Why did whistle makers miss the POTC boat?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
scottkent
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Why did whistle makers miss the POTC boat?

Post by scottkent »

OK, so the title of this topic is a pun...sorry. Anyways, why haven't any whistle makers made a "Pirates of the Carribean" whistle set? Sure it would cost a bit to make a deal with Disney, but the returns could be great. Just getting the product placement in all of the Disney pirate themed stores at the parks would be great. I guess I kinda expected Walton's or somebody to pack up a whistle with some suitable pirate tunes. Even though the opening for the movie has passed, I can't help but think that with the Pirates theme being Disney's boy oriented counter to the Princess theme the market potential is still great. I guess I was just wondering about this since the other day at Universal Studios while I was looking at stuff in the Irish store and the workers were talking about how they had sold all of the whistles they had a long time ago, and now they can't seem to get anymore. Disney does sell Feadogs in the Irish Pub store in Downtown Disney (at a premium, I might add). Just thinking out loud.
Yes I was in Baghdad...No, I didn't do it.
anniemcu
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

Because the all have too much class? Well... the ones here anyway. :)
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

OK, so what would a pirate whistle look , and sound like? Maybe the notes would come out as Ar rr r rr r ar ar ? I have had a few Waltons and Generations that went ''argale'' ''argle'' on the bell note. :lol:
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

Tommy wrote:OK, so what would a pirate whistle look , and sound like? Maybe the notes would come out as Ar rr r rr r ar ar ? I have had a few Waltons and Generations that went ''argale'' ''argle'' on the bell note. :lol:
Sailor's Hornpipe ... hmm... comes with a swab.
anniemcu
---
---
---
BillChin

Post by BillChin »

Doing business with Disney is notoriously difficult. Disney would demand almost all the profits and none of the risk. The whistle market is not that big at about a million units a year and perhaps half of that is in the United States. At a wholesale price of $3 to $7 per unit, that is a small niche for Disney to want to get involved. If a maker approached Disney, Disney would make unreasonable demands, dreaming about a bigger market than exists.

Getting shelf space in a Disney store, seems like a good idea, but in reality is next to impossible, unless someone from Disney comes up with the idea.

The Lord of the Rings series with whistle music in the movie would be another natural marketing opportunity. Same with Star Trek The Next Generation and the Inner Light episode. Again, though, the whistle market is small, and licenses to be associated to these mega properties have a large price tag.
River Otter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by River Otter »

Yeah, but what if every whistle came with a plastic sword and an eye patch? I really don't see much correlation between whistles and pirates, but who wouldn't want a plastic sword and eye patch with their whistle. I bet Burke or Busman or someone could increase their annual sales by at least . . . I don't know. . . two, if they included a plastic sword and an eye patch.
River Otter
Fortitudine Vincit
scottkent

Post by scottkent »

BillChin wrote:Doing business with Disney is notoriously difficult. Disney would demand almost all the profits and none of the risk. The whistle market is not that big at about a million units a year and perhaps half of that is in the United States. At a wholesale price of $3 to $7 per unit, that is a small niche for Disney to want to get involved. If a maker approached Disney, Disney would make unreasonable demands, dreaming about a bigger market than exists.

Getting shelf space in a Disney store, seems like a good idea, but in reality is next to impossible, unless someone from Disney comes up with the idea.

The Lord of the Rings series with whistle music in the movie would be another natural marketing opportunity. Same with Star Trek The Next Generation and the Inner Light episode. Again, though, the whistle market is small, and licenses to be associated to these mega properties have a large price tag.
I'll admit the market as is, is small. But if a cheap whistle found its way into the hands of many a lad at Disney then the market might grow. Disney has done this with the Princess line of products and released a pink recorder and song book. I imagine a couple of thousand kids learning to play Yo Ho Yo etc...would be difficult to live with but years from now those kids might see a Burke or an O'Brien and remember that cheap whistle and pick it up again. Disney has in the past been tough to deal with, but now that Eisner is gone they seem to be looking to help small businesses (even have a downtown office to assist them) and are actually getting involved in the Orlando Community again. The mouse may be trying to be a little less monolithic, believe it or not.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I for one like that the whistle community is small. I think the whistle loses much of its charm if it becomes a popular musical instrument (here in the states I mean). It may have something to do with that fact that I like (potentially) being the best whistle player in my zip code by sheer likelihood that I am the only one in my zip code.
scottkent

Post by scottkent »

River Otter wrote:Yeah, but what if every whistle came with a plastic sword and an eye patch? I really don't see much correlation between whistles and pirates, but who wouldn't want a plastic sword and eye patch with their whistle. I bet Burke or Busman or someone could increase their annual sales by at least . . . I don't know. . . two, if they included a plastic sword and an eye patch.
REALLY?!? You've never played "What Shall We Do With a Drunken Sailor" (substitute Sea-Sick for G rated events) or "All For Me Grog" on a whistle?
River Otter
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by River Otter »

Not on a whistle- but I like to sing those two after I've had a few. But now that you mention it, the whole effect of drunkenly singing All For Me Grog would be greatly enhanced by an eye patch. I'll have to get one before I head to the pub Saturday. And where is me wench, me noggin' noggin' wench? I sent her out for beer and tobacco . . .

