Northeast Whistle gathering? (renamed)

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
brewerpaul
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Northeast Whistle gathering? (renamed)

Post by brewerpaul »

Hi all-- are people interested in another (fourth?) annual Chiff and Fipple, Northeast division summertime gathering?
Now that I'm not my own boss, I'll have to notify my hospital and make sure I'm not on call...

Past gatherings have been wonderful, and I'd urge anyone within reasonable striking distance to attend. If necessary, we could house one or two people from further afield overnight.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
azw
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by azw »

Where would you like to hold it this time?
CapnDistracto

Post by CapnDistracto »

Unfortunate circumstances last summer kept me from being able to get to the Sweet's place last summer, but I'd certainly be interested this time around with enough advance notice to get the time off from work.

-Matt
When life gives you lemons...
... Throw'em the hell back until it gives you the damn oranges you asked for in the first place.
slowair

Post by slowair »

I'm afraid I won't be available to help organize things this year. I had begun working on a place, but it feel through.

In the beginning I had envisioned having the event move around so people from one place didn't ALWAYS have to travel far.

It may be necessary for one person to take the bull by the horns and set something up and then announce where and when it will be held. Too many cooks...you know. If you go back and forth trying to decide amongst many people who's available and when, the summer will be over before everyone will be happy with a choice.

Good luck with the event and if anyone has questions about what needs to be done, please email me.

Mike
Tom Dowling
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

If there were to be any interest in having the event in New York City, I would be willing to assist in facilitating that. Space is probably available at sites ranging from Empire Fulton State Park (between the Brooklyn and Manhattan Bridges on the Brooklyn side) to Prospect Park, to the community room in our apartment building (which is right next to the Brooklyn Bridge). I suspect that more idyllic locales will come to mind than NYC in July/August, but I throw it out there for your consideration.

I'd prefer a rural site myself, but that is neither here nor there. If there is any actual interest in NYC, I would want to get on the horm to folks in the City's Department of Parks and Recreation to look into permits, etc.

Be Well,

Tom D.
RamblDoc

Where & When ?

Post by RamblDoc »

Hi All:
---I'm interested. I've attended all three of the Gatherings and hope to make it four.

WHERE TO HOLD IT ?---
This must be determined, of course. But first, I think a date has to be decided, so as to establish site availability, schedules of participants, number of party, etc.
The Sweet's place is ideal in many ways, situated so that people from NJ and Maine can make it, spacious and shaded on the banks of the cool waters of the Scantic River. Good facilities (indoor space in case of rain), tables and chairs. All at no cost to the participants thanks to the generosity of the hosts. Kinda hard to beat it.
But, there is no law that says other places wouldn't be just as nice. It will probably mean more organizing workload for somebody, though. And, it may require an admission charge for each participant, like there was at Look Park, Northhampton, at the first North East Whistle Gathering (NEWG). A different site may bring in new C&F people due to easier travel distances for them, a benefit already mentioned.

---WHEN TO HOLD IT----
In keeping with the NEWG Sunday-in-July traditions, let me get the ball rolling by suggesting the two following dates:

J U L Y 1 5, 2 0 0 7

J U L Y 2 2, 2 0 0 7

To all potential attenders; please weigh in on your preferences of date, even if it's different from the above times.

Best to all, Lloyd
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

If you notice my location is now Portland, OR my family moved out there, but I will be working outside of Philly in July and August so I will probably be able to make the gathering this year haveing attended the past two. I vote for the Sweets' place, if they want to have us of course, as it is a good place for it. But it would be a lot easier for me to travel to NYC than all the way to the Sweets. Pretty much any weekend after the second weekend in July, but I will only be around until the second or third of weekend of August.
Tom Dowling
Tell us something.: Well, I've been a contributor and visitor to this site since 2001. At one time or another, one of my photographs was the opening page photograph. My teacher was Bill Ochs. I play the Penny Whistle. Not a lot else to say.

Post by Tom Dowling »

Esteemed Fipplers:

If it becomes a 'flip of the coin' between 7/15 and 7/22, I would do some special pleading for 7/22. This observation is made in full awareness of the 'one person, one vote' doctrine. I'm just askin'. For sure, I will be out of town on 7/15. If the earlier date is the consensus date, that will just be how the melody unfolds....I'll pine but not whine.

Good Luck to us all in planning this event in the fine spirit that is typical of C & F endeavors.

Thanks,

Tom D.
Tom Dowling

A "GOOGLE EARTH" TYPE RESOLUTION OF THE LOCATION Q

Post by Tom Dowling »

It's me again.....

I recall working on a project at work that required health care providers to submit maps that plotted the concentration of their facilities within the boroughs of the City and nearby counties--a geographical distribution analysis. I was wondering if one of the many keen minds that check in here on a more or less regular basis might have access to software that could plot/identify the location that is statistically "closest to everyone likely to attend." The model could also (perhaps?) take into account the ACTUAL LIKELIHOOD (on a scale of 1 to 10, with 1 being highly unlikely and 10 being the 'metaphysical certitude that Mr. McLlaughlin speaks of on his Sunday morning TV show) of the attendance of the folks submitting their APPROXIMATE location and APPROXIMATE likelihood of attending.

It is possible that the data would speak to us in a revelatory manner. Who knows, maybe the info. would situate us in the middle of the Castkills, the Berkshires, The South Bronx, New Haven, Walden Pond, the Sloatsburg Rest Stop on the New York Thruway?

In any event, it seems like a nice challenge to some programmer out there and might serve to quantify the actual level of interest.

BYE BYE!!

