strong bottom end on a high D.

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Tucson Whistler
antispam: No

Re: strong bottom end on a high D.

Post by Tucson Whistler »

Bretton wrote: It's going to be tough to find something that meets your characteristics AND is sweet and mellow... Strong lower octave, high volume, and back pressure usually don't lend themselves to sweet and mellow.
OK, stupid question. I'm still trying to learn the terminology, sorry. What is back pressure?
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
peeplj
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by peeplj »

Back-pressure is the force with which you have to blow to sound the whistle; the harder you must push the air, the higher the back-pressure.

A related term is resistance, which is the amount of air the whistle takes. The more air, the less resistance.

--James
http://www.flutesite.com

-------
"Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new ending" --Carl Bard
Wanderer
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I've like been here forever ;)
But I guess you gotta filter out the spambots.
100 characters? Geeze.

Post by Wanderer »

I've run into a number of older-model Ralph Sweet (Sweetheart) wooden whistles that fit these criteria..
│& ¼║: ♪♪♫♪ ♫♪♫♪ :║
Tucson Whistler

Post by Tucson Whistler »

Ok, now that I understand. thanks :)
"Life is far too important to be taken seriously"
~Oscar Wilde
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

you need to just try whistles -----------------your qualities could - be different than someone elses--------------most tin whistlers have tried many different whistles it is a hit and miss thing-----------
Pyroh

Post by Pyroh »

Lance: By the way, you can check this site: http://www.micksvirtualwhistle.net/whistle/index.html

for various whistles Mick is a great player and he´s able to record the sound very well.

Overton D can be heard/seen here: http://uk.youtube.com/user/Pyro8 - but I haven´t got so good mic.

Breton breeze on Mick´s site is played on Overton F, and it´s sound is very similar to mine, when I play live.
The Weekenders

Post by The Weekenders »

Reyburn.
How do you prepare for the end of the world?
dfernandez77
Tell us something.: So, please write a little about why you are interested. We're just looking for something that will make it clear to us, when we read it, why you are registering and that you know what this forum is all about.

Post by dfernandez77 »

Lance_Wallen wrote:Second, the sweet tone isn't so much a requirement as a personal preference.
Then the Reyburn C/D set or a Goldie Overton are the ticket. And both Ronaldo and Colin will work with you to get as close as they can to the sound you want.

Have fun,
Daniel

It's my opinion - highly regarded (and sometimes not) by me. Peace y'all.
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

cavefish wrote:you need to just try whistles -----------------your qualities could - be different than someone elses--------------most tin whistlers have tried many different whistles it is a hit and miss thing-----------
Yes. The requirements have been stated qualitatively, which are subject to a great deal of [mis]interpretation. Furthermore, they are quite possibly self-conflicting, e.g., sweet and high volume; "Have to push...without a lot of breath gymnastics." Nothing wrong with that except for the broad range of responses it tends to illicit. There's also that ubiquitous problem of focusing on or blaming the instrument rather than adapting to it, which leads to an endless search for a better whistle. :oops:
Jon-M

Post by Jon-M »

I think you're looking for a Copeland IF you can find one that is in tune; I bought two that were markedly sharp above high G, but the ones I've played that were in tune were unrivaled in the areas you describe; beautifully strong bell tone, great volume and just overall magnificent whistles.
Lance_Wallen

Post by Lance_Wallen »

I'll simplify ;)

The have to push for the second octave means you have to push to hit it, it doesn't jump up there on its own real easy (i.e. it has a strong bottom end), what I mean by breath gymnastics is that between notes I don't want to have to constantly change air pressure (outside the expected norm) to keep the whistle in tune with itself, I've played a few whistles and some of them I'd have to really focus on what I was doing on each note to keep them all in tune. Then I've played whistles that are pretty much in tune with what you would consider normal attack and continuance of pressure while playing.

The bare min that i need is a whistle that has a strong high volume bottom end, requires you to consciously push to hit the upper register, and has a tendancy to play in tune. I'd rather work for the upper octave and work to push the whistle out of tune than have to work to keep it low and work to keep it in tune.

as for tone, ultimately its MY preference, but this is a whistle for performing and frankly, we're a rough sounding group anyway so it doesnt matter as long as its not terribly shrill in the high g-b range, I'll get myself a sweet little wooden whistle to play for my own sake and my wife's sanity (since it'll probably be quieter!). So tone wise, don't care as long as it's not horribly shrill.

The most important things to me are volume and the control. I want it to WANT to be in tune, I wanna push it out of tune when I need to bend a pitch and I want it to prefer its lower end because I absolutely despise squeeking when I get into a song and am tryin to play out.

I appreciate all the feedback though seriously, I probably should have worded my initial "requirements" a little better. Sorry about that.

I'm probably going to snag a susato just because but I'm still lookin for that perfect whistle for my sound requirements, I'm concerned the susato will be too shrill in my amateur hands.
I'm posting on the internets!
NorthWind

Post by NorthWind »

I purchased a Susato high D (small bore) a year and a half ago following a trip to Ireland to visit my daughter. During that trip I saw a couple rather good musicians playing this whistle, and thought I'd give one a try. It does seem to have most of the characteristics you seek, although, the Susato tone is a topic of great debate on the forum. Unfortunately I don't play it much because it is too loud for me (a problem with tinnitus) and I'm not used to pushing hard enough in the higher notes of the second octave after playing other quieter whistles. If you are looking for a slightly used Susato, let me know.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

Guinness wrote:
cavefish wrote:you need to just try whistles -----------------your qualities could - be different than someone elses--------------most tin whistlers have tried many different whistles it is a hit and miss thing-----------
Yes. The requirements have been stated qualitatively, which are subject to a great deal of [mis]interpretation. Furthermore, they are quite possibly self-conflicting, e.g., sweet and high volume; "Have to push...without a lot of breath gymnastics." Nothing wrong with that except for the broad range of responses it tends to illicit. There's also that ubiquitous problem of focusing on or blaming the instrument rather than adapting to it, which leads to an endless search for a better whistle. :oops:
wow :shock: :D-I myself , like the random results the eludium pew 38 explosive space modulator gives-------------it will perfect your high and low range with maximum efficiency
Guinness

Post by Guinness »

cavefish wrote:]wow :shock: :D-I myself , like the random results the eludium pew 38 explosive space modulator gives-------------it will perfect your high and low range with maximum efficiency
That is if you can unscrew one from a launcher whilst Marvin isn't looking. A mic and a Marshall stack set on 11 might be a good substitute.
Parkwood

Post by Parkwood »

Goldie Overton (mine has a very rich flutey sound - surprisingly so for such a high pitched instrument)

Else try a Susato (standard wide bore)