New Sweethearts and a Name Poll [Commercial Content]

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.

What to name the two types of new whistle

Pro Mellow, Pro Plus
61%
Si Bheag, Si Mhor
39%

Total votes: 46

ElPollo
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by ElPollo »

Strom wrote:I may be going out on a limb here, but if the bolder one is going to be the Pro Plus why not name the softer one the Pro Minus.
Very simple answer

If offered 2 alike items, would you buy the one named plus or the one named minus??

Basicly you don't want anything with a negative meaning in a name for a product you want to sell. (Unless its function is to remove something in/from your life)
riverman

Post by riverman »

Two whistles is a good idea. Not everyone will play with a session or want to. I like not rattling my neighbor's windows.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
Strom

Post by Strom »

Very simple answer

If offered 2 alike items, would you buy the one named plus or the one named minus??

Basicly you don't want anything with a negative meaning in a name for a product you want to sell. (Unless its function is to remove something in/from your life)
Although I do see your point :oops: , I do think that if we just veiw Plus as meaning bolder and Minus as being softer that it wouln't be veiwed as negative only descriptive :D
Eric
"Audemus Jura Nostra Defendere"
ElPollo

Post by ElPollo »

WE would, because we know about it.

But players not into the naming, won't know, and therefore will be most likely to by the plus, no matter what.

I still hope for the multiple parts that you combine yourself idea, as this really opens for different possibilities. (Like buying 2 different heads and 3 bodies, with the last body being a spare (just an example))
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

ElPollo wrote:WE would, because we know about it.

But players not into the naming, won't know, and therefore will be most likely to by the plus, no matter what.
Strom,

Vixen and Muse, for example, bring about certain visions, emotions, and ideas. Plus and Minus do as well. While Muse has a connotation of dreamy, soft, and inspiring, Minus has a connotation of lacking, ineffective, something is missing.

Vixen and Muse don't seem to have interest here, but the idea should be applied to whatever is chosen. The name should evoke the ethos of the whistle.
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
NorthWind

Post by NorthWind »

Even though one of the two names has probably been selected, my vote is for Sweetheart Pro Session and Sweetheart Pro Mellow. These names fully describe the playing characteristics of the whistle, and because it is a Sweetheart Pro, folks will know it is a high quality professional grade whistle.
Lyn D

Post by Lyn D »

I agree with Northwind.

Also, the "Plus", to me, kind of implies that this whistle is a higher level of quality, in some way, than the Mellow.

My original names were the Sweetheart Pro Session and the Sweetheart
Pro Mellow. These are still my choises. The names make them sound equal in quality, but each having their own characteristics.

Lyn
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

The more I think about it, the more I like Muse. :) If Walt doesn't name a Sweetheart that, could some other whistle maker pick it up? It just sounds so cool!

Do you think you could play it?
I don't know. Let me go get my Muse.

Where did Jim go?
He went to get his Muse.

:) OK... I'm done.
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen
cavefish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

when will these be available
Whitmores75087

Post by Whitmores75087 »

Si Beag Si Mor has been so overdone as a tune! Cute idea, but I'd pass on it as a name for whistles. Guido used "Stout" and "Larger". I doubt those are copyrighted.
Short bio: 1952-
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Sweetheart alert!!!! The new models have debuted!!! (Is that a word?) :party:

http://www.sweetheartflute.com/whistles.html
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
pipersgrip

Post by pipersgrip »

wow, cant wait to try one. i love Sweetheart whistles.
"In prayer, it is better to have a heart without words, than words without a heart." John Bunyan
Lyn D

Post by Lyn D »

Hi all,

I had the pleasure of trying the new "Pro-Mellow" and the "Pro-Plus" whistles yesterday. It's really great living only 15 minutes away from the Sweets. :) You can read all about them now, on the Sweetheart website. The woodgrain is pretty and they are very lightweight. The transition from first to second octave is nice and smooth, and the second octave is sweet, not shrill. The "Pro-Mellow" is a little quieter than the "Pro-Plus". Being more quiet, I found the tonic note to be sensitive, and I overblew it easily, but I tend to do that on quiet whistles. Someone else may do fine with it. It could even be just getting used to a new whistle, and how to treat it. Being a little louder, the "Pro-Plus"' tonic note is nice and solid, my preference. I have an older "Sweetheart Killourhy" whistle in Blackwood, which is loud in the second octave, so I thought I'd like the "Pro-Mellow", but I loved the "Pro-Plus" best. The volume was about the same as the Killourhy, but the second octave was much more focused and sweet.

Don't forget that I am only describing my experience with them. Someone else could have a different experience. So, to know any more about them, I guess you'll just have to get one, or try one, if you're fortunate enough, (thank you Ralph and Joseph for the opportunity) and see for yourself.

Lyn
DoOrDoNotNoTry

Anyone else who has tried the "Pro-Mellow"?

Post by DoOrDoNotNoTry »

Thanks for the review Lyn D. I'm seriously considering buying one. Anyone else out there had a go at the new "Pro-Mellow"?

Thanks.
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

KatieBell...

Every time I whistle, I Muse. Go A-Musing, as it were.

And I'm James, by the way...
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?