How to seduce with a whistle?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
ElPollo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

How to seduce with a whistle?

Post by ElPollo »

I know this girl... (Great way to start a thread, i know)

But i only know very few ITM songs.

Please share suggestions for tunes to play to her, and stories of how you used your whistle to get the love of your life. :)

(And no, i will not ask her if she wants to "blow my whistle")
Boody

Re: How to seduce with a whistle?

Post by Boody »

ElPollo wrote:
(And no, i will not ask her if she wants to "blow my whistle")

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

But on a more serious note, I would recommend some slow airs. I think any of them should sound pretty romantic. For even more romance, I would suggest Uilleann pipes if you have a spare couple thousand to spend :D.
irish69

Post by irish69 »

I've found that woman are the happiest when you aren't playing.

On that note the best way to seduce with a whistle is to destroy it in front of the gal. She'll love it :D
"Without music, life would be an error."
Friedrich Nietzsche
plunk111
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Love playing trumpet and modern flute at church as well as Irish trad flute in a band. Been playing Irish trad and 18th century period music for about 15 years.

Post by plunk111 »

"Down by the Sally Gardens" and "Foggy Dew" are slow and sexy (and easy to play as well) - good luck!!!

Pat
Pat Plunkett, Wheeling, WV
peeplj

Post by peeplj »

If she has blonde hair, you might try Cailin Na Gruaige Baine.

Or, write her a melody yourself.

I did thatfor a girl once.

I married her. :D

May you be as lucky in love as I have been!

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker.

no whistle.... or very small quantity of it.
Our musical passions are unfathomable
to those we would impress, in my experience.
Trixle

Post by Trixle »

irish69 wrote:I've found that woman are the happiest when you aren't playing.
I almost got divorced because of my whistle playing. the high notes aggravate my wife to no end. She wishes in her heart of hearts that i'd never picked up the thing, and still gives me the evil eye if i've been playing too long.

I'd first make sure the lady actually likes the sound of the whistle, either that or never play it to her before you do the serenade or what not. People who will grow to loathe the whistle are usually pretty tolerant of it the first few times they hear it. THe "ooh, that's interesting" takes a few songs to change to "oh my god i hate that annoying high pitched sound so much" in my experience.

You might get lucky though, there are a lot of ladies i hear tell of that love the whistle sound and might even want to play it themselves, good luck to that!
Last edited by Trixle on Sat Jan 19, 2008 10:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Well, rhythm, i think, if it's rhythmatic, that's the whole thing. Technique and everything comes second, i think, to the rhythm." --Mary Bergin
ElPollo

Post by ElPollo »

She's already a fan of medieval and irish music. I figure there is a good chance she'll like tunes on the whistles.

Foggy dew was one of the first tunes i learned.

About writing a tune, i might just try that. I used to write music some years ago, shouldn't be TOO hard to make some for the whistle.

Please do keep the suggestions and stories coming people. :)

(i guess the crappy jokes are welcome too :P )
Boody

Post by Boody »

Hmmm, maybe a Bb whistle? They aren't so shrill as D's so maybe she might like it more. You can get a generation Bb cheap and they are nice.

In my experience, most people I try to share music with end up appalled at all the money I spend on them and other instruments and I don't even have any of the expensive ones :)
crookedtune
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by crookedtune »

jim stone wrote:Candy is dandy but liquor is quicker.
You can drink all the liquor in Costa Ricker. It ain't nobody's business but your own! :lol:
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
Tia

Post by Tia »

I think that if she likes irish music and doenst mind the shrillness of the whislte then sure go for it, just play an air, or even a slow reel? Being a girl myself, I deffinitly woudlnt mind, providing they didnt screw up too badly :D good luck!
-Music is a magic beyond everything-
sbfluter

Post by sbfluter »

How about low whistle?

Some pretty tunes:
Aran Boat Song
Women of Ireland
Foggy Dew
Rocky Road to Dublin
Trip to Pakistan
McGivney's Fancy Hornpipe
O'Carolan tunes are always nice
Mist on the Mountain
Walls of Liscaroll

I guess I like tunes in minor keys. :)

Can't say that some guy playing them on the whistle would win me over though. You'd have to win me over some other way.

But if you were really good and could play plaintive slow airs on the low whistle, it would be a plus to whatever other good qualities you might have.
~ Diane
Flutes: Tipple D and E flutes and a Casey Burns Boxwood Rudall D flute
Whistles: Jerry Freeman Tweaked D Blackbird
nduanetesh

Post by nduanetesh »

I agree that you should not use a D whistle. I wouldn't go with any whistle higher than a C, and a mellow one at that. Lower is probably better. A quieter whistle is *definitely* better.

Also, because of the initial "ooh that's neat" reaction mentioned above, it's important that you make your first session of whistle playing a good one (with well chosen, romantic tunes)--because it will be much easier to make a strong romantic impression...and then don't let her even *see* the whistle for at least a couple of weeks. You know the old show business cliche "always leave them wanting more"? This is an excellent example of where that advice applies perfectly. When she *really* wants to hear some more whistle playing, then you can break the sucker out for another session.

And finally...I think Blind Mary is an excellent air. Also, Don Oiche Ud i mBeithil (my spell checker just exploded) is a very beautiful tune. Yeah, it's a christmas carol, but she won't know that, will she?

Good luck! and let us know how it goes.

ND
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

Here are two tunes that i think are really beautiful.

not ITM, but still very pretty on a whistle
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
ElPollo

Post by ElPollo »

I ordered a "Viper" a few days ago and wait (im)patiently for it to arrive. (Unfortunatly, I couldn't afford a Resonance.) When that happens i need to practice the grip and the tunes i already know, then i'll be trying to learn some of the suggestions posted in this thread.

She do know i play the whistle, but haven't heard much. (Mainly because i don't consider myself good enough for other people to hear, yet... working on getting better though) And i don't think she has heard a live low d yet.

Thanks for all the help so far. And don't you curious Basmatis worry, i'll post an update when i have one. :lol: