never satisfied?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
chrisp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

never satisfied?

Post by chrisp »

Hello all,

i've been playing the whistle for about two years now, and have learned quite a list of tunes. I can't seem to put it down, I'm really hooked and enjoy playing.
The problem is, no matter how well i learn a tune i'm never satisfied. It seems there is always at least one error even though i've played it one hundred times over or more. I don't suppose a non whistler would always notice, but i feel sometimes I'M NEVER GOING TO GET THERE.
any advice?
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: never satisfied?

Post by Nanohedron »

chrisp wrote:Hello all,

i've been playing the whistle for about two years now, and have learned quite a list of tunes. I can't seem to put it down, I'm really hooked and enjoy playing.
The problem is, no matter how well i learn a tune i'm never satisfied. It seems there is always at least one error even though i've played it one hundred times over or more. I don't suppose a non whistler would always notice, but i feel sometimes I'M NEVER GOING TO GET THERE.
any advice?
There's the tale of an aspiring piper who happened to be offered by the fairies the choice of playing to please oneself, or to please others. He chose that his playing should please himself, and it was glorious, but the flipside was that his playing did nothing for the people. He eventually felt isolated and depressed, and asked if he could switch wishes; it was granted. Now everyone raved about his playing and he never lacked for work or praises, but the flipside in THIS case was that he would never, ever be pleased with his own playing. Ever.

Consider yourself lucky. :wink:

But more practically speaking, you're in a good place. If you can hear what should be corrected or can be improved, you can correct or improve it. Whether you will is up to you. But if you can't hear it...you're probably stuck for sure.

The best players are dissatisfied in some way with their own playing. I've heard 'em talk about it.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
chrisp

Post by chrisp »

That was a great way of putting it. I feel a lot better about it now
THANK YOU
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Post by Nanohedron »

[voice=television announcer]This educational moment was brought to you by the fine folks at Chiff and Fipple.[/voice]

:wink:
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
misterpatrick

Post by misterpatrick »

He should have changed his wish to having his pipes actually play in tune - 'cause that would be magic. :wink:
Nanohedron
Moderatorer

Post by Nanohedron »

misterpatrick wrote:He should have changed his wish to having his pipes actually play in tune - 'cause that would be magic. :wink:
I see two possible answers to that: 1) that his second wish already had that in the package (I mean, everyone loved his playing, right? Who's gonna love out-of-tune pipes?), or 2) there is the grim - and likely, I fear - possibility that there are some things even the powers of faerie cannot touch.
Doc Jones

Post by Doc Jones »

My mother is an old quilter...does amazing work.

Once she was quilting with a young girl. The girl became discouraged that her stitches weren't perfect.

Mom said "Oh honey, don't you worry. They're just right. After all, a machine can do it perfectly. It's the humanity that makes it beautiful."

Play with your heart to please your audience and you will...regardless of what your human fingers do. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

Yeah, what Doc said...
Don't agonize over a mistake or two. If that's all you're making, you're doing GREAT!
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
slowair

Post by slowair »

This view would have been my own a few years ago. Found it very frustrating!

Then I joined a session or two. Then I joined a band. Now I've only been playing since 2001. Some of these people have played for 50+ years. Since they were little kids!!! And they are fantastic at what they do. Honestly.

Now sit with them long enough and play the same tunes set after set and you will hear even the best make mistakes.

Do NOT let your search for perfection ruin what you do. You're playing because you enjoy it. The great thing is, when other musicians mess up or you mess up, you'll either ignore it or pass a knowing smile between you.

Other musicians will hear the mistake and it doesn't matter. Believe me. The audience only hears great music. And when they applaud, that my friend is verification that you played well enough. It's the magic not even a faerie can produce.

Mike