Review: Howard Low D (Old/New)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
Lyn D
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by Lyn D »

Does anyone know how the reach is on the Howard low D compared to the reach on the Burke low D Viper? I've tried the Viper, so I'd like to know if the Howard's reach is the same, longer, or shorter. Thanks.

Lyn
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

Lyn, this is what I had to say in a recent thread about low whistles. When I read it back, I realize that I seem to be declaring the Howard the winner, but that's not really true since I now own both and don't intend to let either go. Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to answer.
swizzlestick wrote: I was surprised to see how small a Viper can pack down when you break it down into 4 sections. Must be the most packable low D around.

Imp, I have not tried many low D whistles, but I have played a Burke Viper and a Howard back to back. The hole size and spacing on them are almost exactly the same except for the second and fifth holes counting from the top on the Howard. (A and E respectively.) These two holes are not that much larger, but they are wide enough to create saddle like dips in the tube because of the curvature. This is not a great explanation, but you will certainly understand since you play a Howard. The Burke does not have such deep indentations so the holes are a bit easier to seal. Finger stretch is actually better on the Howard -- the Burke makes you reach lower with that bottom finger

That said, I like the fact that the Howard uses a lot less air. I need to take a breath far more often with the Burke. (Keep in mind that I have asthma and my lung volume is not what it should be.)

Sound wise, both are great, but they are on opposite ends of the spectrum.
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain
The Laughing Imp

Post by The Laughing Imp »

swizzlestick wrote:Lyn, this is what I had to say in a recent thread about low whistles. When I read it back, I realize that I seem to be declaring the Howard the winner, but that's not really true since I now own both and don't intend to let either go. Let me know if you have any other questions I might be able to answer.
swizzlestick wrote: I was surprised to see how small a Viper can pack down when you break it down into 4 sections. Must be the most packable low D around.

Imp, I have not tried many low D whistles, but I have played a Burke Viper and a Howard back to back. The hole size and spacing on them are almost exactly the same except for the second and fifth holes counting from the top on the Howard. (A and E respectively.) These two holes are not that much larger, but they are wide enough to create saddle like dips in the tube because of the curvature. This is not a great explanation, but you will certainly understand since you play a Howard. The Burke does not have such deep indentations so the holes are a bit easier to seal. Finger stretch is actually better on the Howard -- the Burke makes you reach lower with that bottom finger

That said, I like the fact that the Howard uses a lot less air. I need to take a breath far more often with the Burke. (Keep in mind that I have asthma and my lung volume is not what it should be.)

Sound wise, both are great, but they are on opposite ends of the spectrum.
Wow! Which thread did you post that on? I completely missed it. That was EXACTLY the comparison I've been looking for. Thanks for reposting it.

I must admit. Something clicked last night for me and my Howard. I suddenly could play music on it at a fair clip. No squawks, squeaks, or squelches. It was finally fun. Not sure why. I'd experimented with that particular variation of the piper's grip before, but I guess I just got it last night. And here I went and prostrated myself on public forums admitting what a low D loser I was. My PM box has been filled with snide comments and insults from master low D players. Dale personally sent me a recording of himself laughing at me. I'm ashamed I tell you. Ashamed... :P
Lovin' life with my Burke DBS

Looking for a Clarke Enchanted Tinwhistle (http://is.gd/1nPK). PM me if you have one for sale...
bdh
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: I caught the trad bug listening to Liam O'Flynn. Started on whistle, then moved to pipes. Tricky Basmatis, but I love 'em.

Post by bdh »

That's great news. I had a similar experience with my Tipple flute. One day I just picked it up and could play it. Weird...
"It isn't etiquette to cut any one you've been introduced to. Remove the joint." ~ Lewis Carroll
pancelticpiper
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Playing Scottish and Irish music in California for 45 years.
These days many discussions are migrating to Facebook but I prefer the online chat forum format.

Post by pancelticpiper »

Well you guys are really making me want to go out and buy a Howard now!!! Just when I thought I had settled on a low D!
I love my Burke, but I have two issues with it 1) there's something about the wide finger spacing of the upper hand combined with the huge diameter of the thing that makes my upper hand want to become tense and 2) it does require considerably more air than the flute.
For #1 I've been practicing on relaxing my upper hand and experimenting with variations on the piper's grip, and various thumb positions including keeping the upper thumb off altogether (but then the lower thumb gets tense- maybe I need a thumbrest?)
For #2 I just take breaths more often which suits my flutish style anyhow.
So what is the volume of the Howard compared to the Burke Pro?
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Swizz, how do they compare for volume? I love my Howard, but it gets lost at session. I need something with more volume but not much more hand spread.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
swizzlestick

Post by swizzlestick »

anniemcu wrote:Swizz, how do they compare for volume? I love my Howard, but it gets lost at session. I need something with more volume but not much more hand spread.
You would think that's an easy question, but I just realized that I don't think of one as being louder than the other. In the interest of unscientific research, I asked my daughter to stand on the far side of the room while I played a few scales on each. Results? She thinks the Howard is louder and also more penetrating in the top range. (The Howard has a particularly rich and distinctive upper octave.) The Viper is a bit louder in the lower octave with an especially strong bell note. The volume is surprisingly well balanced between octaves on a Viper.

Please keep in mind that the mouthpiece on my Howard is one version back from current production. And that I don't play low whistle at session yet.

I should also note that the Viper has a greater dynamic range than I see in most whistles. You can play softly or push to get more volume and still stay reasonably in tune. You should adjust the tuning slide according to which way you normally play.

How's that for muddying the water? :lol:

Anyone who does play a Viper in session out there?
All of us contain Music & Truth, but most of us can't get it out. -- Mark Twain