Tweaking a Clarke?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Trixle
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Tweaking a Clarke?

Post by Trixle »

Ok, i dont know much about tweaking whistles at all, barely anything, but i heard a couple of people say that they tweaked their clarke and made it require less breath, which is essentially what i'm looking for, something that sounds like a clark but has the breath requirement of my Generation, or a closer approximation thereof.

Is there anyone out there that can give me detailed instructions of going about that? I've heard some people say they did it with their thumb but wasnt totally sure of the process they're describing. Payday isnt until next week, so i'm trying not to FUBAR what i have before that, lol.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!
cavefish
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Re: Tweaking a Clarke?

Post by cavefish »

Trixle wrote:Ok, i dont know much about tweaking whistles at all, barely anything, but i heard a couple of people say that they tweaked their clarke and made it require less breath, which is essentially what i'm looking for, something that sounds like a clark but has the breath requirement of my Generation, or a closer approximation thereof.

Is there anyone out there that can give me detailed instructions of going about that? I've heard some people say they did it with their thumb but wasnt totally sure of the process they're describing. Payday isnt until next week, so i'm trying not to FUBAR what i have before that, lol.

Any help will be appreciated, thanks!
well since no one replied i will through my 2 cents in--------------i feel the clarkes are fine-------------but what i did IS soaked the wood block in oil for about a minute ------- it swells up and tightens the airgaps alittle ( it does not really matter) it softend the sound and then i make sure the airway curve is about 1 mm above the wood airway -----------look inline through the mouthpiece and you will see what i mean------other than that they seem to be the most consistant of the inexpensive whistles ------------i have seen :D
Flywhistler

Post by Flywhistler »

The Whistleshop sells a tweaked Clarke of their own design. If you go to their web site, they explain the process they go through to tweak one. It may be more involved than you want to do, but at least you can get the idea. Other than that, I'm sure there are a lot of people here that can explain how they flatten the windway. I've never done it myself.
Flywhistler

Post by Flywhistler »

The Whistleshop sells a tweaked Clarke of their own design. If you go to their web site, they explain the process they go through to tweak one. It may be more involved than you want to do, but at least you can get the idea. Other than that, I'm sure there are a lot of people here that can explain how they flatten the windway. I've never done it myself.
s1m0n
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by s1m0n »

You have more than enough breath for a clarke, barring a case of emphysema or asthma.

It's all in your head. Just play it for a while, you'll see.

It also won't hurt to learn to breathe from your diaphragm. If a 60 or 70 year old, one-lunged ex-tubercular lifetime smoker like Packie Manus Byrne can fill a Clarke, anyone can.
And now there was no doubt that the trees were really moving - moving in and out through one another as if in a complicated country dance. ('And I suppose,' thought Lucy, 'when trees dance, it must be a very, very country dance indeed.')

C.S. Lewis
WyoBadger
Tell us something.: "Tell us something" hits me a bit like someone asking me to tell a joke. I can always think of a hundred of them until someone asks me for one. You know how it is. Right now, I can't think of "something" to tell you. But I have to use at least 100 characters to inform you of that.

Post by WyoBadger »

What Simon said. Narrow windway makes the sound a bit purer, takes away some of the air out of the sound. But most clarke players like the air in the sound.

Tom
Fall down six times. Stand up seven.
Trixle

Post by Trixle »

Thanks for the responses, I will check out that website and also reconsider my desire to mess with my clarke. I think i do need to just play more and get used to the breath requirement rather than take the easy way out.

Breathing from my diaphram probably would be a good start, lol. As a guitar player, thinkin about how to breathe while playing has never been much of a consideration, except for those underwater gigs....
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

Trixle wrote:Thanks for the responses, I will check out that website and also reconsider my desire to mess with my clarke. I think i do need to just play more and get used to the breath requirement rather than take the easy way out.

Breathing from my diaphram probably would be a good start, lol. As a guitar player, thinkin about how to breathe while playing has never been much of a consideration, except for those underwater gigs....
If you can play a Clarke you can play any other whistle with ease :D
riverman

Post by riverman »

I highly recommend the tweak. This sharpens the tone, cuts down the air required, and still leaves plenty of that pleasant, airy chiff. It's so easy, even I did it, without problems.
After that, I agree with all the other threads. Add a couple more breathing spots in your tune and you're in. Sometimes I wonder why I ever bought any whistle after my Clarke.
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

I thought I didn't have enough air for a Clarke, but then I tried playing after messing around with my Bb for awhile. Since it takes more air to play the Bb, I had gotten used to the greater air requirements. Suddenly, I could play the Clarke with ease! Like s1m0n said, it's all in your head (or chest). :wink:
riverman

Post by riverman »

...but working out sometimes helps!
"Whoever comes to me I will never drive away." --Jesus Christ.