Newbie fingering question

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
terrilwest

Newbie fingering question

Post by terrilwest »

Hello. I am having a lot of trouble with finger placement - I can't seem to cover the holes properly. I've been YouTubing and see people playing the whistle and their fingers seem like they are flat on the whistle, but I don't seem to cover the holes well without having a death grip on the thing!

Any tips would be appreciated!
Thanks!
Terri
Whistle wannabe
MTGuru
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by MTGuru »

Hi Terri, and welcome!

Yes, keep your fingers fairly flat, pointing across the whistle. Use the fleshy pads near your fingertips, not the tips themselves. The pads are kind of squishy and will sink into the holes a bit.

Try this. Without blowing, finger a D on your whistle, with all fingers down. Press hard for a couple of seconds, then remove your fingers and look at them. You should see little indentations from the holes, and the indentations should be centered on the pads. If not, reposition your fingers and try again. Feel the holes under your fingers. When you can do this consistently, relax your finger pressure (no death grip!), then play an ascending D scale and check that each note sounds cleanly. Voilà! With your fingers positioned correctly, you don't need to press hard at all to cover the holes. Good position is more important than pressure.

Hope that helps ...
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Innocent Bystander

Post by Innocent Bystander »

MTGuru wrote: Good position is more important than pressure.
Hear Hear! Words to live by.
Wizard needs whiskey, badly!
taity
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by taity »

a word u will see pop up here most times is practice and its true. i thought i would never get a tune from the whistle how wrong am i
keep at it it pays off :D
http://sargclub.co.uk/

Wha's Like Us?

Damn Few And They're A' Died!
jemtheflute

Post by jemtheflute »

Have a look through these old threads which should have some helpful stuff in, though much of their contact is aimed at helping a child, so you may need to browse them selectively, but I think you'll find doing so worthwhile. There are doubtless more out there if you use the forum's search facility.... - keywords like "hold" and "grip" etc. should bring some useful stuff up.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=54504

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=53475

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php?t=54440

and this one, whilst the thread was on a different topic, my last post may be helpful......http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... ht=#711009.
I respect people's privilege to hold their beliefs, whatever those may be (within reason), but respect the beliefs themselves? You gotta be kidding!

My YouTube channel
My FB photo albums
Low Bb flute: 2 reels (audio)
Flute & Music Resources - helpsheet downloads
iwanttotoot

Post by iwanttotoot »

That's really good advice Mtguru, I have the same problem mostly with one hole. I think mostly with the E and before heading to work I tried your advice and it worked nicely.

being a piano player I know practice practice practice will pay off as well. Just yesterday my husband commented "that sounds really nice" when just last week, he thanked me when I stopped playing. :D
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

I use a little bit of Palmer's Cocoa Butter hand cream on my fingers to soften and make the pads of my fingers more sensitive.

When you relax enough to feel the holes, that's the right force for your fingers.

When you get to the note G, remember to put a finger down on the bottom hand to keep it balanced so you don't drop it. Some people use the ring finger, some people prefer the pinkie.
terrilwest

Post by terrilwest »

Thanks you guys! :D Actually my 11yo daughter and I are learning together, so the threads geared toward kids will help too!
Whistle wannabe
terrilwest

Post by terrilwest »

Oh if only my middle finger were the same length as the other two . . . that is my biggest problem, I;ve noticed.

Still practicing! :)
Whistle wannabe
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

terrilwest wrote:Oh if only my middle finger were the same length as the other two . . . that is my biggest problem, I;ve noticed.

Still practicing! :)
I would hope this is most people's problem! :D What can happen is, the middle finger gets arched a little more than the index and ring fingers, which is perfectly fine so long as you're not using the tips, but the pads as mentioned before.

The death grip can make practicing unpleasurable, (as well as lead to bad technique) but just try remembering to relax, go slower if you need to, you should be able to just brush your fingers off the tone holes, not have to pry them off with a crowbar.

Cheers,
Slow is smooth, smooth is fast.
fancypiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

My middle finger pad hits the hole just next to the crease for the second joint. When you relax, you can feel the hole easily.

I call this my suprano whistle grip.

On my bagpipes (and whistles low F and below), I have to use the second pads of my first and second fingers of the top hand, my third finger covers the hole with the first pad.

The bottom hand, the top 3 fingers all cover the holes with the second pad while my pinkie covers the ghost D hole.

This is my "piper's grip".

It is all a matter of relaxing your wrist and fingers and let your fingers stay comfortably flat. You need more strength in the lifting muscles than the hole closing muscles.

Close your eyes and relax...
Tucson Whistler

Re: Newbie fingering question

Post by Tucson Whistler »

terrilwest wrote:but I don't seem to cover the holes well without having a death grip on the thing!
I think that's a common problem when you first start playing. Your grip will start to relax and in just a short time you won't even think about it. Good luck and welcome to the Wonderful World of Whistling.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
iwanttotoot

Post by iwanttotoot »

When I went home for lunch today, I relaxed my grip and found that doing scales on a regular basis is going to help me hit the holes accurately as time goes by.

By relaxing as you guys suggested I had a better feel for the holes and doing scales just gives me a better feel for it as opposed to just learning pieces.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

terrilwest wrote:Oh if only my middle finger were the same length as the other two
Especially on the middle finger, it's perfectly OK to use the area between the pad and the first joint to cover the hole. That compensates for the length and helps to keep the finger straighter.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
terrilwest

Post by terrilwest »

I've been surfing YouTube today, watching different people playing whistle. I did notice Joanie Madden using the second pad on her bottom hand, middle finger a few times.

Relaxing is the hardest part for me - when I do scales only a few times, the thumb on my right hand is just killing me. Obviously still death-gripping. So that has been my main thing since joining this group - not even playing but just feeling comfortable holding the whistle and checking my finger positioning using MTguru's tips.

Thanks to all of you! I really do want to do this, so I will keep practising!
Whistle wannabe