Does a maker's website need good soundsamples?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Cayden

Does a maker's website need good soundsamples?

Post by Cayden »

It is a pet peeve of mine and I have often aired it in places that caused people to be offended and discussions turn ugly. So I cut it loose here from any particular maker-person/player so nobody needs to take umbrage or start shouting. So behave.

If, and it doesn't happen very often, I get the urge to buy a whistle I'd like to try it before buying. I want to know what I am getting myself in for. Occasionally however curiosity gets the better of me, be it because a whistle looks particularly nice or because people here rave about it and I'd like to know more. At that point I go to a maker's website, look at the pictures, read the blurb and if there are any I listen to soundclips. Mind you, I have broadband since two weeks ago so I have done this pretty sparingly in the past but when I did I was pretty motivated and listening was the last step before ordering. However, each and every clip I have heard turned me off the whistle in question. Why? Well, unfortunately most clips I heard sounded like they were played by someone pulled out of a lower intermediate whistle class and rarely managed to put in any significant way across what the instrument in question was capable of.
Ofcourse I have heard the argument that has been made on the forums often that says 'I don't want a good player to play the clips, a good player can make anything sound good, I want a beginner to play it so I know what I will sound like'. That doesn't work for me, I am fully aware I and anybody else can sound mediocre on any given instrument, buying a new instrument I want to be lured, I want to be amazed, I want to hear the whistle do something my current whistles can't (no point in buying it otherwise is there?). In other words I want to hear an instrument shine in the hands of a capable player who pays attention to detail and tone colour. In other words I want to get as good an impression of an instrument a can be gleaned from a simple soundclip with regards to tuning, responsiveness and all these little things that are important.

Is it too much to ask. Well, in a lot of cases it seems to be.

I think makers putting up mediocre clips are not doing themselves any favours, from a marketing point of view. I have been repeatedly turned off a purchase and I doubt I am alone in this.

As a side issue I think (and will probably get the barbs up) that if a maker is not an excellent player or has access to excellent players who can provide him with informed feedback I'd be very wary to buy an instrument because in my experience (with whistles, uilleann pipes and flutes) a maker as described above fails to appreciate the finer points of playing the instrument and will thus not be able to make the instrument a good player can.

So that's it. Fire away.

No particular maker or player was targeted or harmed in the writing of this post so don't get your knickers in a twist when replying. I you get fired up by any of the content, think things through and post only after an hour.
Ronbo
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ronbo »

Can't hurt. The more good info the makers put out, the better for them. It might be tough for some of them to get a sufficiently good player in their locale, but I would bet that some of the better players (or claimed better players :D ) on this site would be glad to volunteer some tunes just to get to play with the whistles a while, or maybe for a discount or freebie. Did I just manage to offend anyone? If not, I will try again later. :cry:
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

Ronbo wrote:Can't hurt. The more good info the makers put out, the better for them. It might be tough for some of them to get a sufficiently good player in their locale,
Does it worry you if a maker isn't a good enough player to put them up himself and apparently doesn't know anyone who can?
avanutria
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: A long time chatty Chiffer but have been absent for almost two decades. Returned in 2022 and still recognize some names! I also play anglo concertina now.

Post by avanutria »

Not if they have a good reputation in the general whistle community, and good customer service (answering my questions promptly and offering a return policy).

I know at least one excellent maker who isn't a player at all. It doesn't affect the happiness of their customers.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

'General Whistle Community' ?
susnfx
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by susnfx »

In my opinion a maker should put up the best sound samples they can possibly get--if the maker is only a mediocre player, find someone else to play the sound samples. I believe the example has been given before that if you're selling pianos, you probably wouldn't put up a sound sample of your five-year-old granddaughter playing "Twinkle, Twinkle Little Star." I don't know how much it helps or hurts actual sales, but I would think that if you go to the trouble to make the best whistles you can make, are proud of them and ready to ask people for money for them, you'd make every effort to put out the very best sound samples possible.

