Opinion of "Wicked Whistles"??

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
skywatcher
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Opinion of "Wicked Whistles"??

Post by skywatcher »

Has anyone tried/own a Wicked Whistle? Any opinions/ reviews would be appriciated.
Thanks and GOD bless you!
Skywatcher
"Watchin' the sky, ready to fly!"
Don in AZ

Wicked Whistle

Post by Don in AZ »

I bought a low F, which is easy to finger, and well made in a unique kind of way for the price.

The windway produces a good sound, but for me, is very breathy.

I still think it a good starter instrument.

Don in AZ
iwanttotoot

Post by iwanttotoot »

I bought a couple of them and ended up giving them away. They were too breathy for me. I would recommend a tweaked shaw or tweaked sweetone for a beginner instead.
jemtheflute
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by jemtheflute »

A pupil of mine bought a low D. Duff. Don't bother - they're cheap, but save the money for something better - or follow Guido Gonzato's guide and you can make something better yourself with little effort or practice for a quarter of the price too!
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
The Round Tree

Wicked whistles

Post by The Round Tree »

I was given 2 whistles a low D & a low G. I agree they are very breathy, but once you get used to them they are ok. I am not a good whistle player, but have quite a few whistle. I have three low Gs and I find the Wicked the easiet to finger, but it takes alot of breath. Things did inmprove when I swabbed as recommended, with silicon. Same with the D, easiest to finger, but very breathy. They would not be my first choice, but still not a bad whistle. I also agree, I would not recomend them as a first whistle.
Recommending a whistle is hard everyone has their favorite. You have to find the one that suits you best. Some of the best whistle players I've heard in the US or Ireland play Generations and Waltons and both are inexpensive. I have both and like both. I also have some expensive wooden whistles and synthetic whistles and like some and not others.
However, since they are so easy to finger, I plan to try Rod's low whistles when they come out in wood, hopefully this summer.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Hubby got me one. A Low F. It's different.

It is tunable, made of white plastic with a black fipple plug, with a copper tuning slide (covered by a removable sleeve of the plastic) and has a removable fipple cover that makes up the outer section of the windway.

It has a nice sound, seems well in tune, decent bell note volume, and is pretty nicely made, with smooth edges, and clean holes (not too big). It takes a lot of breath though ... a lot! (more than my Howard Low D or my Schultz Water Weasel Low G). I am not disappointed in it considering the price, but I do wish it didn't take so much air. It will be interesting to see if I can manage to work up to it.

If I get time, I'll post some photos of the fipple, since that is the place that it differs most from other whistles.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com