Nervousness...(AKA sheet music=security blanket??)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
iwanttotoot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by iwanttotoot »

Any suggestions for overcomming ties to sheet music?

Hi there. I used to have that problem as well with the piano. I relied on my sheet music to be there and never wanted to memorize or if I did I still relied on the sheet music just for security.

I've weaned myself from that and all it takes is practice. If you know it by memory just play it, play through the mistakes. Don't stop but take a mental note of where you messed up and when you play it again pay special attention to the section you messed up on to get it correct.

I think the only people who don't tense up when playing in public are children. They have no inhibitions but unfortunately as adults we are so inhibited, worrying about mistakes, what other people will think.

I finally got rid of being tense by developing a non chalant attitude. I'm very forgiving of myself now, I make it a point to go to places like guitar center and play on their demos and this has helped tremendously. Do you know why? Because no one really cares if you mess up.

Learn a tune really well and play it everywhere for anybody and soon you'll be less tense and you'll have weaned yourself of the security blanket
MaryC
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing the whistle is so much easier than playing the accordion: I've never yet found an accordion which would fit into my handbag!

Post by MaryC »

I can listen to a tune dozens of times, and still not really learn it - it just doesn't sink in. In fact, I don't actually really internalise it until I've tried to either play or sing it.

This is fine for songs ... just sing the words.

For tunes, I try to make some sort of nonsense phrase out of the title, and "fit" that to the tune in my head. Don't need to do the whole tune, just the first phrase or two .. hear the title, think the phrase, notes come out.

For example, what I'm learning now just had "Oh listen to the silver spear it plays a pretty tune so" put to it.

works for me, ymmv.