Other gotta-have keys for whistles?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
In The Woods
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Other gotta-have keys for whistles?

Post by In The Woods »

I'm sure this one has been answered before, but I can't find the thread. What other keys in whistles besides D would you all recommend for playing in other keys in a session? I have, of course, the obligatory D, but I was wondering what else would be useful. :-?

Thanks for all who reply.

With best regards,

Steve Mack
Ring the bells that still can ring.
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything.
That's how the light get's in.

Leonard Cohen
FJohnSharp
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I used to be a regular then I took up the bassoon. Bassoons don't have a lot of chiff. Not really, I have always been a drummer, and my C&F years were when I was a little tired of the drums. Now I'm back playing drums. I mist the C&F years, though.

Post by FJohnSharp »

I sometimes use an A in session.
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

I think C is often crucial. You have one or two #´s on a D whistle (F# and C# is done easily too) - and you can do the rest by half-holing, if neccesary.

There is a problem with tunes in C though, as you will miss deep C note, and there is F instead of F#. Many tunes are in C, so I´d suggest buying one first.
Lyn D

Post by Lyn D »

You're off to a good start with the D whistle. It plays the keys of D, G, and A. Most, or at least a good part of Irish tunes are in these keys. If you play other music, as in church or elsewhere, you can get keys to suit your preference.
The D whistle plays in the keys of: D, G A
" C " plays : C, F, G
" E " plays : E, A, B
" Eflat plays : Eflat, Aflat, Bflat
" F plays : F, Bflat, C
" G plays : G, C, D

So, you can see that you'd be able to play all the regular keys with just three whistles, C, a D and an E. If you get into flat or sharp keys, then you can get or order those whistles. Hope this helps.

Lyn
jim stone

Post by jim stone »

A is helpful, cause it gives you a very useful D scale.

G is helpful: it enables you to play in C using
the G fingering on a D whistle. If you're accompanying
singers or other instruments. Also G. I find it more
useful for playing in C than a C whistle.

Also the voice of these whistles is beautiful.

A lot of music I play isn't ITM, however.

Bb is nice to tootle in.
IDAwHOa
Tell us something.: I play whistles. I sell whistles. This seems just a BIT excessive to the cause. A sentence or two is WAY less than 100 characters.

Post by IDAwHOa »

The first question you should ask yourself is how often you will be playing your whistle with others that will not or cannot change their key to D.

If that is never or very rarely then you probably have the only whistle you will ever need. :o

Why, because of the miracle of the whistle. You have a D and the tune is written in A. If you finger the D as if you have an A whistle ( XXX XXX = A) the whistle will automatically transpose it to D for you. What if the tune has a note that goes below A (F# or G#)? Pretend you have a E whistle and use the "Cnat" fingering for the D# to flatten it 1/2 step to D. This is the same trick for playing G on a D whislte.

I have done this for every key and it works fine. Some keys are easier to mentally keep track of, but all are possible.

Have fun!
Steven - IDAwHOa - Wood Rocks

"If you keep asking questions.... You keep getting answers." - Miss Frizzle - The Magic School Bus
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

In the session, I use:
D for most stuff obviously
A for The Bear/Beare Island Reel
G for Tam Lin
E for Foxhunter's Reel
C for Julia Delaney
The Dawn crops up in A or G, and I use the appropriate whistle so as to be able to hit that bottom note, A or G.
You can see from my list that on those fiddle tunes that go down to G or A, I prefer playing them on a low whistle and play the entire range of the tune, rather than to play them on a D whistle and jump the octaves all around.
Last edited by pancelticpiper on Sun Oct 14, 2007 8:38 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tim2723

Post by Tim2723 »

There's also the need sometimes to accomodate a singer in an 'unusual' key. But unless that's a requirement for you I wouldn't worry over it. If it becomes important, you can always add whisltes as needed.
The crwth will set you free!

Tim Smith
Kindred Spirit
www.kspirit.info
vomitbunny

Post by vomitbunny »

Besides the D, I use a C once every blue moon, and used an F once. I figured I would get some use out of the E I picked up ,but havn't.
My opinion is stupid and wrong.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Get a B-natural whistle.

Then, when L.E. McCullough's master plan finally comes to fruition, you'll be all set.

http://chiffboard.mati.ca/viewtopic.php ... sc&start=0

:)

B-natural Susato's are amazingly good.
I've got a B-natural Humphrey whistle on the way...I'll let you know how it is when it gets here.

-Brett
PallasAthena

Post by PallasAthena »

I've seen a number of tunes written in C.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

I have, of course, the obligatory D, but I was wondering what else would be useful.
I think the answer to this question is a simple one. You only need a whistle that plays in the keys you encounter in your playing. It's all driven buy what and where you play. There are three reasons to get additional keys that make sense to me.

If you play sessions where tunes are regularly set in keys other than D and G and you want play along buy the keys that you encounter the most or for the tunes you like the most. As others have said D, C, A and G whistles will get you very far. Or you could just sit out those tunes and wet your whistle, so to speak.

There are many reordings that you may want to play along with in the key presented in that recording. Once again buy what you encounter most frequently or the keys for the tunes you like the most. Lunasa like to play those low F whistles, don't you know. Now, if learning the tune played in Eb on a recording is really what you want to do, you have two options besides buying another whistle. You can use software to shift the pitch of the recording down to D. There are many products that do this. Or you can search for the ABCs/dots which will likely be in D/G but if they are in another key just transpose to the key of D. Again, software can help with transposing if it hurts your head to do this the old fasioned way.

If you accompany singers or play regularly in a group you will need whistles in various keys. Again, buy the key you encounter most frequently first.

I only take a high D whistle to sessions or workshops - along with a D flute, usually keyless. You can travel far and not need another whistle beyond a high D. YMMV.

That said I have whistle in every key except C#, F# and Ab; I'll make those keys myself if I ever need them.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.
walrii

Post by walrii »

Feadoggie wrote:You only need a whistle that plays in the keys you encounter in your playing.
WhOA there, Feadoggie. What ever happened to needing a whistle because you NEED a whistle? What about needing an excuse for NEEDING a whistle?

To answer your real question, In the Woods, you NEED whatever keys you NEED!
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Feadoggie

Post by Feadoggie »

Walrii,
you NEED whatever keys you NEED!
I could have used fewer words but isn't that what I said? You need what you need. "Wanting" is another matter altogether. :)

And, as I admitted I have whistles in just about every key. Oh, I do have a low C# I overlooked. I just happens, doesn't it? You put two D whistles in your bag and the next time you look, there's a little high G, then an Eb. You can't keep them from multiplying. You know, there's no end to it really.

Feadoggie
I've proven who I am so many times, the magnetic strips worn thin.