ah well... so many whistles, so many tunes, so little time, so much less money. :)

Sorry to hear of the end of an era, but glad to know that your friendship survives and of the happiness that has come into Michael's life.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Paddyman

Post by Paddyman »

jmccain wrote:
kennychaffin wrote:
True a loss, but what are you gonna do.
Rend garments and gnash teeth.

Do I have to tell you lot everything?
Well, you do if you want us to vote for you in November, John McCain. :D
psychodonald
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Very much enjoy all flutes, bagpipes and whistles. I'm an older player; however, an active learner. I take current lessons from an Irish Flute tutor, a Boehm Flute tutor and a Highland Bagpipe tutor. I'm a great believer in lessons and without the assistance of a tutor, I find that I would be repeating the same mistakes over and over again, making me proficient in poor music.

A Great Loss

Post by psychodonald »

This news feels to me like the sense of loss I felt when Glenn Shultz passed away not too long ago. I'm indeed happy for both Jim and Michael as they are doing what they want to do at this point in their lives; however, it's a great loss for all of us. :sniffle:
feadog39
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by feadog39 »

really sorry to hear this. i have a fond memory of meeting michael at his shop in philly, what, well over ten tens ago now. i drove down from boston to buy what was my first copeland whistle, a C. he'd just completed a batch of them, i tried them all and picked out what must be one of the best whistles out there. i also have a low and high D, both also world class instruments.

no doubt it's got to be hard to make a buck in the whistle business, now especially with all the competition out there. nevertheless, i'm still a bit surprised the trade mark and know-how hasn't been handed off to someone else. i hope perhaps after michael's gotten away from it there will be some opportunity for some trusted and enterprising soul to resurrect what is a world class tin whistle brand and whistle-making tradition.

In the mean time, I wish michael and all those associated with copeland woodwinds all the best, and extend a special thanks to michael for creating instruments that are close to my heart and responsible for some of the best musical moments of my life (so far).
Brendan
levison

fix unfortunate tuning of a late Copeland?

Post by levison »

I bought one of the last high D's from Michael Copeland, but sadly it is not possible to get in tune, especially the low D. Just before he went out of business, Michael offered to fix it, but I fear I am now too late.

Tried to delete this msg but couldn't figure out how.... so will just update it to say that the whistle in question is now on it's way to Michael for a tuneup, hurray!!
Last edited by levison on Sat Jul 19, 2008 7:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

>Just before he went out of business, Michael offered to fix it, but I fear I am now too late.

I'd try to contact him anyway. Even though he's not making more whistles, he might be willing to bring yours up to snuff.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
seanc
Tell us something.: I am primarily a bass player for 30+ years in rock bands. Making an effort to expand my horizons. Currently struggling with concertina. Completely befuddled by Uilleann pipes.

Post by seanc »

What seems surprising to me is that there just seem to NONE anywhere.

None on ebay, none to be had anywhere new old stock or used.

What is up with that? Given that he was making whistles for quite a long time and there was a dealer network set up you'd think that somebody out there is sitting on stock.

Anybody know if there are any out there to be found and where to look??
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

You might put in a standing request with Doc Jones. If anyone is likely to have one come his way, it's Doc.

Also, this poster was offering 2 a few days ago:
http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ht=#803305
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

seanc wrote:
Anybody know if there are any out there to be found and where to look??
I only have two, a nickel D, and a brass Bb. Both are mesmerizing, and I am taking them with me. :P
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

seanc wrote:Anybody know if there are any out there to be found and where to look??
Just like Tommy, I've got a couple Copelands. I am "willing" to part with mine. I just haven't decided which kid they are going to be willed to.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
PhilO

Post by PhilO »

I have eight of Michael's whistles. I recall quite some time ago, maybe 15-20 years ago, Michael fell ill and was apparently actually gone for awhile and brought back. I happened to be traveling in California and as I often do sought out shops that sold whistles. I found a Lark in the Morning in Mendicino and remember the manager (who played a less than wonderful rendition of The Butterfly) telling me that he just took the Copelands he had in the case out for himself, because they may not be made anymore.

Again, I am happy that if they cease to be made this time, it will be for a happy reason of Michael's own choosing.

I don't know, maybe in a hundred years, it'll be so cool to have Copelands in one's study. :wink:

Philo
"This is this; this ain't something else. This is this." - Robert DeNiro, "The Deer Hunter," 1978.
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Yes, I think these are going to last for centuries.
also they are among the most interesting
and lovely wind instruments ever made.
Michael was once a jeweler and he apprenticed
making organ pipes, I believe. Both
arts came together in these whistles.

When I called him on the phone he would
talk about musical intervals running through
nature, music underlying the physical universe. We would
talk about the ancient greek idea of
'the music of the spheres,' which was
that the planets are arranged in musical
intervals and sound a chord as they
move in their orbits--the greeks said we call it
'silence' as we always hear it.
Michael was the last of the Pythagoreans.

And Jim R has always been as friendly and
helpful as anybody could be.
Bob the Whistler

Post by Bob the Whistler »

One of the reasons that I do not post a lot is because of all of the so-called experts that reply that know so much more than I do.

Mike continues to make whistles. That's right. He just made up a dozen silver high D's and shipped them last week. And no, I didn't hear this through the grapevine. We spoke on the phone.
Bob Pegritz
Pittsburgh, PA
jloug

Post by jloug »

I was told there was an unfriendly breakup of CW in late 2006.