Philly

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Leahcim
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Philly

Post by Leahcim »

I'm going down to Philadelphia for the weekend. It'll be my first time out of New England :P I was just wondering if there were any good whistle stores in that area. I have yet to find any around here :sniffle: So I figured I'd take a look down there.
RamblDoc
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Trying out tin whistles

Post by RamblDoc »

HI:
First, I don't know anything about retail whistle stores in the Philly area. Boston has zilch as far as I've been able to tell.

SUGGESTION---
Keep your eyes open for the North East Whistle Gathering 2008, usually held in New England. There, you'll be more likely able to try lots more whistles than most stores. Opportunities to buy new, used or trade instruments. Good advice, purchasing tips, etc. You'll learn a lot, just by trying and comparing whistles.

The Song of the Sea in Bar Harbor, Maine, is the biggest whistle store in these parts, as far as I know. Check out their website.
Hope this is helpful. Lloyd
NoMattch

Post by NoMattch »

I wish I had better news for you but I've lived in Philly all my life and never found a place that I'd call a "good whistle store". Nearly every whistle I have was bought from somewhere else. The only place that might be worth a visit is the Bucks County Folk Music Shop (http://www.bucksmusic.com) but I'd call to see what is in stock before heading out there as it's almost an hour from center city Philly. Good Luck!
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I'll agree with NoMattch. I have lived in the Philadelphia region most of my life. Bucks Folk is the only decent retailer around. I live north of them. They are the makers of Buck bodhrans, if you are inclined to beat the goat. The last time I visited them they had a good stock of cheapies. I bought a few Gens that day. They also had Sweetheart products and Chieftain whistles. It would have been nice to visit Michael Copelend's shop. You could visit Vintage Instruments if you like flutes or stringed instruments.

http://www.vintage-instruments.com/

Oh, and Song of the Sea is worth the trip as RamblDoc suggested. They are really nice people and have good stuff in stock everytime I have been there.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
Leahcim

Post by Leahcim »

I looked up the bucks place and it turns out to be literally a ten minute walk down the street from where I'm moving to. Was that lucky or what :lol: So I was hopeing you could tell me what other kinds of whistles and flutes they usually keep in stock. They're web site was not very descriptive.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Leahcim wrote:I looked up the bucks place and it turns out to be literally a ten minute walk down the street from where I'm moving to.
Cool!
Leahcim also wrote:I was hopeing you could tell me what other kinds of whistles and flutes they usually keep in stock.
The Bucks Folk website hasn't changed in years. What is in the shop changes regularly. So you may want to check with them yourself. Folk music is alive and doing well in these parts. Bucks Folks Music has been part of the scene for a long time. As I said earlier, they will have a good stock of factory produced whistles on hand from well known makers, including Generation whistles in all the keys. What they have beyond that may vary over time. Welcome to the neighborhood.

Feadoggie
greenspiderweb
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by greenspiderweb »

I used to hang out there about 3-4 years ago when I was first getting into whistles and flutes. At that time, their biggest stock was Generations, Susatos and Sweethearts, and then the odd Clark, Oak, Shaw. For lows, a Howard and an old style Kerry and Shaw.

Not much in flutes, except a few Sweethearts and low end Dixons. But as I said, that was then-haven't been back since, so it really is best to call and find out what they have at the moment if you're looking for something specific.

They were more focused on acoustic folk stringed instruments than Irish winds-like guitars, banjos, mandolins, etc., but have some real odds and ends too, and for the most part prices are higher than the web and larger discount stores, naturally. But you can at least try some out and buy what you like, if you're there, unlike the internet.

If she's still there, Evelyn was pretty knowledgeable in Irish music and instruments, and quite helpful.

Welcome to PA!
~~~~
Barry
NoMattch

Post by NoMattch »

Poking around on the internet, I came across the fact that Michael Copeland has (or had?) his shop in Philly. I must have known that... maybe... once... :-?
http://www.chiffandfipple.com/mcinterview.html
Michael Copeland, 609 Pine St. Philadelphia, PA ph. 215-545-5574.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

NoMattch wrote:Poking around on the internet, I came across the fact that Michael Copeland has (or had?) his shop in Philly.
Yep! Unfortunately, those times have gone. Michael moved the shop across the river to New Jersey a few years ago and now there is some concern about what's happening with his whistle and flute business.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=58458

He's a nice guy and I like his whistle a lot. I play one of his flutes and a couple of his whistles.

Feadoggie
Leahcim

Post by Leahcim »

So I went to Bucks Music, and it was great. I ended up with a fife in Bb, a flute in F, a gen Bb, and another flute but in G. The atmosphere of the little folk shop was very warm and welcoming. And they really knew what they were talking about too!

Bottom line, I highly recomend this music shop to anyone. This will definatly not be the last time I go for a visit.