A cheap, decent A whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
skywatcher
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

A cheap, decent A whistle?

Post by skywatcher »

Hi!
I'm looking for a whistle in the key of A to play occasionally. I don't want to spend hundreds of dollars, yet want something decent and wondered if there exists such a whistle? Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks and GOD bless you!
Skywatcher
"Watchin' the sky, ready to fly!"
Steamwalker
antispam: No

Post by Steamwalker »

Susato would be your best bet.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

I believe that http://irishflutestore.com currently has a Sindt A in the inventory. I have one and I like it a lot.
Guidus

Post by Guidus »

How about a non-tuneable for 20 Euro? I'd make it for you. Or, you could try to make it yourself.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

I have an Overton A which is astounding. There might be a used one out there somewhere.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
trill

A whistle

Post by trill »

I have a Dixon tunable A that I like very much.
jloug

Post by jloug »

You can get a Sindt or Humphrey Low A for just a bit over a hundred. Both are excellent.
benbrad

Post by benbrad »

I have a Susato A and a Whistlesmith A. I like Susato whisltes very much and I have many of them but I do not like the A whistle. The lower tone holes in the Susato A are the largest I have ever seen which makes it difficult to play even using the piper's grip which I am accustomed to. On the other hand the Whistlesmith holes are small and close together and do not require the piper's grip even for players with small hands such as most women have. The tone and volume are good and it has a metal tuning slide. If something happened to my Whistlesmith A I would buy another. If something happened to my Burke or Greenwood I would not replace them. I don't know of a better endorsement. Also I might mention that the Whistlesmith sells for about $40.
Last edited by benbrad on Wed Mar 12, 2008 9:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ben
FJohnSharp
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I traded for an A whistle and was able to try the Sausato and the Shaw. I picked the Shaw because the last finger stretch on the Sausato was more than I wanted to deal with. The Shaw has a wonderful low end and a comfortable finger stretch, but is not for everyone in terms of tone and playablity. I hope this summer to try a Burke at the Dubln Irish festival.
Doc Jones
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by Doc Jones »

Hi Skywatcher,

I have an A whistle by an unknown maker. I'm guessing it's factory made somewhere other than Ireland. It's all brass and in tune with itself and has sort of a nice lovely Hooverish kind of tone...quiet but not wimpy.

Anyway, send me your address if you'd like and I'll send it to you.

If you like it, you can send a donation to the kids at the orphanage http://foyerdesion.org/.

I have it's twin and also a low G whistle of the same family if anyone else is interested. I'd prefer not to ship them outside the US as it's a bit spendy for this sort of deal.

Email me if you want one. :)

Doc
:) Doc's Book

Want to learn about medicinal herbs?
Doc's Website

Want to become a Clinical Herbalist? Doc's Herb School
bud

Cheap, decent whistle in A

Post by bud »

Doc, check your PM
Bud Savoie