Bob Hallett of Great Big Sea

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
CapnDistracto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Bob Hallett of Great Big Sea

Post by CapnDistracto »

For those unaware, Great Big Sea is a phenomenally talented folk/rock group out of Newfoundland. Currently consisting of members Alan Doyle, Sean McCann, Bob Hallett and Murray Foster (Formerly of Moxy Früvous <3), they're only recently starting to see the same levels of popularlity in the United States and elsewhere as they've seen at home.

I was curious if anyone familiar with the boys had any specific details on whistles Bob plays. I've noted what appears to be a Susato low d in some videos, and I'm sure he has a high d Susato floating around somewhere from the sound I've heard in a few tracks. I was fortunate enough to take my girlfriend to see them in concert at the Hammerstein Ballroom in Manhattan last month, but Bob was wearing a black suit and skulking in the shadows for most of the evening. :lol:
When life gives you lemons...
... Throw'em the hell back until it gives you the damn oranges you asked for in the first place.
ned o the hill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ned o the hill »

In the Hard and the Easy DVD, he can be seen playing a red Susato low D tuneable and an ivory low G (I think) non-tuneable.

One the other DVDs I have, shows him in concert with a black Susato (and silver duct tape at the joint!). I forget which key. On another tune, though, I think he plays an all-black Howard.
(¯¯[]¯¯¯¯ ((¯¯¯¯¯¯¯o¯O¯o¯O¯O¯o¯¯¯¯)

Go gcoinní Dia i mbosa a láimhe thú

Ned o' the Hill
Low Whistler and Goat Whacker
CapnDistracto
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by CapnDistracto »

Thanks very much for the info, Ned. That's a riot about the duct tape, too. :lol:
When life gives you lemons...
... Throw'em the hell back until it gives you the damn oranges you asked for in the first place.
ned o the hill
antispam: No
Please enter the next number in sequence: 8

Post by ned o the hill »

They're a great bunch of guys. Wish we could have half their on-stage energy....
(¯¯[]¯¯¯¯ ((¯¯¯¯¯¯¯o¯O¯o¯O¯O¯o¯¯¯¯)

Go gcoinní Dia i mbosa a láimhe thú

Ned o' the Hill
Low Whistler and Goat Whacker