Tom D.
RamblDoc

Call for Expressions of Interest

Post by RamblDoc »

ALL--CALL for Expressions of Interest

Well, we've got four people interested, so far. A good start.

Because time is getting somewhat short, how about an all-call for potential attenders. WHAT TO DO . . . . .

1. Post a reply expressing your level of interest in attending.

2. Indicate First Choice Preference of date. Even if it's different from July 22.

3. Indicate other dates agreeable to you, if possible.

4. Indicate the approximate geographical location from which you will be traveling, e.g., Brooklyn NY, seacoast NH, Garden State Parkway Exit___, and so on.

5. Indicate your preferences for location(s) of the gathering, including:
a. the maximum distance OR travel time you will consider.
b; if the Sweet's place (Conn.) is acceptable or not.

And any other information that might be helpful. Like if the Sloatsburg Rest Area ( NY Thruway) requires reservations. Half kidding. Don't laugh, it might turn out to be a very cool place to hold it !

Does everybody understand all the good reasons to come to one of these whistlefests ?
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

1. Post a reply expressing your level of interest in attending.
I'm obviously interested :wink: My wife would come too, depending on whether or not it's her weekend to work.

2. Indicate First Choice Preference of date. Even if it's different from July 22.
See above: Char works every other weekend. I could come alone, but that's not as much fun.

4. Indicate the approximate geographical location from which you will be traveling, e.g., Brooklyn NY, seacoast NH, Garden State Parkway Exit___, and so on.
NY Capital District

Sweet's is OK-- it's a really nice place. For a down and back in one day, I'd like to keep it within2.5-3 hr of Albany

And any other information that might be helpful. Like if the Sloatsburg Rest Area ( NY Thruway) requires reservations. Half kidding. Don't laugh, it might turn out to be a very cool place to hold it !

Actually, public places like that are really fun places to play. One old-time session I occasionally attend moves around and has played in the Albany Airport terminal and the Albany train station (which has terrific acoustics). Passersby LOVE it, and it generates a lot of interest in people playing live acoustic music. We could hand out leaflets about the whistle, Chiff and Fipple etc and make some converts.

Does everybody understand all the good reasons to come to one of these whistlefests ?

It's a huge amount of fun, and it's terrific to put faces to the names we all see on the forum. Without exception, everyone has been very open and welcoming and newbie-friendly.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
Unseen122
Tell us something.: Of course I'm not a bot; I've been here for years... Apparently that isn't enough to pass muster though!

Post by Unseen122 »

1. I am very interested in coming as I have the past two years.

2. July 22 is fine for me, but I haven't talked to the people I am working for. I think I could work it out though, I just have to know in advance.

3. After the seconde weekend in July and before the third weekend of August, that is when I will be on the East coast.

4. Just west of Philly. OI can easily get a train to NYC or other big places if someone is willing to pick me up from the train station and carpool the rest of the way. Tom, I will send you a PM as I know you are in the City.

5. Anything north of the Bershires in MA is probably too far for me to travel in one day. The Sweets' is fine and I have enjoyed it the past couple years.
kintailpipes

Post by kintailpipes »

--CALL for Expressions of Interest

Well, we've got four people interested, so far. A good start.

Because time is getting somewhat short, how about an all-call for potential attenders. WHAT TO DO . . . . .

1. Post a reply expressing your level of interest in attending. I am Interested!
2. Indicate First Choice Preference of date. Even if it's different from July 22. July 22 is Good

4. Indicate the approximate geographical location from which you will be traveling, e.g., Brooklyn NY, seacoast NH, Garden State Parkway Exit___, and so on. Sweets is Fine

Tyghress

Post by Tyghress »

I'm probably not up for it this year, regardless of the location, but I do wish to ask (because no one has mentioned it to me (but that really doesn't mean anything)) has anyone asked Ralph or Walt Sweet if their place is available?

Tyg
Remember, you didn't get the tiger so it would do what you wanted. You got the tiger to see what it wanted to do. -- Colin McEnroe
Tom Dowling

Post by Tom Dowling »

FIRST THINGS FIRST: Because it is a potential imposition on the legendary hositality of the Sweet Family, before their facilities are bandied about anymore, someone should contact them in this regard. Since the availability of that site is a potential limiting factor, we should probably get closer to a consensus date so that the approach to the Sweets would be more or less date specific.

The CHECKLIST: 1. Post a reply expressing your level of interest in attending: For me, the level of interest is high--quite high.

2. Indicate First Choice Preference of date. Even if it's different from July 22: Only date that I Can't make is is 7/15/07. 7/22/07 is fine with me..

3. Indicate other dates agreeable to you, if possible: Any date other than 7/15/07 works for me.

4. Indicate the approximate geographical location from which you will be traveling: I would be coming from Brooklyn, essentially next to the Brooklyn Bridge.

a. the maximum distance OR travel time you will consider: I am not opposed to a trip that requires an overnight, though 3 hours each way is a prefered max drive for me. If the distance is greater than 3.5 hours, I would consider looking for the proverbial inn or B & B and make a weekend of it.
b; if the Sweet's place (Conn.) is acceptable or not: Acceptable, but subject to someone actually asking if it is OK.

And any other information that might be helpful: There is a neat park more or less under the Brooklyn Bridge, called Empire Fulton State Park. If folks were interested in coming to NYC--which I somehow doubt, let me know and I will reach out to Parks and Recreation. As we say in Brooklyn, "I know a guy..." Bear Mountain State Park? Is there a suitable rest area on the Palisades Parkway?

My two cents,

Tom D.