Whistlesmith Whistle Help

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Using the first pads (not the tips, but the flat part of the first pads, some fingers close to the first bend) of the fingers is what I call the suprano grip.
boatgirl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by boatgirl »

Thanks fancypiper, I'm always interested in methods of reach as I have short fingers and am branching out with lower whistles soon. I figured it had to be a slighter piper's grip. btw and off topic here .. I got my clarke trad and thought you were nuts at first but have since come to love it - wooden piece and all.
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

boatgirl wrote:Thanks fancypiper, I'm always interested in methods of reach as I have short fingers and am branching out with lower whistles soon. I figured it had to be a slighter piper's grip.
Basically, it is just keeping my fingers straight and relaxed in both grips. My first and second fingers are slightly curved with the piper's grip as they use the second pads of my fingers.

The secret is to relax!
boatgirl wrote:btw and off topic here .. I got my clarke trad and thought you were nuts at first but have since come to love it - wooden piece and all.
Will, I know I am nuts, after all I wrestle the Irish Octopus!

I have been sitting here playing my suprano D whistles, the Clarke original design, Every whistle, my Whitetiped Generation brass tube and the Burke blacktip brass session pro.

Boy, it sure is hard to pick an overall favorite with these whistles. The Burke is probably my least favorite of the bunch. Image

My Blacktopped Generation Bb brass tube is still my favorite solo whistle, though. I never have played a better sounding whistle.
iwanttotoot

Post by iwanttotoot »

Iwanttotoot, may I suggest that next time you get a whistle that you can't cozy up to (i.e., can't get to sound right), instead of throwing it out, offer it to another whistler free of charge. I find that sometimes, a whistle that sounds awful in the hands of one player will sound pretty good when played by another. To make good music, whistler and whistle have to be able to get together musically (dare I say spiritually?), and what doesn't work for you might for someone else.
Well I believe in giving (it's an understatement with me) but I found these to be so bad that I didn't want to offer something that I thought was no good. I'm not exagerating when I say it feels like you're blowing into a barrel.

However

I rescued the high d from the trash with no ill effects. If someone wants it pm with your address. here's a link to the one I'm talking about. It's the ultra high d. I couldn't rescue the C.

http://www.whistlesmith.com/archives/ca ... istles.php
benbrad

Post by benbrad »

iwanttotoot: Check your PM's.
Ben