Carbony whistle tour

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
fancypiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by fancypiper »

Am I too late to sign up for the tour?

Phil Sexton
245 Independence Road
Apartment 5
Sparta, NC 28675
email: philsexton at skybest.com
Phone: 336-372-6132
Last edited by fancypiper on Mon Mar 10, 2008 1:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

I just got the hi D.

Interesting.

Its certainly not a sweetone. :)

I would have liked to see it have its own fipple.

Its not tunable as far as I can tell... I'll try to put a little hot water to it.

I'll ring it out some and take it to a few sessions.

Its not very loud though.

Anyone know where the low D is?

Peri
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
wvwhistler
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by wvwhistler »

medit8b1 wrote:Just got the low D, will try to have it back in the mail this coming weekend! Will post a review on my site asap.

Thanks
Kevin
So where is the low D going to now Kevin?
"We are all in the gutter, but some of us are looking at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
"All the world's a stage, and most of us are desperately unrehearsed." - Sean O'Casey
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

It's been busy around my house. Always a lot of shows around St. Patrick's.

But I feel I have to to post a few lines in way of a review when someone is kind enough to send a whistle out on tour.

First, this is a very nice looking whistle. Flawlessly made with a nice texture that lets the light dance over it when up close. As you would expect, it's very light and it has a great feel. No slippery fingers here! (You can get some idea of the texture at http://www.amazon.com/RG-Mackenzie-CWD- ... B001037U1S if you click on the enlargement.)

Sound? No surprises here. I did a side by side comparison with a Clarke Meg and the dimensions and hole placement are all exactly the same. Since the mouthpiece is from a Meg or Sweetone that's pretty much what you get. If you like a Meg, you should like this whistle.

Oh, there are some differences. I went back and forth from the Meg and the Carbony to be sure. The Carbony has a slightly richer sound with subtle harmonic differences. It's a little louder - I suspect the lack of a rib on the inside gives it a little more volume.

So if you want the ultimate Sweetone/Meg, this is the ticket. Personally, I like the sound, but it's not at the top of my list. My under $5 Meg is good enough for now. However, I am toying with the idea of buying just the body and sending it to Mack Hoover for a Blacktop head. That could be a real winner.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

wvwhistler wrote:
medit8b1 wrote:Just got the low D, will try to have it back in the mail this coming weekend! Will post a review on my site asap.

Thanks
Kevin
So where is the low D going to now Kevin?
I am very, very sorry that I have held onto this so long. :oops: I have been in and out of the hospital all of febuary with kidney stones, and have been down with the flu for the last week. Still I feel terrible (menatlly and physically) for holding things up. I WILL get it in the mail on Monday. It is going to Dennis in Michigan.
Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com
Nanohedron
Moderatorer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Been a fluter, citternist, and uilleann piper; committed now to the way of the harp.

Oh, yeah: also a mod here, not a spammer. A matter of opinion, perhaps.

Re: it actually is tunable

Post by Nanohedron »

robgandara wrote:it actually is tuneable there is no adhesive holding the mouthpiece on... a little warm water on the mouthpiece should loosen it up. the models I am building now have a dab of burts bees lip balm around the top to ease tuning.

Rob
That's good to hear. I gave the head a tug and it seemed solidly locked in place at the time.
"If you take music out of this world, you will have nothing but a ball of fire." - Balochi musician
swizzlestick

Re: it actually is tunable

Post by swizzlestick »

Nanohedron wrote:
robgandara wrote:it actually is tuneable there is no adhesive holding the mouthpiece on... a little warm water on the mouthpiece should loosen it up. the models I am building now have a dab of burts bees lip balm around the top to ease tuning.

Rob
That's good to hear. I gave the head a tug and it seemed solidly locked in place at the time.
I did try to get it off with hot water. It's on tight! Since I was afraid of damaging the head, I just gave up.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

The low whistle is on it's way to the next person on the list as promised! You can see my review of it here:

http://pipersgrip.50webs.com/CarbonyD.html

I apologize again for holding on to it for so long!
Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com
NorthWind

Post by NorthWind »

The low D came in today's mail. The mailing box was badly battered, but the whistle looks fine.

I didn't expect to see this whistle as I had asked to be removed from the tour. However, I'm now glad I have the chance to try it. It's a very attractive looking whistle. I'll plan to test it out over the weekend.

Rob, please let me know who is next on the list.

Thanks......Dennis
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

Just so everyone knows I still have the high D.

I'll be sending it on its way this coming Monday.

I want to let some of the San Diego gang get a toot on this Sunday.
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

OK, I had my toot, thanks to Aanvil. I'd say that swizzlestick pretty well nails it. As an objet d'art, the carbon tube is techie cool and well-made. As a whistle ... it's a Sweetone. That's basically all one needs to know.

Honestly, I think the Sweetone is an very odd choice of model. I'd be much more interested if just the carbon tube were available separately in a standard 1/2 inch OD cylindrical format, that I could then mate with any one of my favorite 1/2 inch whistle heads from a wide range of different makers - Generation, Feadóg, Walton, Oak, Hoover, etc. That would make more sense to me, and might be worth the extra cost.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

MTGuru wrote:I'd be much more interested if just the carbon tube were available separately in a standard 1/2 inch OD cylindrical format, that I could then mate with any one of my favorite 1/2 inch whistle heads from a wide range of different makers - Generation, Feadóg, Walton, Oak, Hoover, etc. That would make more sense to me, and might be worth the extra cost.
I am sure you are talking about a pre-drilled whistle body, right? If you don't mind the DIY route though, carbon fiber tubing is available in a variety of sizes. Just look for carbon fiber kite spars. I have not gotten around to trying it myself. It's on the list but not near the top.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Yes, that's right, on behalf of the DIY challenged :-). I don't have a proper drill setup or Dremel anyway. But I'd be interested in the results of your experiment if you do get around to trying it.

To cut Rob G. some slack ... His tube obviously entails a good deal of manufacturing craft, and is quite nice-looking. I imagine that a cylindrical tube would be even easier to make, and might have a broader appeal for klutzes like me.
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
eskin

Post by eskin »

I gave it a toot yesterday as well... Looked cool but left me feeling, well, meh...
highwood
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by highwood »

I imagine that a cylindrical tube would be even easier to make, and might have a broader appeal for klutzes like me.
Maybe not, I've always wondered if the conical Sweetone was partly made conically to facilitate removing the tube from a mandrel - easier to get off since as soon as it is moved a little there is a gap between the tube and the mandrel. Just a thought I have no sources to back me up. Removing a carbon fiber tube from a conical mandrel would be easier than from a straight tube I would think as well.

Bill