strong bottom end on a high D.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lance_Wallen

strong bottom end on a high D.

Post by Lance_Wallen »

I've been poking about for a while now and I think, after trying a few whistles that I've got my taste down...

I can't quite find the feedback I'm looking for via searches but I suck at searching forums so I apologize in advance if this is covered ad infinitum elsewhere.

I'm looking for these specific characteristics.

Strong, high volume lower octave.
Have to push to hit the upper octave. (I hate squeeking and I can play past honking)
fairly in tune without a lot of breath gymnastics.
Overall high volume.
Back pressure.

Tone wise I prefer mellower towns and more 'sweet' sounding instruments when it comes to whistles, I know its not the "norm" as far as traditional music but it's my preference.

Syn springs to mind from reading elsewhere but I've heard conflicts on the volume and the strong bottom end, obviously susato for the volume but I can't find much on how it works as far as octave jumping. I play saxophone so breath isn't a problem here and I LOVE backpressure because it makes my breath last longer since I'm used to reeded instruments.

Looks don't matter a whole lot and price.. well, it matters, I'd obviously prefer to pay 3 dollars for the perfect whistle but that ain't gonna happen so lets pretend it doesnt matter and I'll save up if my 'perfect whistle' happens to be really expensive.

Also, tunable would be a HUGE perk but worst case, I can make my band mates tune off me... actually, considering they play mandolins and guitars it'll be funny having to make them tune 6-8 strings off me because I can't pull a mouthpiece around lol.

god i hope they don't read these boards.
I'm posting on the internets!
dfernandez77
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

I would have recommended an Overton, then you said "'sweet' sounding." Overtons have a nice voice - but I wouldn't call it sweet.

Reyburns have a good solid bottom end. The tone is very nice with good power when needed - again, not exactly sweet.

A Hudson Wind, a Burke Session Aluminum, or a Sweetheart Pro would be really close, except you want back pressure.

An O'Brien Narrow Bore Brass might do you well. It has most of what you want and the voice is a bit sweet - but not a lot of volume. It may need some sound support depending on your band-mates. I think it comes close enough to meeting some of all your requirements, and it's a good price too.

Good hunting,
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

You might want to check out Thornton whistles made by Tommy Martin (Tompipes on this forum). I recently got a C/D set that I really like it a lot. Low notes are strong and clear, high notes take a bit of air but not so much that you have to struggle for them. It has a very, very pretty mellow tone. At $85 it's hard to beat. They also look cool, which is just an added bonus.

http://www.thorntonwhistles.info/index. ... 3372888714

My other choice is a Hudson Winds whistle. Also has great low notes and nice clear high notes. Very sweet and pure, not chirpy or raspy at all. Conical bore which I think is kinda cool.

http://www.hudsonwinds.com/index.html

I don't know the technical terms, so I hope what I wrote makes sense to you.
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

I think Overtons have all the things you want in ample supply, except the sweet tone (it´s difficult to find sweet sounding loud whistle) - but I think you can definitely write to Colin Goldie and ask him, if he could make sweet sounding whistle. He makes tunable whistles too.

Rather loud and rather sweet is Burke session, but it sort of lacks something in other categories I´d say.
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I know that this is oversimplifying things, but it seems that there are two main approaches to whistle design. The Overton style with high backpressure and a complex/musty tone, and the style perhaps best personified by the Burke with minimal backpressure and a clear sweet round tone. I myself haven't played a whistle which combines high backpressure and a sweet tone.
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Agree that Overton meets your criteria.

Also the O'Brien brass narrow bore. It's got a low D you can really push without it breaking.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
colomon
Tell us something.: Whistle player, aspiring C#/D accordion and flute player, and aspiring tunesmith. Particularly interested in the music of South Sligo and Newfoundland. Inspired by the music of Peter Horan, Fred Finn, Rufus Guinchard, Emile Benoit, and Liz Carroll.

I've got some compositions up at http://www.harmonyware.com/tunes/SolsTunes.html

Re: strong bottom end on a high D.

Post by colomon »

Lance_Wallen wrote:obviously susato for the volume but I can't find much on how it works as far as octave jumping.
Susato is pretty much exactly what you are looking for, except the sound isn't pure and sweet, but has a bit of chiff to its sound. Since it's affordable and readily available, it's probably worth trying.

