Overton low A evaluations?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
pancelticpiper
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Overton low A evaluations?

Post by pancelticpiper »

I was just looking at the Goldie/Overton site, and was amazed to see low A and low G whistles. (I mean the ones that are a fourth and a fifth below the low D.) I have "the lower, the better" kind of thinking, and was wondering if anyone out there has tried either of these, but particularly the low A. The sound, I imagine, is fantastic. What I wonder about is the finger stretch (and arm stretch). Thanks!
Steve Pribyl
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Steve Pribyl »

I have a low Bb Overton, just a half step above the Low A. The reach is really tough, but possible. I am not used to the stretch because I don't play it enough. My hands aren't particularly large, but they aren't small either. The sound is amazing. Picking up a Low D whistle after playing the Bb for awhile seems like "child's play" :)
pancelticpiper
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

I would really love to try that B flat if you can bring it by the Auld Dubliner next Sunday or some other Sunday....Thanks, Richard
Hornpiper

Post by Hornpiper »

I just sold a bass A Overton and was very sad to see it go...beautiful instrument.
Benjamin Thomas Isa Jaber
Aanvil

Post by Aanvil »

pancelticpiper wrote:I would really love to try that B flat if you can bring it by the Auld Dubliner next Sunday or some other Sunday....Thanks, Richard

Have you been going down there regularly?

I plan on going down there again this Sunday .
Aanvil

-------------------------------------------------

I am not an expert
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

Love the Bass A. Arm stretch is more an issue than finger stretch. You have to get the hand angle right, that is more important than hand size (although size helps). Not that difficult, once you get used to covering the holes. If you overdo it before you're used to it, your thumb starts hurting the next day. Amazing amazing sound. A nice side effect is that playing a low D afterwards feels like a piece of cake.
/Bloomfield
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

Yes the arm stretch thing! That's why I'm a fan of the bent Susato thing. I have the bent low C (the old, keyless model) and it's quite comfortable to play, the finger spacing being the same as low D's. It's actually my favourite whistle for slow airs. Wonder if Overton will ever go the bent route... Anyhow, thanks for the advice!
PJ
Tell us something.: ......................................................................................................

Post by PJ »

Does anyone have a sound clip of a low A that they could post or refer me to?
PJ
Bloomfield

Post by Bloomfield »

PJ wrote:Does anyone have a sound clip of a low A that they could post or refer me to?
http://www.myspace.com/brendanring

listen to Kushka's Maverick A... - I don't know whether that's a Bass A or or Bass C or Bb - but it's one of the lower ones and its an Overton.

oh, and there's this:

Brendan on low whistle
/Bloomfield
MTGuru

Post by MTGuru »

Actually, Kushka's/Maverick Angels sounds like a low (alto) F, not a bass. And the YouTube clip of Maverick Angels is a regular low (tenor) D. Those whistle keys are consistent with the transcription of Maverick Angels on thesession.org, which seems correct, and match Brendan's fingering on the vid.

But here's a vid of our fellow chiffer Hatao playing "Foggy Dew" on an Overton Bass G, with Peter Damashek on guitar:
http://www.irishflutestore.com/Hatao%20BassGWhistle.mpg
Vivat diabolus in musica! MTGuru's (old) GG Clips / Blackbird Clips

Joel Barish: Is there any risk of brain damage?
Dr. Mierzwiak: Well, technically speaking, the procedure is brain damage.
Brigitte

Post by Brigitte »

http://youtube.com/watch?v=dOw5N5JDSWg

James O'Grady playing pipes, fiddle and whistles (also Bass A) in Cara Dillon's band

Brigitte

P.S. I think the one shown is an A and not a G but James is quite tall so even this keys look not overly big when he plays them :)
Wenn die Klügeren nachgeben,
regieren die Dummköpfe die Welt.
(Jean Claude Riber)
Pekkos

Post by Pekkos »

Hi

I tried the low G wen I saw Colin in Belgium some week ago, It is really big, but I could manage the finger stretch, as long as I didn't put the fipple in my mouth... I guess it's a lovely intrument for duets :-), or I would need a piece of garden hose or someting. The sound was really nice

/Anders
pancelticpiper

Post by pancelticpiper »

That clip of Hatao was sugoi! Ikanji! You could hear not only the great tone but the very good intonation. I'm impressed by how solid the "low E" (actually A, I suppose) is. I'm going to get on the wait list for a low A for sure not.
Ted
Please enter the next number in sequence: 12

Post by Ted »

I bought the bass A Overton from Hornpiper. Great whistle. I found out immediately that my upper thumb was cramping after a short stint of playing. This was overcome by laying my fingers over the holes with the piper's grip and placing my thumb(s) in their natural position, ie. resting the whistle on the inside edge of the thumb and cradling the the whistle against the first joint, instead of bending the thumb around to rest it on the pad, as with smaller whistles. No more cramps and I was used to the new position almost immediately. I can now play for extended periods, with no discomfort. I am ready for the bass G now. :P