Seriously though, I generally don't equate songs of the sea or seafaring life with pirates. I equate them with sailors. Perhaps it's because of all of the time I've spent in Patrick O'Brian novels with Capt. Aubrey and Dr. Maturin.
River Otter
Fortitudine Vincit
scottkent

Post by scottkent »

River Otter wrote:Not on a whistle- but I like to sing those two after I've had a few. But now that you mention it, the whole effect of drunkenly singing All For Me Grog would be greatly enhanced by an eye patch. I'll have to get one before I head to the pub Saturday. And where is me wench, me noggin' noggin' wench? I sent her out for beer and tobacco . . .

Seriously though, I generally don't equate songs of the sea or seafaring life with pirates. I equate them with sailors. Perhaps it's because of all of the time I've spent in Patrick O'Brian novels with Capt. Aubrey and Dr. Maturin.
I'm having a hard time imagining a River Otter with an eye patch :). But really I guess the eye patch and sword thing was part of what I was thinking. Cheap whistles with movie themes. Lots of the Pirate festivals down here have whistle players running here and there.
I guess I'm just a bit shocked that that the mass market whistles seem to miss so many chances. It's almost as though the mind set of whistle makers has become Irish Trad music only. Heck, they sell tin whistles in Jamestown with some "American" colonial music. Why not Pirates, why not a super sick shade of green with a Shrek theme? Madi-Gras themed with music for "When the Saints Go Marching In"? Why not?

I think what is really amazing me is that whistle players are turning themselves into an extreme nitch market and kids are now only discovering the whistle by accident. Seems a shame to me. I kinda wish every kid could a least be exposed to something so simple and yet so wonderfully intricate musically as a whistle. Beats listening to a recorder :D .
walrii

Post by walrii »

They sell Clarke Black Diamond whistles in the gift shop at the St. Loius Arch. I have no idea what a Clarke whistle has to do with opening the American West but they have a whole stack of them. They were about US$18 if memory serves. (My memory does serve proudly but it is now in the Reserves and only shows up for weekend drills and two weeks each summer.)
Steamwalker wrote:It may have something to do with that fact that I like (potentially) being the best whistle player in my zip code by sheer likelihood that I am the only one in my zip code.
I too am relatively certain I am the only whistler in my zip code, probably in my county. However, doesn't the term "best" imply some minimal level of competance? In short, before I can be "best" shouldn't I be "good" or, at least, "not bad"? I'd best get back to practicing.
The Walrus

What would a wild walrus whistle if a walrus could whistle wild?

The second mouse may get the cheese but the presentation leaves a lot to be desired.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

walrii wrote:They sell Clarke Black Diamond whistles in the gift shop at the St. Loius Arch. I have no idea what a Clarke whistle has to do with opening the American West but they have a whole stack of them. They were about US$18 if memory serves. (My memory does serve proudly but it is now in the Reserves and only shows up for weekend drills and two weeks each summer.)
Steamwalker wrote:It may have something to do with that fact that I like (potentially) being the best whistle player in my zip code by sheer likelihood that I am the only one in my zip code.
I too am relatively certain I am the only whistler in my zip code, probably in my county. However, doesn't the term "best" imply some minimal level of competance? In short, before I can be "best" shouldn't I be "good" or, at least, "not bad"? I'd best get back to practicing.
Between our two zip codes, I am sure you are the better whistler. :)
anniemcu

Post by anniemcu »

scottkent wrote:...
I'm having a hard time imagining a River Otter with an eye patch :). ..
Ye needs to read some Redwall, me friend.
anniemcu
---
---
---
CapnDistracto

Post by CapnDistracto »

<3 Redwall. Well, the first several of Jaques' novels before they became so bloody redundant.

As for the original topic, I am all about getting the instrument out there for other people to enjoy. I suppose the fact that I know a couple whistlers in my zip code and already know that I'm the worst of the lot makes me less anxious about expanding the population. I'm always looking to climb up from rock bottom. I've ceilinged out at a relatively low level of competency myself, just for lack of time or energy to practice, though I've been better about it of late. Despite that, I occasionally drag an Oak or Dixon with me to the occasional ren faire or county fair and play a tune just loudly enough for someone with no skill whatsoever to be impressed enough to come inflate my ego. One day I kept a sealed Meg on hand and there was a kid that was so fascinated by the thing that I asked his mother if I could offer him the Meg to play around with. Started tooting away, I showed off a quick scale and was on my way. Chances are it's in a rubbish bin or under bed, but it sure seemed to make his day. Also there's the consideration of the whole "critical period" idea for music, related to the linguistic theory showing evidence of rapid adaptation at a young age which becomes much more difficult over time. I wish someone had just tossed me a feadog instead of wasting hundreds of dollars and nine years on the clarinet.

Also, I think everyone is severely underestimating River Otter's marketing genius.

Edit: Just reread the bit about the whistle as an instrument getting "trapped" in an ITM forcefield. I think it'd be great if more places tried to figure them in, if only loosely. My first whistle was a rather dangerous looking scrap of tin with a misshapen wooden block that my parents picked out for me at Mystic Seaport for roughly five dollars. With just a fingering chart and Yankee Doodle Dandy to get me started, I figured out some of the score from a series of computer games called Monkey Island (Pirates, again!), then moved on to google and found Mick's Virtual Whistle. After that, I let ITM have me.

-Matt
When life gives you lemons...
... Throw'em the hell back until it gives you the damn oranges you asked for in the first place.