What you're describing sounds exactly like an O'Riordan Traveller, but those are a bit hard to come by these days....
Sol's Tunes (new tune 2/2020)
Lyn D

Post by Lyn D »

I have a Burke, tuneable, brass high D session. It has a good solid bell note, can be played softly or loud, and is really mellow and sweet. You have to push a little more starting around a in the 2nd octave. When I want to play more refined and sweet, this is the whistle I use. The other joy of my life is my Sweetheart Kilhoury blackwood whistle. This one is louder than my Burke but not really sweet. It seems like if you have sweet, you sacrifice loud, and vice versa. I don't know if there is a whistle that is both sweet and really loud. If you find one, let us know.
Good luck.

Lyn
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

pancelticpiper wrote:I myself haven't played a whistle which combines high backpressure and a sweet tone.
I think you've landed on the fulcrum on which Lance's larger conundrum turns.

We all look for a combination of different characteristics when picking a whistle. And I don't make whistles, but I imagine a sweet whistle with high back-pressure would probably have a lot of wind noise too.
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
twistedfingers

Post by twistedfingers »

Lance_Wallen wrote:I've been poking about for a while now and I think, after trying a few whistles that I've got my taste down...

I can't quite find the feedback I'm looking for via searches but I suck at searching forums so I apologize in advance if this is covered ad infinitum elsewhere.

I'm looking for these specific characteristics.

Have to push to hit the upper octave. (I hate squeeking and I can play past honking)
Overall high volume.
Back pressure.
Hhmmm.... Tough checklist there, especially adding sweet, as sweet sounding could infer a low volume, but I think I know what you mean. :)

For a good combination of the above I'd go for a Chieftain Mezzo D. It has the fullest sounding lower octave of any whistle I've owned or heard (not 'sweet' but not to 'chiffy' either) oh and very loud too :boggle:
Have to push the upper octave - Yes and then some...
No danger of shifting octaves without setting your mind to it.
fairly in tune without a lot of breath gymnastics. No problems for me there.
Overall high volume. Yep, did I say loud before. VERY loud!
Back pressure.- I guess so as the upper octave takes some pushing but I would say that it does take a lot of air at the same because of the volume. ( Are back pressure and volume mutually exclusive?)

In a nutshell I love my Cheiftain but use it sparingly as it is not the most sociable of whistles. Lovely strong sound with volume in spades. If I took it to a session (even a large one) everyone would come back the next week with amps. Have settled more now for a Burke DASBT for the best combination of the attributes you are looking for IMHO :)
Andy
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

What you're describing sounds quite a bit like my O'Brien copper C/D set, except it has a little chiff to it. But overall, the tone is pretty sweet. I haven't tried his narrow bore brass though.

Jason
Lance_Wallen

Post by Lance_Wallen »

First, thank you all for the feedback!

Second, the sweet tone isn't so much a requirement as a personal preference. I like the other complex and chiffy tones as well and they'll probably serve me better in the capacity I'm going to be using this whistle so.. the feedback is very useful.
Lance_Wallen

Post by Lance_Wallen »

sorry hit post too soon.

I'm guessing from the above that my best bets would be overton, obrian, and susato.

I'll probably check out a susato first since I've been told to try one multiple times now.

I'm also about to start making pvc whistles so who knows maybe I'll be able make something I like in pvc then duplicate it in wood or metal.
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

I would look at Overton and Reyburn; however, if you find a Water Weasel, I believe it will meet your criteria. My Water Weasel is sweet in the top end, plus has the solid bottom and a loud bell tone. Good luck. Cyril.
Bretton
Tell us something.: I've been playing whistle for a very long time, but never seem to get any better than I was about 10 years ago. I'm okay with that. :)

Post by Bretton »

Lance_Wallen wrote: I'm looking for these specific characteristics.

Overall high volume.
Back pressure.

Tone wise I prefer mellower towns and more 'sweet' sounding instruments when it comes to whistles, I know its not the "norm" as far as traditional music but it's my preference.
It's going to be tough to find something that meets your characteristics AND is sweet and mellow... Strong lower octave, high volume, and back pressure usually don't lend themselves to sweet and mellow.

If you find a whistle like that, let me know!!!...I want one.

-Brett