The Whistle Shop?

The Ultimate On-Line Whistle Community. If you find one more ultimater, let us know.
hathair_bláth
Please enter the next number in sequence: 1

Post by hathair_bláth »

Well, that was fast. So far, so good.

I just got my confirmation and payment email. $22.75 for the lot. Not bad. Now let's see how fast they get here.
Dex

Post by Dex »

As chance would have it I ordered a whistle some weeks ago, I had not received it and followed up with emails to customer support to check on the status, not knowing about Thom's health issues.

I received news from Thom himself (or so the signature says at the bottom of the email)and he assured me that they are still shipping, are somewhat delayed for the reasons we all know about, but that my order will be shipped.

Hope that helps and I for one am praying for his speedy recovery.
Strom

Post by Strom »

I ordered two whistles 3 or 4 weeks back on a thursday and recieved them the next monday here in sunny Florida. Not bad! Three days if you don't count the weekend.

Strom
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Well So far it seems like recent orders from the WS are a mixed bag. I'm still curious to learn of hathair_bláth's findings. Time will tell!

-Eric
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

I give it the thumb's up. :thumbsup:

A Walton Mellow D and an Oak ordered on Monday, a Walton Mellow D and an Oak arrive on Thursday without any trouble.

I am in love with that Oak! :love: And I love the tone of the Walton, though I can't get over how big the bore is compared to my other whistles.
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

Sweet, Good Deal. Thanks hathair_bláth for your willingness to try them out! :)

I hope the shop will stay up, and Thom gets well enough to keep it going, I've done a lot of business with him and the shop in the past, and it's pretty reliable, and I hate when reliable things cease to exist!

-Eric
Chuck_Clark

Post by Chuck_Clark »

hathair_bláth wrote:I give it the thumb's up. :thumbsup:

A Walton Mellow D and an Oak ordered on Monday, a Walton Mellow D and an Oak arrive on Thursday without any trouble.

I am in love with that Oak! :love: And I love the tone of the Walton, though I can't get over how big the bore is compared to my other whistles.
You can have a factory Oak. The only way I managed to like mine was to put one of Mack Hoover's Whitecap mouthpieces on it.

The Walton, however, is a truly lovable little thing. Sweet, easy tone and by far my favorite for playing late at night or at other times when I want to be unobtrusive.
Its Winter - Gotta learn to play the blues
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

Each unto his own. :wink:
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

You can have a factory Oak. The only way I managed to like mine was to put one of Mack Hoover's Whitecap mouthpieces on it
Well, it seems to me if you do this, it's not exactly an Oak anymore. It's now an Oak whistle body, with a Whitecap mouthpiece... So saying you like your "Oak" isn't a fair statement, cause it's really not an Oak anymore...

-Eric
straycat82
antispam: No

Post by straycat82 »

I like oaks too, I think they're up there with Gens and Feadogs in my opinion... even though mine doesn't have an Oak body right now :)
I had a lot of D whistles and wanted to use one of the better ones as a car whistle so I used the Oak but it was quite loud and shrill for the car. I started messing around with swapping heads and such and I ended up with the oak head on a nickle Gen body... I don't know what made the difference but it's a sweet little whistle now, easier on the ears in the car. The black head on the silver nickle body whith a red logo is sharp looking too.
hathair_bláth

Post by hathair_bláth »

I haven't tried swapping heads around yet. :twisted:

There's just something about that Oak. The sound is purer than a Feadog (though I love the reediness of the Feadog too), and I am having the easiest time in the second octave with the Oak than any of my other whistles. It responds so well. I even got into the third octave briefly. That was interesting.
Jason Paul

Post by Jason Paul »

I like the Oak too, but it takes me a little while to get used to it. It doesn't take kindly to too much air. When you work with it though, it seems relatively quiet and has a sweet, clear tone.

Jason
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Every Oak I have has gotten waxed. Wax just makes everything sound better, especially the low notes. I did try a White Cap on the body of an Oak, years ago, but it didn't fit well. I'm sure Mack has that under control.

JP
JohnPalmer

Post by JohnPalmer »

Oh, I forgot. I too would like to buy a couple of whistles from The Whistleshop, but was wondering how things were going. Sounds like hit and miss.

JP
Key_of_D

Post by Key_of_D »

JohnPalmer wrote:Oh, I forgot. I too would like to buy a couple of whistles from The Whistleshop, but was wondering how things were going. Sounds like hit and miss.

JP
Well if you read back, you'll see hathair_bláth just very recently placed an order from the Whistle Shop, got her confirmation e-mail, and the whistles the next week... I would imagine that is answer enough... Best bet is to place an order! :)

-Eric