Free Low-D (The Competition)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
A-Musing
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by A-Musing »

Wyo...
Sheesh. Somebody finally took the Oh Brother bait!

Concerning the winning of this Alba..."We're in a tight spot!"
You-Me-Them-Us-IT. Anything Else?
WyoBadger
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

R--U--N--N--O--F--T.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
eedbjp
Tell us something.: Been on this forum for many years, just getting back into it agin in 2019.. Tried many flutes and whistles, but keep coming back to the fundamentals!

Post by eedbjp »

If I got the Alba, I would give my low Obrien D (a nice whistle, 3 months old) to whomever you consider the runner-up, doubling the good karma.
A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds-Emerson
MagicSailor

Post by MagicSailor »

Hi.

I read the generous offer and was going to come up with a load of very good reasons why I should have the whistle. I'd love to have a low D and it would get to travel the world on a beautiful sailboat, not only to please a limited local community, but to bring whistle music to the world.

Then I read this:
NicoMoreno wrote:You should send it to my friend, thesilverspear (on these boards). She had a low whistle, and she used it a lot, but it got left in Miltown, either by accident, or possibly due to thievery.

SNIP

She would play this whistle a lot, and would love it and hold it and call it George (if you wanted her to, I think it's a great name).
I realize I'm unworthy. Give the whistle to the girl. She needs it more than I do. I'll just keep saving to buy my own and maybe one day I'll meet her and we can play a duet on our two low D whistles.

Now, if for some reason the young lady doesn't want the whistle (who am I kidding?), then send it to me please. I will love and cherish it.

Happy Whistling

Regards,

Owen Morgan
Yacht Magic
Anchored in the lagoon, St Maarten

My new blog.
Click here for my latest reported position. (Use the satellite view.)
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

WyoBadger wrote:Oh, and did I mention...I am a Dapper Dan Man!

They loved him up and turned him into a frawg!!!!!!!! :boggle:
NorthWind

Post by NorthWind »

The winds in the Upper Peninsula woods sing with the echoes of Native American whistles and drums, the songs of French trappers, and lilting melodies played by Irish, Cornish, Scottish, Italian, and other settlers. The woods themselves make music of their own, as rustling leaves whisper a melody and birds, wildlife, and insects add accent and harmony.
Michigan, land of lakes, streams, woods, and the intermingled music of nature and thousands of immigrants from dozens of homelands, is a good home for special musical instruments.

I live in the U.P., where every summer for the past 29 years, musicians and music lovers gather on the last full weekend in July at the Hiawatha Traditional Music Fest, to simply enjoy and share wonderful music and musical fellowship. This is where I would bring and share my Low D whistle.

And I would play it beside tripping waterfalls and serene sunlit lakes, and in still winter woods, where the sonorous notes would fill the brittle air with life. I would play along the coast of timeless Lake Superior, water so wide and grand it is like an orchestra unto itself, playing wild and tempestuous or meek and gentle as it laps the shore. I would play it at the coffee shop on Sunday nights, when locals gather informally to play traditional tunes. And I would play it at home, with delight, because the sweet music from the low D will bring cheer to my wife and children.

An Irish Whistle is such a meaningful communicator, speaking sublimely of the thoughts, desires and feelings of even a common man. A Low D whistle will speak with my lower voice, but in the musical language that all will understand.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

just give the whistle away and quit dangling it over peoples heads--------------a gift is not a gift if one has to beg for it ----------------begging BUILDS the givers ego and the gift really is not a gift at all , it becomes an ego boost of false grace and fuels the PRIDE of the giver
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

crookedtune...karma boy....Solomon-playing-a-Howard...

Gosh! I'm not the one judging this thing, and I'm exhausted, just reading through all the entries! The good...the bad...and the Reality Checks!

Good luck, Godspeed, and happy coin-tossing, in arriving at a winner!!!

I hereby rescind, withdraw, and gladly eliminate my entry into this contest. There are several others who actually deserve the Alba more than I. Maybe everybody!

The basic generosity that has driven this exercise is heartwarming..and I salute you, and the hidden benefactor.

"Where IS that happy little Low D, Everett?"
medit8b1

Post by medit8b1 »

cavefish wrote:just give the whistle away and quit dangling it over peoples heads--------------a gift is not a gift if one has to beg for it ----------------begging BUILDS the givers ego and the gift really is not a gift at all , it becomes an ego boost of false grace and fuels the PRIDE of the giver
Hey, I don't think your going to get the whistle by insulting the guy giving it away! Don't be a party pooper. If you don't like the "game", don't play. I for one am having fun, whistle or no whistle.
Long live the Low Whistle!
http://pipersgrip.50webs.com
crookedtune

Post by crookedtune »

Thanks for the support, M.
Cavefish, I'm not sure where you're coming from, and I find your comment demeaning and frustrating.

I can only hope this didn't come across that way to others. I thought we could have a bit of fun, but I guess there's always going to be someone who looks for ulterior motives. I guess I should have foreseen that.

Well, folks, I've got better stuff to do. Contest ends early. And....The winner is:
Pastorkeith.....er, Doc Jones,.......er, the children of Haiti (if it's ever possible to celebrate their good fortunes). And, to turbocharge that karma-boost, I'm throwing in a $50 personal donation to Doc's cause. (Doc, can you pm me the details?)

Thanks for all the great stories!!!
Charlie Gravel

“I am so clever that sometimes I don't understand a single word of what I am saying.”
― Oscar Wilde
A-Musing

Post by A-Musing »

crookedtune...
Well done!
And thanks for instigating the far and wide insights of the fipple gang. Good clean fun!!!
lordofthestrings

Post by lordofthestrings »

Well done indeed! Nice to see there are warm hearted people in the world.

And...uh...if anyone is giving away any more Low D's :P :P Feel free to drop me a PM :lol: :lol:
- - - Spence - - -
A little autobiography, including pictures, Here
Actually, I hate music. I'm only doing this for the money.
mutepointe

Post by mutepointe »

clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap clap
Rose tint my world. Keep me safe from my trouble and pain.
白飞梦
Trixle

Post by Trixle »

Ah, i can't complain that the orphans are getting it. Honestly, once i saw that post, I figured it was going there, but i decided to tell my story anyway in some vain attempt to disenfranchise the little children and take a few more morsels off of their table, cause i'm evil like that--
Nah, jk, i would have felt a little bad taking it after seeing that post, had i won, but i had already been working on the story and decided, what the heck, might as well finish it and share it. Great contest and thanks for the opportunity to use our imaginations :)
KatieBell

Post by KatieBell »

Trixle,

I thought your story was the very best story in the thread!
To be on a quest is nothing more or less than to become an asker of questions. -Keen