Susan
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I think the way you present your instrument says something about how you regard your product and your customers.
Akiba
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I am an Irish flute player and whistler. I have been a member since 2007? This has been one of the most informative sites on Irish flute I have found.

Re: Does a maker's website need good soundsamples?

Post by Akiba »

Agreed.

No other company would have a mediocre demo of its product. "Look at our computer. It can run really really fast, but here's a demo of mediocre performance. Now, how many do you want with your first order?" (Great assumptive sales close, eh? Zig Zigler would be proud :D )

Sometimes I wonder if I just have a wrong idea/expectation of how flutes/whistles should sound and how ITM should be played...
Reyburnwhistles

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

Peter,

I hear that you are new to broadband so haven't listened to a lot of clips and the ones you've heard are mediocre ("each and every clip I have heard turned me off the whistle in question"). So to brighten your day I invite you to visit my site at www.reyburnlowwhistles.com/sound.html and listen to the Session D clip which is played by Pat O'Scannell. She is a 25 year veteran of the whistle and a virtuoso musician in general. Pat is the music director and co-artistic director of the Terra Nova Consort, ensemble in residence at the Oregon Shakespeare Festival and plays more instruments than anyone I've ever seen. A brilliant musician.

There is also a clip of Pat playing my Session D on Tony Higgin's Tin Whistle Tunes site here http://www.tinwhistletunes.com/clipssni ... rePatO.mp3

Peter I trust this will give you some hope in the realm of sound clips.

Ronaldo
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

I think I could do without the band and the reverb but that's certainly an improvement, fair play
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

....as I said in the other thread, you cannot compare every instrument with every instrument... I personally would not care if my bodhran maker cannot play his bodhrans as long as he is skilled enough in wood works and knows how to treat the goat skin or uses the best source but if he can play as well you can get bodhrans like Christian Hedwitschaks, a master carpenter who designed his bodhrans to how he wanted them as a player and who custom makes to other professional players wishes. Going to him and saying what I want, he understands what I am talking about... if I then think of the quirks and problems that can appear with wind instruments and different players styles, I find it hard to think my flute maker can not play himself at least so that he can make sure the instrument can do what I need it for when playing professionally... I personally would go somewhere else as I find it odd again to become a flute maker/instrument maker and not being able to play the thing myself... I do not work as an accountant if I cannot calculate, secretary if cannot type....

sound samples I think can be provided differently, certainly hard for most makers to pay in instruments, discounts or the likes for receiving samples from players... i.e. we have no technical equipment at our home to do proper recordings from instruments, telephone helps and music samples online from other players hopefully compensate that lack of own samples. If you have one instrument and three different players, you will have three different sounds so sound samples are really subjective and can only tell about a particular instrument with a particular player, the next instrument or player sounds different so it is a tough one to judge from one sample.

Brigitte
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

If you have one instrument and three different players, you will have three different sounds so sound samples are really subjective and can only tell about a particular instrument with a particular player, the next instrument or player sounds different so it is a tough one to judge from one sample.
That's a fair point and selecting an instrument from clips only is decidedly dodgy but sometimes if the urge is there it can help swing the decision and I think you can get at least an impression of a few features.
Reyburnwhistles

Post by Reyburnwhistles »

Peter,

Pat is a very busy person and didn't have the time to come to my studio to make a clip so she gave me a cd of a live performance at the Green Show at the Shakespeare Festival, which is where the clip came from (band and all).

It would be fabulous to have players of her quality available to make clips for me but such is not the case.

Ronaldo
Craig Stuntz

Post by Craig Stuntz »

Ronaldo, I think the point here is that it's better to have a poor recording of a good player than a great recording of a poor player. Hence, what you currently have up is, despite the band, better than what a lot of makers offer.
Cayden

Post by Cayden »

what you currently have up is, despite the band, better than what a lot of makers offer.
exactly