WHistle bore brushes; any suggestions?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CranberryDog
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

WHistle bore brushes; any suggestions?

Post by CranberryDog »

I am looking for some bore brushes to maintain my whistles: soprano D, mezzo A, low F, and low D. For my aluminium whistles, I am considering the type that you leave in the bore which wick moisture. Would you have any suggestions as to type and a good purchase source? Thanks in advance.
Steamwalker

Post by Steamwalker »

I went to a music store a few weeks ago looking for something similar - much like a giant Q-tip. They told me that that they don't carry them because it can be harmful to the instrument because it doesn't allow the moisture to dry since it remains in the whistle. Instead, I bought a cloth with a weighted string to clean out the bore which is what they recommended to me.
brewerpaul
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10

Post by brewerpaul »

You REALLY don't have to go nuts over maintaining whistles! Dry out the excess moisture, and leave the whistle exposed to air so the remainder can dry out. That's about it, except that wooden ones need a bit of oil once in a while.
Got wood?
http://www.Busmanwhistles.com
Let me custom make one for you!
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

on my whistles -just because its fun i make a cotton sheet round and tie a priest knot on it on the middle ( shape it like a indian teepee)and the string comes throught the middle so it is not leaning over but straight inline and about a foot of string and another priest knot on the end for weight to pull through the barrel--------on my metal whistles i use this only to wash /scrub it out -on the wood i use it to wipe out the excess oil-which i pour in rub around with my hands and then wipe offoutside and pull through the inside---------i like to make my own tools for everything---------its just me -i am married with a million kids and this is what a married whistler does when the early lovey dovey phase is over :D -i have a decent carpenter shop in my garage and i am always doodling around :D -because this is what a married whistler does when the lovey dovey phase is over :D
CranberryDog

Post by CranberryDog »

I wasn't planning on going nuts over maintenance; just want to take care of the anodized bores of my aluminium whistles. Here's an excerpt from the MK site: "After playing there is always condensed moisture in the bore and wind-way of the whistle. If left this inevitably leaves a residue which affects the playing qualities of the instrument. In wooden instruments a small amount of moisture helps keep the wood from drying out but with aluminium, despite the bore being hardened by anodising, corrosion (oxidation) occurs. This inevitably reduces the life span and playing qualities of the whistle. By far the best way to clean the bore is to leave a soft absorbent brush (such as those used on saxophones) in the instrument when it is not being played. Occasionally cleaning the bore with warm soapy water can also help". What I am interested in is a bore brush like those used on saxophones that incorporate a mico-cloth that wicks the moisture, which can be left in the bore.

Lightbulb just clicked on; just remembered I have some Flitz cleaning microcloths that wick moisture and could be fashioned into a swab of sorts. Thanks for the suggestions; what a great site. Best.
Tommy

Post by Tommy »

cavefish wrote:on my whistles -just because its fun i make a cotton sheet round and tie a priest knot :D
I was in the Navy and Boy Scouts, never heard of a priest knot. How about a picture? :)
''Whistles of Wood'', cpvc and brass. viewtopic.php?f=1&t=69086
NorthWind
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by NorthWind »

I use a section of rod from a rifle cleaning kit and attach a cotton swab to the end. These are available at many outdoor sporting good stores/departments.

Cotton gun cleaning swabs can be purchased that are about 2 1/2 inches long and in various diameters, so you can match it to the bore size of your whistle. It works great for washing the inside tube of a whistle with a soap solution without any scratching. It might also work well for oiling the tube of a wood whistle (it designed for oiling gun bores).

I suppose if you want to remove moisture from a whistle tube, the swab could be used, or, you can use the plastic slotted tip and cotton cleaning patches that come with most gun cleaning kits. The cotton patches are cheap so you could use a clean patch each time rather than reuse a the cotton swab.
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

Most music shops sell swabs for recorders/piccolos that fit nicely into most D whistles. That's what I use and it only costs around a buck or three. For the larger whistles, try swabs made for larger instruments; clarinet, sax, etc.
I've never left mine in the whistle while not in use though.
cavefish
Tell us something.: been out of it for awhile and decided to start back up on the flute and whistle , been doing NAFs and saxophones

Post by cavefish »

Tommy wrote:
cavefish wrote:on my whistles -just because its fun i make a cotton sheet round and tie a priest knot :D
I was in the Navy and Boy Scouts, never heard of a priest knot. How about a picture? :)
you know what it is----- they use in on rosaries to divide the beads----along with a landyard knot----- picture this (mentally) lay some line along a pencil and wrap around a few times and going back down and then through the loops ,take out the pencil and pull line---------looks like a little behive only the pencil in this case would be the sheet of cloth left in-another word is a stopper/keeper knot---keeps it from going through the sheeve of the block-knots always have alot of names-----------i used to be a knot freek-----------i was a merchant marine, coastguard-
anniemcu
Please enter the next number in sequence: 10
Location: A little left of center, and 100 miles from St. Louis

Post by anniemcu »

I took a foot-long section of Neon Pink 1/4" Delrin rod and fitted it with a flag of chamois. Definitely not mistaken for anyone else's. :D ... and it doesn't shed!!
Last edited by anniemcu on Wed May 16, 2007 5:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
anniemcu
---
"You are what you do, not what you claim to believe." -Gene A. Statler
---
"Olé to you, none-the-less!" - Elizabeth Gilbert
---
http://www.sassafrassgrove.com
cavefish

Post by cavefish »

anniemcu wrote:I took a foot-long section of Neon Pink 1/4" Delrin rod with a flag of chamois. Definitely not mistaken for anyone else's. :D
thats what i need to get is shammy cloth -what was i thinking------------thats perfect :D
straycat82

Post by straycat82 »

anniemcu wrote:I took a foot-long section of Neon Pink 1/4" Delrin rod and fitted it with a flag of chamois. Definitely not mistaken for anyone else's. :D ... and it doesn't shed!!
That's the one thing I don't like about the piccolo/recorder swabs, at least the ones I have; they shed like crazy and I have to blow out all the dust after I swab it.
FearNot
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by FearNot »

Google "flute cleaning rod". Gives a bunch of returns. They only cost about $3 - $5, so get a couple. Then go down to your local Wally World and buy a yard of 100% cotton cloth. Wash it once to get the sizing out and cut it into 2-3 inch squares.